Old 01-14-2012, 10:42 AM   #99
Chief Chili Cook
2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
No Press board or MDF in my trailer and to date, no-one has shown me proof otherwise.
No doubt Airstream experimented with OSB in one or more of the smaller trailers for weight and price reasons. They made a good attempt on the website to make them out as equals. And we all know websites can say things long after the company starts doing things differently.

What is disappointing for me on airforums is people keep parroting things they read, in some other thread, as fact, even though they don't know it to be fact. That's exactly how misinformation keeps getting propagated around and around. Pretty soon we have airstreams made from 1.5" MDF construction.

Red, a picture would be good, of the core, or the hole in the shelf itself. I'm curious if it's MDF also, and if it's actually vinyl or melamine.

The NSA -- The only part of the government that listens.
newroswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 01:00 PM   #100
Rivet Master
2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Originally Posted by redwoodguy View Post
However, I absolutely DO have one MDF piece, and that is the closet shelf. I think I saved the core from the bore bit, and would be happy to mail it out to anyone who would like to see and smell it.
MDF for a closet shelf is not unreasonable; the weight differential (considering the weight of the entire trailer) of a closet shelf out of MDF and one out of thinner plywood is minor. MDF, as long as it does not get water soaked, does have useful structural properties quite aside from its modest cost.

Just to help the discussion along, there is a material that looks identical to MDF, but is much lower density and, therefore, much lighter in weight. I have no idea if Airstream has ever used it.

Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 06:32 PM   #101
4 Rivet Member
2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
FWIW, When I toured the Airstream Factory, the guide,a 50 + year employee, confirmed to me that they have used OSB for floors as well as marine grade plywood in the past. I would have asked about mdf if I had thought about it.

Kosm1o is offline   Reply With Quote

future of airstream