Old 02-23-2012, 11:40 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2007 16' Bambi
West Hollywood , California
Christopher Deam in today's New York Times

There's a nice Q & A with Christopher Deam in today's NYTimes. Here's a link:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/23/ga...o-date-qa.html

I always like to see Airstreams in the news!

Old 02-23-2012, 12:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
I'm surprised that Airstream brought the Sterling concept all the way out to Modernism Week.

The more I see it, the more l like it...

Tom

Old 02-23-2012, 12:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
So open and bright, mine is like a cave inside. Sort of depressing and soothing at the same time.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:55 PM   #4
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
So open and bright, mine is like a cave inside. Sort of depressing and soothing at the same time.
depressingly soothed.......interesting concept.

keep the shiny side out..

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
I like it, seems like a logical evolution from the International CCD interior.

I find some of his comments amusing, particularly the ones dismissing wooden cabinetry as seemingly out of place in an Airstream, but that doesn't change how much I like the design.
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:07 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Sonoma/Napa Wine Country , Northern California
I kinda dig the new design as far as a modern chic CCD is concerned.

I don't care for Mr.Deam's admitted lack of time spent in an AS or lack of affinity or desire to use one with his family
Old 02-23-2012, 04:22 PM   #7
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspirations View Post
I kinda dig the new design as far as a modern chic CCD is concerned.

I don't care for Mr.Deam's admitted lack of time spent in an AS or lack of affinity or desire to use one with his family

IMHO...if he did spend more time there might be less shine.

As you can tell I/we are not big fans of inside shiny.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:23 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
1977 23' Safari
1986 34' Limited
Idaho Falls , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspirations View Post
Yeah, me too. I was really surprised he would make those negative comments when of course Airstream, his employer, is "listening."

His designs, while clean and cool (in both senses)-looking, also seem the antithesis of camping: you are going to have lots of dirty fingerprints on all that shiny alum, regardless of where the handles are; all that white upholstery is going to be filthy in no time. However, if all Deam envisions doing with an Airstream is parking it out back by the pool to use as a cabana, then maybe it's OK.

Interesting article and photo; thanks for posting it.

Vivian
Too many vintage A/Ss...
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:50 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
Yeah, me too. I was really surprised he would make those negative comments when of course Airstream, his employer, is "listening."
He's made Airstream a heck of a lot of money, so it's probably OK. Some of it is probably because his trailer got stolen. Sure, it would be great if he camped, but I can't deny that I like his designs. Not that there isn't anything I would change (the CCDs with Wenge cabinetry are way dark, and the Serenity cabinetry is a bit odd.)

All that said, when I look at some of the trailers Timeless is doing (and advertising in Airstream Life), they're doing a darn fine job combining classic wood and aluminum elements with bright colors. Maybe Deam started the way, but others can and do pick up the path.

Colorwise, I wonder if white (and wipe-able) Ultraleather will probably stay cleaner than a darker cloth - and most of his designs have 3 cushion color choices anyway.

Tom
Old 02-23-2012, 05:12 PM   #10
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
The white is awful....otherwise looks a lot like my CDD designed 2010 international.

I love the aluminum interior. Mine feels alive inside.

Thanks for posting.

Shane

"Stay Thirsty My Friends"

Tow Vehicle" 2011 Superduty Diesel!!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:26 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Cross
IMHO...if he did spend more time there might be less shine.

As you can tell I/we are not big fans of inside shiny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
His designs, while clean and cool (in both senses)-looking, also seem the antithesis of camping: you are going to have lots of dirty fingerprints on all that shiny alum, regardless of where the handles are; all that white upholstery is going to be filthy in no time. However, if all Deam envisions doing with an Airstream is parking it out back by the pool to use as a cabana, then maybe it's OK.

Vivian
I have plenty of exposed aluminum in my trailer and camp all the time (including regular boondocking in one of the "dirtiest" locations possible, directly on the beach), with a 2yo and a 4yo no less. Shiny interiors don't preclude "real" camping.

But of course, I do NOT have any white upholstery in the trailer.

Up above Tom mentioned Timeless which does nice work, and then of course there's my absolute favorite trailer designer, David Winick, who does a fabulous job of marrying shiny aluminum (and copper) to rich, dark woods. You can design modern or contemporary without relying solely on metal and plastic laminates, although like I said, I really like Deam's designs as well. I believe there's a place for all kinds of different styles in the Airstream World.

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:34 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
Vacationland , Maine
This is part of what Deam said in this latest NYT article:

What I found was, you had this great streamlined aerodynamic modern exterior, and then you opened the door and it was like grandma’s kitchen. There was a disconnect between the exterior and the interior. You approached the trailer and there was the magic promise of the future, and you walk in and it was like a log cabin on wheels. What we decided was, we had to do some kind of archaeology, stripping it down and getting rid of all the gewgaws and clunky interior, and taking it back to something really essential. I simplified it and emphasized the horizontal lines and put in a lot of fluid, curved laminates. We took that trailer to the International Contemporary Furniture Fair in New York, and we got the attention of an Airstream executive.
End quote.

I have read many other articles about C.C. Deam's designs and he more or less always repeats this quote. Which is unfortunate.

Unfortunate because there are many different styles of interiors to be found in Airstreams over the past sixty years snd he seems to have based his opinion on the one he briefly stuck his head into. While it is true that there are clunky colonial cabinetry in some Airstreams (what were they thinking?) there are also minimalist mid century styles that have clean lines and still have a modern feel dating from the early sixties.

My guess is that he uses this comment as a way to set his applications apart as a new and modern departure from the past.... which is not necessary.

I have always liked his work and the Airstream designs have improved over time. But he should do some more research and give some credit to earier influences. His work is excellent and there is no need to discredit all of Airstreams earier models in the process.

Besides, at one time they actually were fairly utilitarian vehicles that were actually used for travelling and camping. DIG!

Gary
wbcci #3363
VAC - Region 1 vintage Club rep
New England unit
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:54 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' International
2015 25' FB International
Milwaukie , Oregon
"Besides, at one time they actually were fairly utilitarian vehicles that were actually used for travelling and camping."

It's pretty...but white??? Our Airstream has light grey seating and I'm constantly worrying about keeping it clean. A little dirt on our pants after a day hiking...and it shows! We take off our shoes and really try keep our AS neat, but dirt and camping, especially in the winter, go hand in hand! Ours also came with a bright white bed spread and it was the first thing I changed

We have exposed aluminum inside, and it cleans up remarkably easily. In fact, the only fingerprints I ever see are on the dark wood.

It will be interesting to see if these sell with all the white!

The Small Small Trailer
valmog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:11 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
LA LA Land... , California
When we set the lights just right, the inside of our CCD looks like a nightclub! Of course, it helps if you've had a martini!