Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 03:28 PM   #181
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Search "Camco levelers" on Amazon. Should pop up readily...the anti-slip appears to be part of the chocks now.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
Old 04-10-2018, 03:30 PM   #182
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Sioux Falls , SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
There are a lot of folks who just do not understand the "leave no trace" protocol for public lands. There are a lot of people who think "boys will be boys" or similar. There are a lot of folks who do not think ........
EXACTLY

Way to many people do not teach their kids this simple philosophy BECAUSE they do not follow it

I point it out to them EVERY chance I get.
Better to live one day a lion than a lifetime a sheep. Camp hard, camp often
Old 04-10-2018, 03:42 PM   #183
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Unforgivable actions of destruction ...
Old 04-10-2018, 04:05 PM   #184
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
The Camco levelers looks smaller (pictures can be deceiving I know). Are they smaller and are they lighter?

Just curious.

Thanks!

Yes smaller (shorter), yes lighter. I'm looking forward to using them!
Old 04-10-2018, 04:09 PM   #185
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
They are shorter, a bit lighter (less plastic) and a bit easier to carry due to their design. The bottom of the curved ramp is still smooth and could slip. Two ways to address this: (1) Friction tape - I still have some left from having bought this for those red levelers. It worked for them, so I will try it again here. (2) stainless steel screws added to the smooth bottom of the leveler. In this case, the levelers already have small holes in the bottom (I imagine for water drainage) and it would actually be quite easy to drive screws of the proper size into a few well-chosen holes for improved traction, similar to studded snow tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
The Camco levelers looks smaller (pictures can be deceiving I know). Are they smaller and are they lighter?

Just curious.

Thanks!

Old 04-10-2018, 11:31 PM   #186
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Just opened the portal and could not find this thread. It is not enough to recycle and forget. A very nice lady just said, she was not going to shut up. Not specifically about this subject, but we should adopt her dedication. Get the word out. Be active. Make your point. Be clever, be loud, be in the game. You can't damage, deface, disrespect, destroy our great country. Conservation and adventure are not exclusive.

Teach the kids to use photoshop, not a hammer and chisel..... to make monuments in the mind, not on public lands...... to take pictures, not rocks..... to respect the beauty of nature, and never yield to the stupidity of the moment. Never shut up! Pat

Next, step to the microphone, please!

Edit - still no change in the website "news" or "about us" section .....?????
Old 04-11-2018, 04:23 AM   #187
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
The portal lists only the most recent posts, which this now is!

Good points, Pat.

Old 04-11-2018, 05:38 AM   #188
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
So that new readers don't have to go back and find the links, here is the apology and "contrite" photo from Post #125 etc. :

https://ryan-andersen.org/

Reminds one of a scene from Lonesome Dove, in which Capt. Call [Tommie Lee Jones] puts a whoopin' on a cavalry scout who was beating one of the hands on the cattle drive. [Call's son it turns out, as we learned later in the movie]

"I hate rude behavior in a man . . . won't tolerate it." [time stamp 0:55]

[Warning -- the following video clip contains violence and graphic footage of a fight in the Old West.]
[ . . . Watch at your own peril . . . ]
Old 04-11-2018, 05:45 AM   #189
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
The other day I saw the Camco levelers packaged with an anti-slip mat. I can't find it now.
Oops, it was the red ones. Cancel the order.

Camcos on their way.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:24 AM   #190
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
So that new readers don't have to go back and find the links, here is the apology and "contrite" photo from Post #125 etc. :

https://ryan-andersen.org/

...snip....

Also note that from his "apology" site, there's a link to help him figure out how to make this right. While I've received no acknowledgment of my note submitted on that form (see text below sent Saturday morning, email address is included in the online form), I am assuming he is seeing/reading these. Despite no response from the form and no response to multiple emails sent to the company directly, I would still encourage people to offer your thoughts as you see fit.

Here's the text of what I submitted to the apology site FYI:

An apology is a good start. But apparently others warned you about this before you did it and you did it anyway. And the news told of some chicanery you involved your kids in to switch license plates to avoid recognition. There's more here than is covered in your apology.

First - I've already emailed your company wanting to return the levelers I bought for a refund. I've been free advertising for you for 4 years directing countless fellow campers to you who were intrigued by your admittedly outstanding product. I've raved about your products in online forums. And despite the online wars about hitches (and my use of something else) I've encouraged some to check out your innovative trailer hitch. I regret that. I don't want to use your products anymore and be associated with your actions or company in any way.

As for next steps - first - you need to address whether you had any involvement with another carving of ANDERSEN that's been making its way around the Internet. If that's you - you need to own up to that immediately.

Second - a 7 figure donation to BLM and National Parks would be a good start - but an ongoing % of Andersen Hitch revenues and your personal income would be a good sign.

Third - a permanent, sustained, sincere, effective self-funded educational program to fight against this kind of senseless, selfish vandalism of treasures for which we all must be stewards seems essential.

There's more but this is the bare minimum for starters.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:08 AM   #191
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
-- snip --Third - a permanent, sustained, sincere, effective self-funded educational program to fight against this kind of senseless, selfish vandalism of treasures for which we all must be stewards seems essential. -- snip --
SSM - YES - a "life change" commitment. Appropriate and well stated.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:35 AM   #192
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Thanks for the link OTRA15. Mr. A. could have picked a more subdued picture, but the letter sounds sincere. Actions speak louder than words, so lets see what his next move is. Donating to blm land before an assessment of damage would be a good start. Sponsoring a cleanup operation at blm campgrounds is another good example. Instead of Smoky the bear, Have Ryan the raccoon promoting leave no trace...ok bad idea. Ricky the raccoon? Start a National campground cleanup day in the fall. Any other suggestions? Nice letter SSM...the inspiration for this post.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:10 AM   #193
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Ryan/Ricky the Raccoon! Great idea! Use the form on his apology site!
Old 04-11-2018, 10:44 AM   #194
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Interjection of a comic/cartoon creature into this criminal activity is a revolting idea, in my opinion.
Using the crime-dog "Take a Bite out of Crime" would serve the purpose. (preferably with the dog holding the seat-of-pants torn out of Ryan's prison-uniform in the dog's mouth.)
Old 04-11-2018, 10:50 AM   #195
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Well, I hear that Boxite. The damage is done and I certainly don't want to make light of it. There could be a hundred things to make this redemptive and better for the future - if a cartoon character helps with that - great. What other ways could we suggest to them??

I still recycled the levelers and will continue to speak out. No single right approach to react and improve....
Old 04-11-2018, 11:00 AM   #196
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Does this thread violate Community Rules; "be courteous" ?
Old 04-11-2018, 11:40 AM   #197
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtandem View Post
No it does not, in my opinion. Everyone is being entirely courteous in discussing an outrageous act -- again in my personal opinion. Sometimes such an act will leave some irregular flotsam and jetsam in its wake.

"Don't shoot the messenger," in other words.

Your mileage may vary . . .
Old 04-11-2018, 12:04 PM   #198
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Courtesy is underrated and ignored far too often, BUT are there not times where discourtesy is actually required? I see a driver ahead of me at a toll booth - old beater car with NO a/c and a sweaty 4 year old child sitting in the rear window, with only her lower legs inside the car. Four lanes of traffic and a dozen apalled looking drivers watching. I slam on the brakes, hit the flashers, run to that car and yell "Get that child IN the car with a seatbelt ON, or I will place you under citizens arrest and call the cops!" "But she's hot" is the response. "If she falls out she could fracture her skull, so let her be Safe and miserable you stupid cow!" -- OK THAT was rude.

I go back and jump in my car to the faint applause of 2-3 other drivers and follow the woman home where I note her address and inform social services. (Good friend in the dept. Let me know that mom was "encouraged" to take parenting classes - which she obviously needed. Hope she benefited)

Thinking about it... why did NO ONE ELSE jump in? Good manners? Even good parents get frazzled and tired and lose focus. Many are clueless because their own parents were vying for the Darwin Award. That woman probably got NO lasting benefit from my rudeness. But I know her daughter didn't go to the hospital that night.

Courtesy IS a good thing.
So is forgiveness.

Making amends and deserving forgiveness is probably a better thing.

Teaching your kids to make thoughtful and good choices? Probably the best thing.
Old 04-11-2018, 12:09 PM   #199
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
Interjection of a comic/cartoon creature into this criminal activity is a revolting idea, in my opinion.
Using the crime-dog "Take a Bite out of Crime" would serve the purpose. (preferably with the dog holding the seat-of-pants torn out of Ryan's prison-uniform in the dog's mouth.)
I would love to see your dog biting idea for adults, but kids might take offence.
The cartoon/ comic idea would cater to future generations starting at a young age. Some kids will listen to a''stranger'' raccoon, rather than their own parents. A tearful raccoon looking at a trashed river, saying ''This is my home'', would send a powerful message to kids. This reminds me of the tearful Indian commercial in the 70's for pollution................ Trying to make a negative incident into a positive outcome.
Old 04-11-2018, 12:09 PM   #200
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:

I didn't think so - so if I've personally been discourteous, please let me know how. It happens sometimes....I'm just trying to problem-solve....
Closed Thread