Old 08-12-2004, 02:12 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Death of an Airstream Park

Noted in the latest edition of TL magazine that there is a long standing Airstream park in Florida that is closing. I don't have the mag with me or I could give more particulars... Evidently it was a long-term property lease from the local municipality, and they were unable/not allowed to renew. Home to over 600 Airstreams, IIRC....

Anybody that might happen to have a copy might be able to fill in - won't be back to mine until this evening...

Seems sad to me.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 02:09 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Update~

Quote:
Originally Posted by coriolis1
Noted in the latest edition of TL magazine that there is a long standing Airstream park in Florida that is closing. I don't have the mag with me or I could give more particulars... Evidently it was a long-term property lease from the local municipality, and they were unable/not allowed to renew. Home to over 600 Airstreams, IIRC....
Anybody that might happen to have a copy might be able to fill in - won't be back to mine until this evening...
Seems sad to me.
Coriolis,
The correct info:
The park has been closed down..."is”. A sad but, done deed. My local source tells me not a single Airstream is left on site (as of three weeks ago).
The final truth has finally emerged in the matter, in that. The park was forced closed to make room for an expansion of an expected commercial park next to the airport, a "deal" which has since fallen flat on it's face due to changes in the economy and, not expect to be revived.
One other tibit of news concerning the previous tenants at this site is:
Quite a few of them have relocated to a closed gated park in Dade City, FL.
It's say alot about "ownership" of the land under your feet~
ciao
53FC

NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 07:19 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Evansville , Indiana
Port O'Call in Melbourne, FL did indeed close in late April 2004. We left on the last day it was "officially" open. A few stayed on for a few days to take care of the necessary duties in closing the park. The recreation hall and the office are being used on a temporary basis by the local senior citizan's organization. The former residents of Port O'Call have scattered to many locations. Some went to Dade City, some to the other Airstream park in Melbourne (Land Yacht Harbour), some went next door to a trailer park (Trailer Haven). Quite a few sold their beloved trailers and went home.

The land was under a long term lease that expired from the local airport authority. Our park was across one street from the airport and across another street from a Hilton hotel. We were about a block from most any shopping or eating that one could want.

Bottom line, the city of Melbourne didn't want us anymore.

Sam
WBCCI 12557
Old 08-27-2004, 07:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
North Central , USA
That's really a shame . Thankfully the 2 lots we just purchased (one with compleated living quarters & the other 'slab' for A/S-RV guests) at the North Texas Airstream Community (NTAC) are owned by us . NTAC is a non-profit corp. & owns all the land free & clear. Members also must purchase their lots &/or improvements without any encumburances.
Old 09-02-2004, 10:23 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Thumbs up nice place!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed & Debbie
That's really a shame . Thankfully the 2 lots we just purchased (one with compleated living quarters & the other 'slab' for A/S-RV guests) at the North Texas Airstream Community (NTAC) are owned by us , NTAC, a non-profit corp.
I've seen a few photos of that community in N. Texas - talk about nice!

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 11:20 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
North Central , USA
Quote:
I've seen a few photos of that community in N. Texas - talk about nice!
We are relatively new there & are still getting ready to move in full time, need to sell our home in North Dallas (Coppell). Part of the gated community is an RV park for about 50 units. It is open to all brands for rallies etc. but any Airstream/WBCCI member can stay overnight or for an extended time at reduced rates. Hillsboro is at the southern I-35 'split' between Waco & Dallas/Ft. Worth.
Old 09-04-2004, 09:23 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
North Central , USA
North Texas Airstream Community: NTAC

Another plus we like is that many members (including Debbie & I) own "guest" lots with full RV hook-ups next to or near their Villas that are used at the sole discretion of the owner...within the R & R's of NTAC!
Old 09-05-2004, 12:08 AM   #8
qqq
4 Rivet Member

Ed,

I hope you won't get in trouble...the name "Debbie" was in your last post!

Ron
Old 09-05-2004, 08:02 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
It sure would've been wonderful if there'd been an attempt to preserve the final days of this park on film, (as well as any other Airstream parks that have been closed in the past - seems I've read this kind of thread before?)

Perhaps there were pictures taken, but they haven't surfaced here - and I know the community would love to look at them. These parks are true pieces of history from what I can gather. Like an old diner on Route 66, it's always nice if someone pauses to record the event of their passing in a way we can look back on, whether video, photos, or even a souvenir of a sign or placemat...
Old 09-08-2004, 12:34 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
North Central , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by qqq
Ed,

I hope you won't get in trouble...the name "Debbie" was in your last post!

Ron
Ron,
As long as I keep my opinions & posts clearly separate, ie: (parenthetical enclosure), I should be safe .
Old 09-08-2004, 12:56 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
North Central , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bredlo
It sure would've been wonderful if there'd been an attempt to preserve the final days of this park on film, (as well as any other Airstream parks that have been closed in the past - seems I've read this kind of thread before?)
It is my belief that the renewed growth, in production & sales of modern Airstreams, will reverse this trend. This should rejuvenate the operational yet stagnent A/S parks still out there. Perhaps to the point that new 'Airstream-exclusive' communities will begin to emerge.
Old 10-12-2004, 08:53 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
Dallas , Tech-Sus
Quote:
This is so sad. I had heard about it but the past 3 or 4 years, I have been too busy doing other things...mainly living. I have lost touch in some ways. Around four years ago, I flew into Melbourne at night, was driven to the hotel, got up the next morning, taught an all day workshop (at the local Kawaii Organ dealer), went to dinner, back to the hotel, to bed and FINALLY...the next morning I took a cab to the Airport to leave town.

It was only THEN, in the daylight that I saw "Port O'Call" as we were driving up to the Airport. I did not see it in the dark. I wanted to stop and visit with the folks and take some photos. But I couldn't because of my flight. Since then, I have not had the chance to get back to Melbourne.

I was just surfing and found some articles about the closing on the internet.

I would love to see more photos if anyone knows where they exist.

Don in Dallas
'86 Argosy

www.donspiano.com <--My online Piano Radio Station

Airstream FM

Easy Listening For the Internet Generation
CallDon is offline   Reply With Quote