Old 01-16-2013, 07:58 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Can you say.....CGI.

I doubt if any of it actually happened.

Now this is a REAL Nissan ad......
Nissan commercial - YouTube

Bob
Dang - now the secrets out - I always told people we owned a Nissan because of its towing capability .......

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:14 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Can anyone identify the trailer in the ad? is it a 26' or 28'? it looks almost as long as my 30'. does anyone know the weight of the trailer? Seems like mine is 7300# empty. That new Pathfinder has a CVT and a 5000# towing capacity. Basically, there ain't no way...I guess he could tow a really large Airstream trailer with his Nissan Pathfinder because he braced himself...you see, he knew something about the levels of gravitivity and polarity...

Old 01-16-2013, 10:50 AM   #17

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Can anyone identify the trailer in the ad? is it a 26' or 28'? it looks almost as long as my 30'. does anyone know the weight of the trailer? Seems like mine is 7300# empty. That new Pathfinder has a CVT and a 5000# towing capacity. Basically, there ain't no way...I guess he could tow a really large Airstream trailer with his Nissan Pathfinder because he braced himself...you see, he knew something about the levels of gravitivity and polarity...
The Airstream in the video is a '70s trailer, even if it's not gutted inside it'll weigh MUCH less than your new widebody.

<edit> Airstream's marketing docs claimed a '73 Overlander Twin had a "total weight" of 4545 lb. Even if that's empty weight, it would be within the realm of possibility for the Pathfinder to tow empty in the very flat environment shown in the video. I'm not saying I'd go out and buy one as a tow vehicle, I don't believe in CVTs for heavy work, but they could at least get the video done without CGI or stripping the interior of the trailer.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 05:05 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Ashland , Oregon
We tow our 2001 19-foot Bambi with a 2007 Nissan Pathfinder. The tow capacity is 6,000 lbs. and we've had no problems. If we move to a larger trailer, however, we'd have to upgrade our tv. No way would we tow anything larger than what we have with the Pathfinder.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:19 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraYacht View Post
I also noted that the safety chains and lights/brake power connector were not hooked up: I wonder what happened when hey got off-stage?
I call CGI on that. He had no WD hitch or anti-sway control. As far as I can tell the new Pathfinder is way outselling the old one. I see one on the road almost every day. Many people like the looks of it, but I am partial to my old school Pathy. I would not be opposed to buying one, just wouldn't tow the 'Stream with it.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:33 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Lawrence , Kansas
I am towing my 64 Trade Wind with a 2013 Nissan. Might be a little low in the back by an inch but with 6000 miles of towing I am happy. Good gas mileage and enough power to get up the hills. The CVT trans as been great so far. I think the lack of shifting is an advantage towing.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:07 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1998 25' Safari
Mascouche , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
The Airstream in the video is a '70s trailer, even if it's not gutted inside it'll weigh MUCH less than your new widebody. <edit> Airstream's marketing docs claimed a '73 Overlander Twin had a "total weight" of 4545 lb. Even if that's empty weight, it would be within the realm of possibility for the Pathfinder to tow empty in the very flat environment shown in the video. I'm not saying I'd go out and buy one as a tow vehicle, I don't believe in CVTs for heavy work, but they could at least get the video done without CGI or stripping the interior of the trailer.
I am in the market for a 1973 25 ft trade wind. They state a dry weight of 4180 lb.

I am expecting is weight camping ready a 5000 lb... Am I wrong?? So far I have never heard of someone going to a scale with this unit...

I was looking for a 2011 v8 pathfinder with a tow capacity of 7000 lb, but with what you said the 2011 v6 (6000 lb) could be enough...
Old 10-29-2013, 10:31 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
I call CGI on that. He had no WD hitch or anti-sway control. As far as I can tell the new Pathfinder is way outselling the old one. I see one on the road almost every day. Many people like the looks of it, but I am partial to my old school Pathy. I would not be opposed to buying one, just wouldn't tow the 'Stream with it.
There's no CGI in that clip. Don't forget, CGI is expensive, even today. Unless you really, really need it you don't use it and it certainly wasn't used for that short video.

I've been shooting commercials for 20 years now, we've used CGI twice, on big budget productions.

Anyway, I like the second commercial better.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:53 AM   #23

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck944 View Post
I am in the market for a 1973 25 ft trade wind. They state a dry weight of 4180 lb.

I am expecting is weight camping ready a 5000 lb... Am I wrong?? So far I have never heard of someone going to a scale with this unit...

I was looking for a 2011 v8 pathfinder with a tow capacity of 7000 lb, but with what you said the 2011 v6 (6000 lb) could be enough...
Generally Airstream's claimed weights were very optimistic. In the 70s, air conditioners were optional and not included in the rated weight, and I'm not sure if the quoted numbers generally included propane, but I believe they assumed empty water and holding tanks.

EDIT: I think that 800-900 lb of stuff in a Tradewind-sized trailer is a reasonable estimate of what you'd be taking with you, by the way. I'm just saying you may need to find the actual empty weight of the trailer before using that to size your tow vehicle.

I'm not familiar with Pathfinder specs, but one dirty trick that the American full-sized pickup manufacturers pull is to equip a huge number of their tricks with low-numeric-ratio differentials, essentially turning them into commuter vehicles. I know Toyota only has one ratio for the Tundra (for the 5.7l at least) and it's a good towing ratio, and I have the impression that's the same for the Titan but I've no idea if they have a "fuel economy" diff for the older truck-based Pathfinder and an optional high-ratio diff that you need to actually tow heavy. That's something to research before you buy.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:24 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1998 25' Safari
Mascouche , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Generally Airstream's claimed weights were very optimistic. In the 70s, air conditioners were optional and not included in the rated weight, and I'm not sure if the quoted numbers generally included propane, but I believe they assumed empty water and holding tanks.

EDIT: I think that 800-900 lb of stuff in a Tradewind-sized trailer is a reasonable estimate of what you'd be taking with you, by the way. I'm just saying you may need to find the actual empty weight of the trailer before using that to size your tow vehicle.

I'm not familiar with Pathfinder specs, but one dirty trick that the American full-sized pickup manufacturers pull is to equip a huge number of their tricks with low-numeric-ratio differentials, essentially turning them into commuter vehicles. I know Toyota only has one ratio for the Tundra (for the 5.7l at least) and it's a good towing ratio, and I have the impression that's the same for the Titan but I've no idea if they have a "fuel economy" diff for the older truck-based Pathfinder and an optional high-ratio diff that you need to actually tow heavy. That's something to research before you buy.
Thanks!

I dont have a vehicule yet able to pull my futur trailer. I have the whole winter to dig that and also work on the stream to have it ready for the next summer... think there is a scale on the road that I will use to bring back the trailer... Stoping by will be interesting for me and futur owner.

The V8 Path is not a economic puller, even unloaded, but buy used there is some "economy" to do.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:38 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
the commercial mentions V6 and CVT trans. So their V6 will pull 5000lbs?

""you’ve got seven on board, and a big, beautiful trailer on the hitch. This is when you find out what your SUV is really made of. Pathfinder takes it on with 260 hp of 3.5-L V6 muscle, and with the highest towing rating in it’s class, you can bring along 5,000 lbs of fun.[*]''
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:44 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD View Post
the commercial mentions V6 and CVT trans. So their V6 will pull 5000lbs?

""you’ve got seven on board, and a big, beautiful trailer on the hitch. This is when you find out what your SUV is really made of. Pathfinder takes it on with 260 hp of 3.5-L V6 muscle, and with the highest towing rating in it’s class, you can bring along 5,000 lbs of fun.[*]''
Easily. I've got a OBDII reader installed in my car, another V6 developing 260hp. One of the values measured is hp at the wheel. The highest output I have ever measured was 140hp when accelerating from a standing stop up a reasonably steep hill.

Acceleration on a level surface takes around 90hp at reasonable speed and towing on the highway frequently doesn't ask for more than 40hp. My trailer weighs, fully loaded, around 7000lbs.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:55 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Good first hand info thanks

AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote