Old 04-11-2018, 11:40 AM   #197
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtandem View Post
Does this thread violate Community Rules; "be courteous" ?
No it does not, in my opinion. Everyone is being entirely courteous in discussing an outrageous act -- again in my personal opinion. Sometimes such an act will leave some irregular flotsam and jetsam in its wake.

"Don't shoot the messenger," in other words.

Your mileage may vary . . .

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 12:04 PM   #198
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Courtesy is underrated and ignored far too often, BUT are there not times where discourtesy is actually required? I see a driver ahead of me at a toll booth - old beater car with NO a/c and a sweaty 4 year old child sitting in the rear window, with only her lower legs inside the car. Four lanes of traffic and a dozen apalled looking drivers watching. I slam on the brakes, hit the flashers, run to that car and yell "Get that child IN the car with a seatbelt ON, or I will place you under citizens arrest and call the cops!" "But she's hot" is the response. "If she falls out she could fracture her skull, so let her be Safe and miserable you stupid cow!" -- OK THAT was rude.

I go back and jump in my car to the faint applause of 2-3 other drivers and follow the woman home where I note her address and inform social services. (Good friend in the dept. Let me know that mom was "encouraged" to take parenting classes - which she obviously needed. Hope she benefited)

Thinking about it... why did NO ONE ELSE jump in? Good manners? Even good parents get frazzled and tired and lose focus. Many are clueless because their own parents were vying for the Darwin Award. That woman probably got NO lasting benefit from my rudeness. But I know her daughter didn't go to the hospital that night.

Courtesy IS a good thing.
So is forgiveness.

Making amends and deserving forgiveness is probably a better thing.

Teaching your kids to make thoughtful and good choices? Probably the best thing.

Old 04-11-2018, 12:09 PM   #199
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
Interjection of a comic/cartoon creature into this criminal activity is a revolting idea, in my opinion.
Using the crime-dog "Take a Bite out of Crime" would serve the purpose. (preferably with the dog holding the seat-of-pants torn out of Ryan's prison-uniform in the dog's mouth.)
I would love to see your dog biting idea for adults, but kids might take offence.
The cartoon/ comic idea would cater to future generations starting at a young age. Some kids will listen to a''stranger'' raccoon, rather than their own parents. A tearful raccoon looking at a trashed river, saying ''This is my home'', would send a powerful message to kids. This reminds me of the tearful Indian commercial in the 70's for pollution................ Trying to make a negative incident into a positive outcome.
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 12:09 PM   #200
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:

I didn't think so - so if I've personally been discourteous, please let me know how. It happens sometimes....I'm just trying to problem-solve....
SteveSueMac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 06:29 PM   #201
Lynnsr

2018 20' Flying Cloud
Colorado Springs , Colorado
The Anderson hitch the most publicity they've ever had)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
I didn't think so - so if I've personally been discourteous, please let me know how. It happens sometimes....I'm just trying to problem-solve....
I am in reading this blog last For five days, sometimes laughing in stitches. I have never seen so many people that would hang someone for such, what is actually a minor offense in the grand scheme (Read my blogs you'll find that I think he's an idiot also)

But come on stevesumac you're "just trying to problem solve" I think you need a status check.

In the first place is not your problem to solve.... (if you have no ability to fix it, then it's not yours)

In the second place the authorities are taking care of him as part of the normal process

Go camping, enjoy!

LynnSr
Old 04-11-2018, 06:43 PM   #202
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnsr View Post
I am in reading this blog last For five days, sometimes laughing in stitches. I have never seen so many people that would hang someone for such, what is actually a minor offense in the grand scheme (Read my blogs you'll find that I think he's an idiot also)

But come on stevesumac you're "just trying to problem solve" I think you need a status check.

In the first place is not your problem to solve.... (if you have no ability to fix it, then it's not yours)

In the second place the authorities are taking care of him as part of the normal process

Go camping, enjoy!

LynnSr

Hi - I'm open to your status check.

Here's what I think:

1) Andersen asked for suggestions on how to make this better - I offered my thoughts. I'm hoping it might make a difference

2) as a former customer (admittedly for a small chunk of change overall) I feel I have a right and obligation to speak out.

3) There's a lot of land in America that American citizens own or share rights in using. So I actually think I can try to mitigate the problem of vandalism of our shared property by speaking out against it.

Maybe I'm naive.

My single actions won't mean anything. If 1,000,000 people felt the same way and took the same actions - would things be different? If 10,000,000 felt that way? 370,000,000?

My country, my land, my resources, my problem - I am trying to fix it.

I don't blame you for laughing.

Would you join me though?
SteveSueMac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 07:01 PM   #203
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
Imagine if we all left our mark..it would be so awful. He had enough warnings to stop and chose not to. Maximum is $100,000 and 1 year in jail. He needs to make a sweet deal of lots of money and community service to prevent this from happening as often as we can.

Should now be his lifeline goal are the consequences for his business and employees are grave. If he cannot do this then I for one would like him to have jail time.

Become a better person for the rest of your life. You have desecrated something that took millions of years to make for all of us to enjoy.

Hope the powers that be can find out if he did the other Andersen. I think that is possible.

Glad my chocks and levelers are not red.

Sorry but some of you are being to kind..now is not the time.
badkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 07:07 PM   #204
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
-- snip --- laughing in stitches. --- snip -- not your problem to solve.... -- snip --
Not a laughing matter and the defacement of public lands is everyone's problem to solve. Without the involvement of a bystander, this perp would have not been identified. No, not a laughing matter. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 07:50 PM   #205
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Jacksonville , Florida
Quote:

Go camping, enjoy!

LynnSr
LynnSr, I'm not entirely sure what a "status check" is, but if we all felt that the defacement of public lands is not our problem to solve, we may not be able to "go camping, enjoy" as you suggest. We are allowed to express our opinions and possible solutions regarding this criminal act as SSM did. Personally, I feel there is no punishment harsh enough for this man, especially if he is a repeat offender.
He committed a willful act of destruction against OUR property and hopefully will feel the legal, personal, and business repercussions that he so dearly deserves.
DMP54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:32 PM   #206
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
Quote:

Go camping, enjoy!

LynnSr
EXCUSE ME! But this IS my land and I take offense to anyone who says this is not my my problem to voice my concern over those who choose to disrespect it. Please include your address so I can carve my initials on your property for you to enjoy.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:59 PM   #207
2 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Oregon
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
EXCUSE ME! But this IS my land and I take offense to anyone who says this is not my my problem to voice my concern over those who choose to disrespect it. Please include your address so I can carve my initials on your property for you to enjoy.
I bet I can beat you there first!
It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. The importance of that expression doubles in significance if you made the conscious decision to "go without it" and then ended up needing it.
EarStreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 01:55 AM   #208
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
May I join the chorus . . .

"This land is your land, this land is my land
From California to the New York island
From the redwood forest, to the Gulf Stream waters
This land was made for you and me

"As I went walking that ribbon of highway
I saw above me that endless skyway
And saw below me that golden valley
This land was made for you and me"

Woody Guthrie
Copyright 1956
[Renewed many times thereafter]
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 04:40 AM   #209
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
I believe this land "was your land" unless you own a fracking company, then maybe you can lease it and call it your land again.
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 04:52 AM   #210
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Social media flamers vrs. Wild West lynch mob.

Discuss.

Regards,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote