Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 05:03 PM   #301
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
So, I wonder if the CEO of Airstream had scribbled "Airstream" across the rock how many people would torch their trailers to teach him a lesson.

Very good point. I’m to cheap to throw my red levers away, maybe I’ll paint them black though. Definitely Won’t do any more business with Andersen, but don’t like throwing money away.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:49 PM   #302
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Moss Point , Mississippi
Can't give him the benefit of the doubt that it was just a 'stupid mistake'. He is very likely responsible for the 2016 carving of '16 Andersen' and the business of changing license plates out to try and foil tracking shows a mindfulness and premeditation that raises this far above just a 'stupid mistake'.

Dave
Old 04-17-2018, 06:19 PM   #303
1 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
boise , Idaho
Boycott happily accepted. Grown adults acting like toddlers, this goes gainst everything an outdoor enthusiast should stand for.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:16 PM   #304
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelnStones View Post
The apology was first linked in Post #125:

[click on orange arrow to go to that post]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
In his post he seems contrite. Let's see if he follows through on his pledges. I hope he does.
. . . and the later posts contain some interesting views and suggestions.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:18 PM   #305
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
EGNAR , Colorado
I'm glad i shared it on facebook. What an IDIOT.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:13 PM   #306
1 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Not that in matter, but Corona Arch is on BLM land and not in Arches National Park.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:26 PM   #307
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
For the umpteenth time, he thought a lot about what he did. He persisted doing it when others shouted at him to stop. He sent his kids down to the parking lot ahead of them to change his license plates. BTW, who with good intentions has a second set of license plates in their vehicle, ready for use at a moment's notice? Oh, he thought plenty, he did. I have no doubt he's done this before and would have continued doing it if not for this protest against his irresponsible destructive behavior while owning, operating, and representing an allegedly "premier" outdoor brand. Accountability matters. That man deserves whatever happens to his business as a result of his behavior.

Old 04-17-2018, 09:01 PM   #308
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
I totally agree, he is a criminal and needs to pay a BIG price for his actions. I feel sorry for his employees but he did this to them.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:04 PM   #309
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
This happens a lot, except only some people are so dumb to either post their vandalism online or let someone take their photos. Years ago we found rangers at Canyonlands did not tell people where rock art was because there was so much vandalism—that was about 30 years ago and it is worse now.

This is awful and I am glad we got to see the sights of southern Utah years ago—and are going back in a few days to Bears’ Ears NM (or what is left of it) before that gets overrun, vandalized more or leased to mineral and hydrocarbon developers.

So what is the proper punishment? The boys, depending on their age, may be juveniles. They may claim they had to change plates because their father demanded it and they may get off. The wife only watched and there is not a duty to report something like this. The perp not only damaged federal property, but also can be charged with child abuse depending on the boys ages, and the license plate scam is also illegal. He will be dealt with by the courts and his sentence will depend on his record (if any). His business will suffer and costs of that will expand outward to innocent employees.

If the “Anderson” carved elsewhere can be traced to him, penalties will be much more severe.

His apology does not make up for the stupidity of his actions and attempts to cover up. However, is it fair to totally ruin the guy? How does this compare with a felony assault on another person? Someone may get a few years for that and that may be enough to ruin his or her life. I don’t know a good answer, but let us have some perspective.

What is also sad about this is that many of us expect a corporate CEO to be arrogant enough to do something like this as we become a nation ruled by such people.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:14 PM   #310
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Walmart sells his products...wonder if corporate knows about this incident? There are other ways to skin a cat.... If you can get arrested at starbucks for waiting for a friend, then what should be the penalty for defacing America? Crazy country we live in today. People have no respect for one another anymore. Maybe it's time to let the legal system do their thing. Any court dates yet?
Old 04-17-2018, 09:41 PM   #311
Rivet Master

