Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Airstream "In the News"
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-07-2018, 05:55 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Beautiful AS myth and painful reality of life on the road... ??

Sadly, I can think of a whole bunch of places I’d rather be than anywhere near Los Angeles....assuming that’s the LA you are referring to...

Disneyland, maybe. But it’s in Anaheim...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 06:57 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Broadway , North Carolina
Had author Ellie Robins led the article with her bottom line, we could have seen her for what she is and skipped reading the rest of the Marxist garbage.
Quote:
The great trick of democracy hijacked by consumerist capitalism is to give the illusion of choice
No Ellie, the great trick of media propgandists who've hijacked honest journalism, is to present an illusion of truth.

Urbanization is the nirvana for globalists intent on ruling us. Elitist pseudo-intellectuals who inhabit caves like the LA Times push the agenda, which includes get us out of our cars, into public transit, and out of our homes into high density housing.

What better to attack than Airstream, the great icon of the American dream and, the freedom of open road.

Of important note.....America became great as a republic (not a democracy) based upon the availability of capital to all citizens (capitalism).

Quote:
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Benjamin Franklin
(but... wolves like Robins know this well)
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 07:36 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Naperville , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
You, and those likeminded, aren’t the intended audience. It’s a coloring book line to delineate the deplorables of flyover country from those woke. Enlightened. A couched warning.

Agree, 100%!
1995 & 2004 Gary Fisher Hoo-Koo-e-Koo emergency vehicles
pt.reyesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 07:52 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward View Post
Had author Ellie Robins led the article with her bottom line, we could have seen her for what she is and skipped reading the rest of the Marxist garbage.

No Ellie, the great trick of media propgandists who've hijacked honest journalism, is to present an illusion of truth.

Urbanization is the nirvana for globalists intent on ruling us. Elitist pseudo-intellectuals who inhabit caves like the LA Times push the agenda, which includes get us out of our cars, into public transit, and out of our homes into high density housing.

What better to attack than Airstream, the great icon of the American dream and, the freedom of open road.

Of important note.....America became great as a republic (not a democracy) based upon the availability of capital to all citizens (capitalism).

(but... wolves like Robins know this well)
Couldn’t agree more!
Philip Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 08:49 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Like I said in a paper written back in high school, “Marxism is a bunch of Commie-rot”.

The class was called “Communism vs Americanism”. That was in the schools back in the 1960’s. Still very true today.

There are lots of Marxists out there, they seem incapable of realizing that their philosophy is basically full of the bucolic output of a male bovine**!

**loosely borrowed from someone else, in a different context, making a very august posting on these forums. I suspect it’s really appropriate here as well.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:10 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Airstream motto:

You gotta pay to play!

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 09:24 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Corona , California

Sometimes I think it’s more like “We’re not happy until you’re not happy”, based on what I read on the forums.

Absolutely glad ours has a set of manual awnings, no Alde System, and mostly bog-standard hardware without any software madness complicating things(Firefly). Our only complication is solar and ham radio gear (self-induced).

Me, not so much. Most of our issues have been either minor, related to 14” GYMs, or self-induced ‘beauty marks’. But then again, ours is a 2007, and the first owner most likely swatted all the post-build bugs in their one and only outing before my son bought it.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:08 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
In the end things make us happy for the short term... But in a fire you save the children and the pets... the stuff can all be replaced.

Deep poverty CAN skew your view, but for most of us once you've gotten used to having enough.... mere collecting of of more and more loses its charm.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:17 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Corona , California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
In the end things make us happy for the short term... But in a fire you save the children and the pets... the stuff can all be replaced.

Absolute truth in this statement. Have lived in tornado alley (Northern Alabama). FEMA-compliant storm shelter in deepest part of basement designed to preserve lives of the occupants and withstand entire house blowing away/down. Only ‘stuff’ stored in there was communications gear, food and water for doggies and people, plus heavy tools for self rescue. The rest of the wonderful stuff in the house gets to fend for itself.

We spent many severe weather outbreaks eating a meal in the shelter area.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:36 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
FaN's definition of the "Airstream Dream":
A process that you are so happily immersed in that all the other crap in your life seems to disappear.

Then you have to turn around and go home again.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:00 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Heh, even just working on it in preparation for using my AS is a joy.
Old 01-09-2018, 12:52 AM   #32
1 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
fresno , California
I have to agree. Tinkering with our tin tortuga is not a chore but a hobby !
imbighoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 12:38 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
One might clarify the above to be a full time hobby.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 11:45 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Independence , Missouri
Yes Airstreams cost money, but so does everything else. It's your choice to live the way you want to. Your going to have costs if you live in a home or your RV full time. For me I have not retired yet can't for 20 or more years from now but I would like to have a retirement with my Airstream and also take summers off and go visit places you can see unless your in an RV. I like having my home away from home that comes with me to share the adventures. ( note: true Airstream owners name there Airstreams like a member of there family so they can share there trips with them). When I go out on trips with Agnes, my trailer, I feel my grandma's with me when travel. My trailers named after my grandma who loved to travel in there RV. But getting back to the costing money yes it does but I would gladly pay it to take my home away from home then to use hotels. It's the fun adventures you get and the stories you can tell to someone about you taking your home with you that you get. And also the people you meet with the same thing you have along the way that's why I do it.
Rachel
WBCCI 9380
VAC 2nd VP
1962 Tradewind "Agnes"

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forum
Twinke58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 04:55 AM   #35
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
Good words Rach.

We are savoring every moment spent outdoors and planning for the next adventure. Buying the AS changed everything for us. Regret nothing.
Too tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 01:35 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Man View Post
See attached piece from the LA Times - interesting (fair?) contrast of takes on Glamping vs. workamping in Nomadland:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.latim...story,amp.html

Me: I’ve no doubt been duped, just another “constantly moving happiness machine” who’s fallen for “insidious messaging” - a small part of the “...great trick of democracy hijacked by consumerist capitalism...”. Heck, I just thought I liked to use my limited free time to go camping to neat places in a fun and iconic RV.

Regards - Ron

(Oops, perhaps too controversial for a Forum that loves controversial topics like tires, hitches, and TVs - before I get railed-on by someone for perceived insensitivity to RV nomads, I would note that I do exercise my freedoms by giving back to those in need in the community.)

Too many big words. Not very practicable. LA Times , must be from California. I used to live in Lower Alabama. They'd have made more sense.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 12:43 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Wow, deep stuff. Pretty sure what I just read was a socio-economic political rant by someone with a deep unsatisfied lust for Airstreams. Ms. Robbins, I'm sorry you can't afford an Airstream. Perhaps you should have spent the money your parents gave you to go to college on one. Then you could live in the Airstream, work at Taco Bell and make more than you do with your journalism degree.

We bought our Airstream because at least once a year for the past 18 years I would see one and say to my wife, "we should get an Airstream". She would respond, "that sounds great, why don't you look into it?" Then I would say "but they cost a lot, and what if we don't use it enough, and we could just go to hotels and it would be cheaper,..."

Then at the end of the summer I would look back on all the places we did not go and all the hotels we did not stay in. Now, we make plans or just head out on a whim. Sounds like freedom to me. And call me materialistic if it makes you feel superior, but I love owning our Airstream.
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 03:19 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
2016 27' International
Hillsboro , Texas
I thought “Living the Airstream Life” was a big advertisement for restorers. Not impressed. Nomadland was fascinating and horrifying. Here are people approaching the end of their physical vigor, living lives that would have exhausted many of us in our 40s. Or younger. How will they survive after the first fall or two? They’re trying to live on $500 a month from Social Security. Their children, even if they’re willing to help out, are up against it themselves.
I am sad and worried for them.
djs66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 03:51 PM   #39
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Just read that LA Times article again....

Typical fluff and BS the Times puts out, where the author seems to be secretly envious of the freedom that having an Aluminium-wrapped way to enjoy the open road and the beauty of the U.S. that is out there. Yes, I may be an old Phart, but I'm still breathing and moving about, and I enjoy travel and seeing things still.

As a SoCal resident, I am all-to-familiar with the 'joys of the big city of Los Angeles'...crowded, polluted, hectic, ugly for the most part, and loaded with far too many people, some of which write pointless puff pieces for an obsolete newspaper, while eating their $11.45 Avocado toast and a $5 cup of overpriced coffee from whoever.

I'm sorry, these folks that write stull like this need to experience something other than the hubbub of an overcrowded metropolis, and see what the rest of the world really looks like. Maybe ditch the digital interactions, and get out there and smell an unsullied sea breeze, or see the first crack of dawn from a campsite high in the Sierras, where you can't even hear the traffic noise or fleets of news choppers looking for the day's police pursuit. Just "shut up, and really listen..."

I am willing to bet you that these folks have never stood in the loam at the center of a massive redwood grove, feeling the spiritual quality of the light, the majesty of the largest living things on earth, the sound of the occasional drop of water falling from the mist high in the trees, and the gleam of sunlight making its way in thin beams through the massive canopy.

Then consider a spot in the high desert, just a few hours away from Los Angeles, where the entire universe, the Milky Way, and all the stars from the dawn of creation shine down on you, filling your gaze horizon to horizon, wheeling in their majestic dance since the dawn of time, are laid out in front of your eyes. The sky is so crowded that it invokes the line from '2001, a Space Odyssey', "My God, its FULL of stars..."

Then, and only then, will you truly appreciate just a tiny, infinitesimal bit of the beauty of the world we live in, and see just how insignificant a single human being is, out alone, on the face of a relatively minor planet, third rock from it's primary star. Think too deep upon this, and you will find yourself spreadeagled on your back, instinctively clutching the ground you repose on, as the planet rocks and rotates at dizzying speed and rushes through the void at even more frightening speed...try not to think about this too much.

Then realize just how truly shallow this LA Times article is, and walk away, laughing...
Old 05-17-2018, 07:07 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Hillbilly Hollywood (Nashville) , Tennessee
You gotta live somewhere!

Anymore it's gettin hard to find a FREE decent size cardboard box!

What's a person to do????

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote