Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Airstream "In the News"
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 08:35 AM   #461
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDave View Post
It wouldn’t surprise me if this whole social network thing is just a fad. 20 years from now, people will think it’s quaint, and laugh at our silliness. All this graphical enhancement on our computers and iPhones will disappear, and people will begin focusing on getting things done as quickly and efficiently as possible, so they can get OFF their computers and get on with life.
No...they'll be riding in their self-driving Motorhomes while watching videos and texting inside their reality-video-goggle-helmets.

There's little to convince me that mass emails sent via Linkden or other... or than an E-greeting card is a personal touch at all. It's the opposite. It's IMpersonal.
The co-founder of facebook (now with his own company) does not allow his own children to have personal electronic devices before age 14 and limits their activity after that age. During his interview on CBS This Morning he said he wanted them to grow-up "looking people in-in-the-eye and engaged in reality...not mimicing it and distancing themselves from it"
Old 05-22-2018, 09:58 AM   #462
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
In case anyone is heading to the Utah NPS parks, they have issued fire restrictions for the upcoming long weekend:

https://www.nps.gov/arch/learn/news/news051818.htm

Any visitors to Arches could also check the two graffiti events discussed in this thread, and update us on any restoration work, as referenced in the link in Post #363 below.

Have a great Memorial Day weekend, and thank you to all veterans for your service.

Peter

[click on orange arrow to go to this part of the thread]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Interesting article on efforts to mask the "ANDERSEN" graffiti on p. 3 here:

https://www.nps.gov/arch/planyourvis...ws2018_web.pdf
. . .
Old 05-22-2018, 10:15 AM   #463
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Otra - thanks for keeping the links available for review.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:27 AM   #464
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Owner of Andersen Hitches vandalizes in Arches NP

Many of you crack me up on this thread. You sound like my father back in the 80’s when I saved all my hard earned paper route money to buy a computer. He said waste of time and money. He’s now in his 80’s and uses a computer lol.

Times change, society advances. You can’t stop it. How many of you thought 10 years ago that you could come to a web page on a tablet and get help or ideas about your passion of camping and owning an AS?

After all, Airforums IS social media....

Just saying.....
Old 05-22-2018, 12:30 PM   #465
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I am not hear to defend vandalism in any way. However I would caution everyone to study the different documentation offered to support a given claim.

The 2 images presented about @SuspenceFitness look more like photo shopped images than real painted on the rock. The copy of A &N and Teena + Spencer are actually painted on the rock but the @SuspenceFitness copy is not. Note that the letters are quite uniform and unaffected by the surface of the rock while the other copy clearly is effected by the rock surface.

I am not saying that @SuspenceFitness was not painted on something in the park but it was not painted on the rock shown in the picture.

Old 05-22-2018, 12:32 PM   #466
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Then why did the perp apologize?

[click on orange arrow to go to Post #444 and related nearby posts incl. news links]
Quote:
Thanks for the heads up. From the middle of the second article:

"After what was likely a huge amount of backlash, Beaudreault took action himself. He shut down his social media accounts and apparently even his business website. Before his Instagram was deleted, he also wrote this:

" 'I’m so so so so so sorry about this. I am contacting the park to help with the situation.
I did not mean to cause any harm and I obviously was not thinking.' "

[end of quote]
. . .
Old 05-22-2018, 12:35 PM   #467
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
I am not hear to defend vandalism in any way. However I would caution everyone to study the different documentation offered to support a given claim.

The 2 images presented about @SuspenceFitness look more like photo shopped images than real painted on the rock. The copy of A &N and Teena + Spencer are actually painted on the rock but the @SuspenceFitness copy is not. Note that the letters are quite uniform and unaffected by the surface of the rock while the other copy clearly is effected by the rock surface.

I am not saying that @SuspenceFitness was not painted on something in the park but it was not painted on the rock shown in the picture.
Yes the photoshopping was clear to me as soon as I saw the photo. I figured it was illustrative. But as you say, everyone needs to be cautious about what they pass along.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:02 PM   #468
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
The copy of A &N and Teena + Spencer are actually painted on the rock but the @SuspenceFitness copy is not. Note that the letters are quite uniform and unaffected by the surface of the rock while the other copy clearly is effected by the rock surface.
Nope. @SuspenceFitness was written on the rock. Here is the original photo posted by the photographer that discovered it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BisTiebl...-by=citrusmilo

And another angle:

http://kutv.com/news/local/social-me...andals-apology

I also saw the photo that that Spencer Beaudralt posted on his
@Suspencefitness Instagram account, before he took down the account. It was written there as well, along with the description "I had to do it."
Old 05-22-2018, 01:25 PM   #469
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Then why did the perp apologize?

:blink
]
I am not saying that vandalism was not committed I am only calling attention to the fact that Fake News is not limited in application.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:29 PM   #470
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
I am not saying that vandalism was not committed I am only calling attention to the fact that Fake News is not limited in application.

So are you saying that the black writing was not actually done on the rock, but only PhotoShopped onto an image of the rock?

If your only point is "Fake News is not limited in application," how does that generality apply to the image here?

PS -- If folks want to have a "gripe session" about the Internet in general, social networks, fake news, and so forth, may I suggest that someone start a new thread? This thread has a very specific focus, and when/if indictments are issued against the 2 perps, it would be nice to have a concise "on topic" thread to read through for the entire story IMO.
Old 05-22-2018, 02:01 PM   #471
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
See my post a couple back. @SuspenceFitness was written on the rock, so it's not "Fake News." (God I hate that new term. So overused suddenly, can't figure out why though ;-) )
Old 05-22-2018, 02:07 PM   #472
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
. . . and pcskier posted an Instagram link in that earlier Post #468, which link leads to a photo showing the black writing on the rock, taken by the person who called out the perp.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:17 PM   #473
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
The photo I was referring to as 'shopped and was in the original post is here.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:09 AM   #474
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Funny, I thought the picture was photoshopped also. In fact the day the picture was posted on this thread I made a post stating exactly that. Then with a couple minutes of internet searching I discovered it was not fake news and deleted my post.

I think what is throwing everyone off is it was written in magic marker and is probably about 6" long. Look at the size of the lichen growing on the rock next to it or the pine needles on the tree behind it. It's still vandalism, it's still stupid, but it's pretty damn small.

Here's a better picture:
Old 05-23-2018, 10:25 AM   #475
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithcreek View Post
. . . not fake news . . .
Thanks for the detailed clarification.

Peter
Old 05-23-2018, 10:28 AM   #476
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
. . .
If the graffiti is only about 6" long, and drawn in magic marker, does this all make sense now? [per the photo and details in Post #474]

Thanks,

Peter
Old 05-23-2018, 11:59 AM   #477
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Throwing trash out your car window is little different from graffiti—a disrespect for nature and other people's property. One of my neighbors sometimes goes along a part of the road picking up trash, but the 6 or so miles down into a Grand Junction neighborhood, mostly ranchitos, large lots and public land, becomes littered pretty fast with paper, bottles, cans and cardboard. Some must be done by locals and some by tourists. It is easier to remove, but just as ugly.

Western Colorado seems to be notorious for people trashing the roadsides. Some roads have been adopted, but a lot haven't. Mesa County seems to have no program for road adoption and it shows. It is sad a state so beautiful has so many people who only care about themselves and are too lazy to save their trash to thrown away in someplace appropriate.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:41 AM   #478
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Around here it's centered about one beer's worth distance from the local mart.

And you have to love the guys who throw their fast food trash in the back of their pickup bed and find it miraculously emptied when they arrive home.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
Old 05-25-2018, 08:18 AM   #479

2007 28' Safari SE
Richland Center , Wisconsin
My first post: Can't be silent about this one--What a complete idiot! He desecrates not only the national monuments, but insults every person who loves the outdoor beauty of this nation while he makes his money on their backs. This is very sad.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:29 AM   #480
Rivet Master

1958 18' "Footer"
Idyllwild , California
When one considers how long it took these Arches to be like they have become & then how long it takes to destroy one~~~DAMN!
And then how the adults are smiling in front of the selfish act.
1958 California Built 18' #18-4092
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f106...on-122678.html
Closed Thread