1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Colorado Springs , Colorado
This vaunted verbose vitriolic verse of vivacious vengefulness vaguely varies its vernacular. After reading the article, he traced, not carved his name. I do not defend his actions, but I condemn vengefulness. I also condemn threatening a family's home. This thread is pure venom.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:02 PM   #312
jwp
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by streaminwild View Post
Walmart sells his products...wonder if corporate knows about this incident? There are other ways to skin a cat.... If you can get arrested at starbucks for waiting for a friend, then what should be the penalty for defacing America? Crazy country we live in today. People have no respect for one another anymore. Maybe it's time to let the legal system do their thing. Any court dates yet?
Anyone know if their company has a twitter presence and/or if this event has been given a platform there? You can reach a ton pf people there whereas here is a fairly small population segment.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:53 PM   #313
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Make a commitment to "Leave No Trace" when you visit public lands. Pat
Old 04-18-2018, 12:10 AM   #314
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweety7754 View Post
No doubt the guy made a BIG mistake and set a horrible example for his kids, but who among us hasn't done something stupid without thinking? (Let the person who has never done something stupid cast the first stone.) In the past, without social media, how many of us could have done something that, in retrospect, could have cost us business, a reputation, public shame, ect? Probably a lot. I just think that ruining his business with boycotts and taking away his way of providing for his family is not right, either. It was stupid, of course, but I think he is going to pay for it in plenty of ways without taking away his family's financial security. Just my opinion.
He did NOT just make ONE stupid mistake... he is now making a calculated "spin" waiting for some other event to push his bad behavior off of our top of mind awareness.

If there is another Las Vegas type shooting, or a tornado hits the WBCCI International Meeting this year, he will be in his office with the curtains drawn dancing from relief.

A real mea culpa? Real amends? Really even getting it? I would be glad to see it and ready, but watchful, to forgiving. (Just don't repeat... fool me twice and I'm a fool.)
Old 04-18-2018, 12:43 AM   #315
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
TOTAL HIJACK and about time too.

I saw IT today. The same egg camper pulled by a Sprinter I saw in Florida! I toured it. I want it... and I think as I retire from full-timing it will be what replaces the Airstream as a weekender I can pull with a sedan or minivan.

Google "happier campers" HCI egg camper. Fiberglass, even the floor! Interior cubes that fit and swap like Legos, rear hatch with optional tent extension. Starting price $20k.

Basecamp was never impressive to me and Nest? At more than twice the price?

I have been an Airstreamer for a dozen years and Thor hasn't done anything that is publically WRONG and stupid.... someone else just showed me a MUCH BETTER mousetrap. They are marketing to millenials, but this little egg is senior friendly too. Super lightweight is good.

Goal for transition ONE WEEK of sober reflection and planning. If it still seems like a good idea, January 2019.
Old 04-18-2018, 05:05 AM   #316
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vycan View Post
This vaunted verbose vitriolic verse of vivacious vengefulness vaguely varies its vernacular. After reading the article, he traced, not carved his name. I do not defend his actions, but I condemn vengefulness. I also condemn threatening a family's home. This thread is pure venom.
Mods need to shut this down.
Old 04-18-2018, 05:09 AM   #317
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
What is also sad about this is that many of us expect a corporate CEO to be arrogant enough to do something like this as we become a nation ruled by such people.

Gene
Ruled by such people? Seriously.
Old 04-18-2018, 05:48 AM   #318
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
TOTAL HIJACK and about time too.

I saw IT today. The same egg camper pulled by a Sprinter I saw in Florida! I toured it. I want it... and I think as I retire from full-timing it will be what replaces the Airstream as a weekender I can pull with a sedan or minivan.

Google "happier campers" HCI egg camper. Fiberglass, even the floor! Interior cubes that fit and swap like Legos, rear hatch with optional tent extension. Starting price $20k.

Basecamp was never impressive to me and Nest? At more than twice the price?

I have been an Airstreamer for a dozen years and Thor hasn't done anything that is publically WRONG and stupid.... someone else just showed me a MUCH BETTER mousetrap. They are marketing to millenials, but this little egg is senior friendly too. Super lightweight is good.

Goal for transition ONE WEEK of sober reflection and planning. If it still seems like a good idea, January 2019.
Interesting design - and a lifestyle change from an Airstream.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:05 AM   #319
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vycan View Post
+1

Peace
Old 04-18-2018, 06:53 AM   #320
Stay Calm and Stream On

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Palm Springs , California
I wonder if the graffiti can be filled in... an artist who works with this type of stone could make it invisible... who know?
Closed Thread