Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Airstream "In the News"
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-08-2009, 08:18 PM   #1
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to airedale Send a message via MSN to airedale Send a message via Yahoo to airedale
HGTV's RV 2009

Hello everyone, I thought I would tell everyone that HGTV had its annual RV show tonight, and Sean and Kristy Michael from the blog www.thelonglonghoneymoon.com were guests on the show. They did a great job, and they showed many pictures with their Airstream on the program! Great job Sean and Kristy!
Operation "SAVE RUDY" Strike Team (Charter Member)

Check Out My New Airstream Blog
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 04:55 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Waters , Michigan
Was it my imagination,or are They buying a 5th wheel to sport around in now ?
PINKBIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:54 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
I was kinda excited to see an airstream in the show, until it became apparant that it was the trailer being replaced!

Neat show. Lots of really nice interiors. The shasta was cool! So was the "boom bowl"!

Big downers for me was the class b+ products. I've yet to find a good reason to pay big bucks for one of these. Must be a secret......
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:03 AM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We watched, and were also pleased to see the Airstream at the beginning. We were a little disappointed the the Pan America didn't make the cut for a mention amongst the toy haulers. I don't know that I would consider replacing Lucy with a 5th wheel circus wagon.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:17 AM   #5
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to airedale Send a message via MSN to airedale Send a message via Yahoo to airedale
Well for the show Sean and Kristy were acting like buyers. They didn't buy and state on their newest video on their website that they are keeping their Airstream and that they love it. Their were no Airstreams at the show, and they had to tour something!

Old 03-09-2009, 07:25 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Dolores , Colorado
It's hard to imagine that A/S can't compete with some of the units that were on display last nitght. There were several Thor products there (Damon, etc.) but as a TT Airstream ranks above all of those we saw. Sean did say they are looking to upgrade to a 30' unit by and by they will stay with A/S. Although some of the boxy M/H were nice to look at I can't imagine pushing one down the road. The ones I am impressed with are the Tiffin products (Phaeton, Allegro) and of course there were none of them shown.

Bob and Lou
4CU/CAC
WBCCI # 10105
AIR # 28748
dogpound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:34 AM   #7
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by airedale View Post
Well for the show Sean and Kristy were acting like buyers. They didn't buy and state on their newest video on their website that they are keeping their Airstream and that they love it. Their were no Airstreams at the show, and they had to tour something!
I found that segment interesting when they said they wanted more room on the show.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:28 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
The spousal unit and I watched the show, excited to see Sean and Kristy. I had read their blog going in, and knew that they were sorta acting, and that there were no Airstreams at the show.

I don't get that - there are something like 1300 units at the show, and no Airstream? Colonial Airstream isn't that far away from Hershey. We thought the same thing when we went to a local show here in Springfield (MA) - no Airstream. Do the powers-that-be think they don't need to display AS?

But nevermind. The bigger question is this: why do people need fake fireplaces and three (count them, three) flat-screen TVs when they go camping? We don't even have a flat-screen TV at home, and it would seem that if you're camping, maybe you could have a real fire outside.

What's interesting is that even though the show was shot a few months ago, it seems like a world away, back when you could easily get credit for a $250k Class A and hauling around heavy granite countertops seemed like an OK idea.

It's also curious how they made Class B mohos look big inside. I'm fond of the idea, but everytime we tour one, the overhead cabinets inside the narrow Sprinter body make things feel tight.
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:35 AM   #9
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
IMHO
The show was very interesting, seeing whats available, if not attainable, was an eye opener.

No Airstreams, not suprising.

HGTV gotta get real....what's with all the real estate flipping shows in to-days environment.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:40 AM   #10

Sarasota , Florida
Airstream was not at Hershey due to PA state law not allowing NJ daler to show in PA
Pateie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:42 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
Yea for Sean and Kristy...I thought they did a great job promoting the RV lifestyle...kudos!!!

G

www.airstreamofarkansas.com

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

Keeping the Airstream Dream Alive!

AIR #8844
Airhog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:15 AM   #12
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pateie View Post
Airstream was not at Hershey due to PA state law not allowing NJ daler to show in PA
Is that any out of state dealer or just a NJ vs PA thing?

Also, what if a manufacturer, not a dealer wanted to participate is that also part of the PA state law?
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 01:18 PM   #13
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie View Post
I found that segment interesting when they said they wanted more room on the show.

I thought it was funny, but after talking to Sean and Kristy lastnight, and watching there last video they said they were just trying to act the part, but I do believe if there was at 30ft Airstream they might have come home with a new Airstream.

Great Job again Sean and Kristy!

Besides, what would their truck named "Seemore" be without it towing a Airstream.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:50 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Bradenton and Saluda , Florida & North Carolina
Interesting show, but Monaco has filed Chapter 11, Country Coach (veranda) out of business, A/S Thor still ticking. Also, thought it strange to not see A/S, but dealers have to also pay for their sites, and A/S obviously doesn't comp them for all the work and effort to get there to sell.
ncbambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:12 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
Ossining , New York
Sean and Kristy did great and I'm sure the producer coached Sean to say "we really love our travel trailer, but" instead of letting him say "We really love our Airstream..." Sean and Kristy have a great blog and I'm sure they are Airstreamers for life (AFL)!
1956Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:31 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Classic
Birmingham , Alabama
Hi everyone, this is Sean...

First of all, thanks for the kind comments on this thread. We did our best on the HGTV show. We enjoy browsing RVs (just ask Gene Morris!), and Kristy has great insight with regard to different floor plans, etc. So we had a lot of fun doing the show.

With that said, I'll give you a little inside skinny...

The show was shot last September at the big Hershey Pennsylvania RV event that's touted as being the largest RV show in America. The TV producers wanted to film us browsing RVs. If we'd had an Airstream (say, a 30-foot Classic? ), we would've jumped all over it. Really, any Airstream would've been great. But we had no Airstreams to browse! So we had to make do with what was on hand.

Our reactions, impressions, and comments about the rigs were genuine and unrehearsed. Sometimes if it was an important segment (ie. the introduction & conclusion, we might do more than one take... which is just the way good TV shows are made). We had no writers (or hair and makeup assistance, for that matter!).

As for my final comment, 1956Safari caught it! I was really wanting to put out the message that "we love our Airstream" but I suspected that any mention of a specific brand might get edited out of the final cut. We did two takes of that "conclusion" segment, so in one I substituted the lingo "travel trailer" for Airstream...but you guys know what I meant. That was my code message to everyone here, ha ha ...

Despite the lack of Airstreams at the PA show, I was pleased to see that our Airstream was featured in some of the video footage HGTV displayed during our introduction segment.

Thanks again for your support. We're still developing our online video show, and who knows? Maybe someday we'll have a TV show of our own. I'd love to tote our Airstream around the globe for cable TV. It would be great for Airstream, and for RVing in general. And yes, it would be fun too!