Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Airstream "In the News"
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 10:37 AM   #441
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
I contacted the Moab BLM office to find out the current status with the case. I received a response back from Lisa Bryant with the BLM that the entire matter has been elevated to the US Department of Justice in Salt Lake as has been previously mentioned in this thread. I called the provided contact at the US Dept of Justice, Melodie Rydalch this morning and she told me that she cannot make any comments on the case. Not a thing of it being an ongoing investigation, case dropped, nothing. Hopefully the wheels of justice will slowly grind to an appropriate action.
Old 05-09-2018, 10:51 AM   #442
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the detailed update! Nothing unusual IMO about the SLC US Attorney's office being tight-lipped. Before an indictment is issued, they are bound by law to stay silent.

Here is the link once again for that office [from Post #363]:

https://www.justice.gov/usao-ut/pr

They seem to keep this page updated well, so hopefully any indictment would appear here. Reading some of the various press releases, it appears that months could go by from the "bad act" to the indictment. This would put us into summer for more news IMO.

Peter
Old 05-15-2018, 11:56 PM   #443
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
What the Hell is wrong with people?

This time, Angel's Landing in Zion National Park.

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=46320327&nid=1417

http://ksltv.com/395291/man-turns-gr...national-park/

Click image for larger version

Name:	26674880.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	311086
Old 05-16-2018, 01:51 AM   #444
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the heads up. From the middle of the second article:

"After what was likely a huge amount of backlash, Beaudreault took action himself. He shut down his social media accounts and apparently even his business website. Before his Instagram was deleted, he also wrote this:

" 'I’m so so so so so sorry about this. I am contacting the park to help with the situation.
I did not mean to cause any harm and I obviously was not thinking.' "

[end of quote]

As Martee said in Post #362:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martee View Post
. . .
While in the National Parks, my kids say they will be keeping attentive to any potential type of graffiti . . .
. . .

If you see something this summer, say something!

PS -- Another article which also mentions the Ryan Andersen incident:

http://kutv.com/news/local/social-me...andals-apology
Old 05-16-2018, 11:54 AM   #445
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
[QUOTE=OTRA15;2101961]

"After what was likely a huge amount of backlash, Beaudreault took action himself. He shut down his social media accounts and apparently even his business website. Before his Instagram was deleted, he also wrote this:

" 'I’m so so so so so sorry about this. I am contacting the park to help with the situation.
I did not mean to cause any harm and I obviously was not thinking.' "
[end of quote]

I loved that bit. So so so so so (five times) sorry. "I wasn't thinking." It is inconceivable to me that even if 'not thinking', anybody could think it's ok to do this. I mean to me, it's just programmed in as something that would never cross my mind.
Old 05-16-2018, 01:42 PM   #446
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Pcskier:

We would also never think of doing such a thing. We would also feel comfortable telling somebody who we might see doing something like that to stop.

On another note I recently read an interesting article about Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter and more, those are not the only ones just the big names I remember.
(no AirForums was not there yet)
The article talked about a person getting so tied to these instant gratification things. Without it one starts to feel invalid, unvalidated or irrelevant.

I bring that up because of the last damage photograph that you guys showed and it had the little Instagram hashtag. (Or is that the tweet symbol)

Although I love air forms we tend to live the real life and don't worry too much about thumbs up, likes, retweets, hashtags, instaface snitter.

I was at a concert recently where the artist told the young lady in front of him if you put your phone down for a second you could see me I'm actually right in front of you.

Hittenstiehl
Old 05-16-2018, 05:48 PM   #447
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
Pcskier:

We would also never think of doing such a thing. We would also feel comfortable telling somebody who we might see doing something like that to stop.

On another note I recently read an interesting article about Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter and more, those are not the only ones just the big names I remember.
(no AirForums was not there yet)
The article talked about a person getting so tied to these instant gratification things. Without it one starts to feel invalid, unvalidated or irrelevant.

I bring that up because of the last damage photograph that you guys showed and it had the little Instagram hashtag. (Or is that the tweet symbol)

Although I love air forms we tend to live the real life and don't worry too much about thumbs up, likes, retweets, hashtags, instaface snitter.

I was at a concert recently where the artist told the young lady in front of him if you put your phone down for a second you could see me I'm actually right in front of you.
A few years ago I went to see Pat Metheny's "Orchestrion" concert. Very cool and different. They announced beforehand that any cell phone use for pictures or recordings were strictly forbidden. At some point during the show, he did a hard stop, looked out into the crowd and basically said: "You were asked to not take pictures with your phones, so why would you just go ahead and do that? It's rude, inconsiderate to me and others around you, and shows total disregard for what was requested. And, yes, sir, I am speaking DIRECTLY to YOU." It was precious. He was in eye contact with this guy, who shrank into the floor he was so embarassed.

And then the show went on.

It amazes me at concerts now, it a sea of cell phones in the air, for low quality video clips that will be posted to Facebook or Snapchat. Even worse, selfies with the performers behind the person taking the selfie...so they aren't even facing the stage at that point. "Look where I am" has become more important than actually ENJOYING where one is. Whether its a concert or a mountaintop. Pathetic.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:30 PM   #448
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
It wouldn’t surprise me if this whole social network thing is just a fad. 20 years from now, people will think it’s quaint, and laugh at our silliness. All this graphical enhancement on our computers and iPhones will disappear, and people will begin focusing on getting things done as quickly and efficiently as possible, so they can get OFF their computers and get on with life.
Old 05-18-2018, 12:55 AM   #449
2 Rivet Member

Surfside Beach , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Smith View Post
I wonder if spray paint would cover red plastic. Keep the functionality, delete the advertising.

Sprayed mine with that rubberized paint. Works great, but gravel sticks to them. My thinking was since I already have them just deface them just like the Andersons did.
Old 05-18-2018, 03:39 AM   #450
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post

It amazes me at concerts now, it a sea of cell phones in the air, for low quality video clips that will be posted to Facebook or Snapchat. Even worse, selfies with the performers behind the person taking the selfie...so they aren't even facing the stage at that point. "Look where I am" has become more important than actually ENJOYING where one is. Whether its a concert or a mountaintop. Pathetic.
Ironically my kids say older people are creeping into social media and have ruined Facebook. I like seeing what my friends are up to, and it provides an important outlet for people frustrated with politics and needing to vent.
Old 05-18-2018, 12:00 PM   #451
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Owner of Andersen Hitches vandalizes in Arches NP

Heh, I’m convinced Facebook and their imitations are more of a security risk than they are worth. But that may be because I’m still working, post-retirement as a computer security expert.

I’d rather have a face-to-face conversation, personally.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
Old 05-18-2018, 12:51 PM   #452
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
Ironically my kids say older people are creeping into social media and have ruined Facebook. I like seeing what my friends are up to, and it provides an important outlet for people frustrated with politics and needing to vent.

Older people taking an interest? That should kill it within five years or so....
Old 05-18-2018, 01:43 PM   #453
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
I think the key is being responsible in how you use these tools. We like Facebook for keeping friends and relatives up to speed on our family. It doesn’t take the place of a good call or video call with those closest, but the efficiency is incredible to touch a wide audience, I simply couldn’t call everyone to give them and update.

In the business world. LinkedIn allows the same. Spending 5-10 minutes a night I can congratulate 10-15 people on new jobs, work anniversaries, etc with a personal touch that builds relationships and is useful in recruiting. I simply could take the time to call 15 people a day to congratulate them. This powerful tool allows us to reach many in an extremely efficient manner, strengthening relationships which enhances the one on one conversations when they occur.
Old 05-18-2018, 04:05 PM   #454
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Richfield/SLC , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDave View Post
Older people taking an interest? That should kill it within five years or so....

...or vice-versa, if they take it too seriously. 🧐

Regards - Ron
Old 05-18-2018, 04:13 PM   #455
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
The recent incident in Zion National Park would also come under the jurisdiction of the US Attorney's office in Salt Lake City, I believe, so the PR link below would announce an indictment against this perp, as well as Ryan Andersen for the earlier graffiti IMO. One new unrelated PR on the list today FWIW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Thanks for the detailed update! Nothing unusual IMO about the SLC US Attorney's office being tight-lipped. Before an indictment is issued, they are bound by law to stay silent.

Here is the link once again for that office [from Post #363]:

https://www.justice.gov/usao-ut/pr

They seem to keep this page updated well, so hopefully any indictment would appear here. Reading some of the various press releases, it appears that months could go by from the "bad act" to the indictment. This would put us into summer for more news IMO.

If you see something, say something!"

Old 05-18-2018, 05:12 PM   #456
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Saw signs all over Capitol Reef and Bryce Canyon while we were there. The fine for damaging National Park lands with graffiti is a whopping $300 bucks. That’s it. $300 bucks for damaging or destroying a timeless irreplaceable national treasure. Wow.

Old 05-19-2018, 04:01 AM   #457
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Saw signs all over Capitol Reef and Bryce Canyon while we were there. The fine for damaging National Park lands with graffiti is a whopping $300 bucks. That’s it. $300 bucks for damaging or destroying a timeless irreplaceable national treasure. Wow.
They need to add at least 1 or 2 zeroes to that fine!
Old 05-19-2018, 10:16 AM   #458
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
The RVers of the world, the campers of the world, the environmentalists of the world, the tree huggers, the scouts, the Americans, the WORLD needs to apply an infinite number of zeros in shame and negative peer pressure including ecconomic ruin to that fine. This type of defacement needs to be such a taboo in our culture that it never, ever happens. Pat
Old 05-19-2018, 01:14 PM   #459
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Foster View Post
They need to add at least 1 or 2 zeroes to that fine!
Yeah, because one thing the government needs is more money.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Old 05-19-2018, 06:49 PM   #460
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Maybe there shouldn’t be fines for any destructive behavior, because everyone knows better than to do such a thing? Oh wait...not.

Closed Thread