Old 04-01-2011, 05:24 AM   #1
Rivet Master
1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Larry Huttle back?

Found this last night. Interesting....

Thor Industries Inc. yesterday (March 30) announced the re-appointment of Larry Huttle to the new position of president of motorhome division for the Thor Airstream division. In addition to the continued marketing and development current products, Huttle agreed to accept the position to reintroduce the classic line of RV’s of the traditional historic line.

As previously negotiated, automaker BMW will play a role in the new design.

Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 06:39 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member
1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
I smell a April Fools....

damonbeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:22 AM   #3
Site Team
1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Maybe he's going to re-introduce the Lirpa-1 model?
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:36 AM   #4
Rivet Master
1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Right as gas prices are going up? I don't think so... unless they go diesel.
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:24 AM   #5
. , .
The new design looks fantastic!
mistral blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:01 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member
2007 20' Safari SE
Nashville , Tennessee
I could not find the reference.

Here is a memo that I found on the web regarding an Airstream Motorcoach revival. I could find no mention at the rvbusiness website on this subject. Nor could I find a news release on the web. At the plant on March 29, the tour guide said that there were no current plans for a class A motorhome, although acreage had been purchased for that purpose in Jackson Center. Here is the text of the memo fro Larry Huttle to Cindy Reed dated Jan 27, 2011.

Best regards,
Bill Martin

To: Cindy Reed
Date: January 27, 2011
Re: Class “A” Motorhome Discussion / WBCCI Membership Acceptance
Airstream discontinued Class “A” motorhome production in 2006.
In 2007, recognizing the fact that many WBCCI members are Class “A” motorhome owners and will seek new Class “A” motorhomes in the future, we served up to the WBCCI IBT a viable option. Thor companies (Damon / Four Winds), now merged together as one Company named Thor Motor Coach Division, offered the WBCCI a wide range of Class “A” models. A vote to accept Class “A” Thor coaches by WBCCI members failed in June, 2007 by a 2 to 1 vote.
No formal WBCCI action has taken place in the past 3 years to move toward WBCCI acceptance of Thor Motor Coach products, other than passionate discussions by both advocates and those opposed to any such action.
Airstream has no foreseeable plan to enter the Class “A” or Class “C” segments of the RV business in the next several years. We do offer, however, Class “B” Interstate (Mercedes powered) and Avenue (Chevrolet powered) as Airstream’s only motorized product offering and both are compliant for WBCCI membership and reach the fastest growing motorized segment of the RV business.
Fast forward ... in speaking with the officers of the Thor Motor Coach Division recently, their sentiment is that interest in building a “WBCCI Edition” motor coach exists only if significant interest by WBCCI members is demonstrated and several buyers come forth with purchases without a long campaign for support. Also, several challenges lie ahead for Thor Motor Coach to offer a WBCCI Edition coach to WBCCI members to be successful, in addition to immediate sales purchases:
● Airstream approval ● Thor Motor Coaches sells via its own distribution system and not via Airstream dealers ● Warranty coverage would be provided through Thor Motor Coach and not via Airstream dealers ● Airstream dealers would have to approve this because it affects its contractual agreement with
Airstream and state DMV laws prevail with these types of matters
Cindy, I believe the Thor Motor Coach officials have lost interest in pursuing a workable arrangement with the WBCCI as a result of their experience in 2007 with a low WBCCI approval by the general membership of its involvement.
Without significant WBCCI support and strong interest in seeking an immediate workable agreement, I feel strongly the Thor Motor Coach Division officials will not seek to move forward.
Cindy, I hope these comments add some clarity? Sincerely,
Larry Huttle Chairman LJH/lm
bmartinpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:44 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member
2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
Originally Posted by mistral blue View Post
The new design looks fantastic!
Hmmmmm. BTW, what's Lirpa-1 ?
Bob & Nancy
2005 ASLYG 30 SO