Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Airstream "In the News"
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 12:37 PM   #61
Hondo was a great cat

2005 28' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
Apologies up front

I am so sorry for saying this:

That is the coolest thing I have ever seen. Looks like art to me, made me laugh when I saw it. This might help more people get into Airstreaming and I cant find any flaw in that. I have to see this in person.

I cant believe the buried a row of Airstreams. I hope you can all forgive Bates. Just curious, if a private person did this, would it be different?

John

Aunt Gladys, 28FT, Intl'
"Man, it's hot here, is the heat on?"
Old 01-06-2008, 12:45 PM   #62

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Hey, I agree completely that they are privately owned and they can do whatever they want with them. I also agree that they were probably trashed and had little to no value. But seeing them buried and sticking up in the air like that - that just makes me sad. I wouldn't drive out of my way to see it. Soon they'll be falling apart and covered in graffiti just like the old caddilacs, and will basically look like crap. I don't like seeing old Airstreams put in a position to end up looking like trailer trash junk. But that's just my opinion, and what's done is done.

Maybe they'll plant some flamingos around them and put up some clothes lines with BVDs hanging off them and make a whole diorama out of it - like an 'after hurricane' scene where somehow these behemoths got plunged into the ground all in a row

Old 01-06-2008, 12:52 PM   #63
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander
real nice.... my post was removed. How was what I said offensive? What I am now thinking is offensive, but I am keeping it to myself. If you look at the top of the banner you will see Bates RV. My post supported them and discouraged the abuse of going to them and buying it on the internet from someone else. I feel someone has over stepped their authority here, and I am deeply offended. I will continue to keep my true thoughts to myself. However IF we were having this discussion around a campfire I would look who ever censored me right in the eye and tell you exactly how I feel.
I don't understand this either, we had two post removed and no PM or E-Mail explaining why. I don't think that our post is that much different than what was said in post #16. I didn't say anything that isn't true. I would like an answer from a moderator.
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Old 01-06-2008, 12:59 PM   #64
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
If anything should be removed it is this whole thread. What Frank Bates did is a disgrace to Airstream and I thought this forum was to preserve and restore Airstreams.
WBCCI 10103
Old 01-06-2008, 01:16 PM   #65
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The mod that removed several posts had to "delete and run". I put the thread back out so everybody didn't wonder what happened to it.
For everyone that had their posts removed and no explanation, the deletions were to try to drag the thread back onto its topic minus the Bates bashing. Unfortunately the results were not as successful as we had hoped. We really do try not to delete whole threads unless it is a last resort. This thread may be closed if it repeatedly goes South, but won't be deleted. You will still be able to view it, just not post to it.
Sometimes we get overcome by the events of the moment, and don't stop to think what this thread will look like to someone doing a search 5 years from now.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:33 PM   #66
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Okay, before it closes this what I want to say. Way to go Bates!!! Your line of airstreams has been more successful than you would have ever dreamed. I mean that from the bottom of my heart. This is however not art. An artist is a person that transforms materials with keen insight and design skills. He elevates those materials to a level never before seen. This has been done many times with countless objects. It is nothing new. This was intended to draw attention and it has worked very well. If some do not like Bates RV, go somewhere else, don't run the man down. If you think he is a bad salesman go look him in the eye and tell him so.

overlander63, thank you for keeping a cool head and being a moderator. I hope your fellow moderator will consult in the future. And I still will be waiting for their apology.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:39 PM   #67
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
No different..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnerges

I cant believe the buried a row of Airstreams. I hope you can all forgive Bates. Just curious, if a private person did this, would it be different?

John
Would not be any different......but we then could say how we feel,

Kinda like free shriek
Old 01-06-2008, 01:45 PM   #68
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
Having started this thread I have to say that while the demise of 7 Airstreams is sad the thread was started so that we could have fun with it. It never occured to me that so many would start bashing Bates RV and I wish it would stop. An established Airstream dealership such as Bates is not an enemy of Airstreaming, but is instead a promoter.

This doesn't mean that I want to stop any debate, but we should follow the first rule of debate - it's okay to attack ideas, but it is not okay to attack personalities.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:02 PM   #69
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
All my taste being in my mouth...

One of my relatives - a bona fide artist who teaches in Rome - pointed out to me that art should evoke emotions from the observer. Seems like Bates has achieved that particular artistic goal!

In my family, if you are teased and made fun of, you are a member of the family. Making fun of Airstreams is a sign of real love?

Charter Member Four Corners Unit

WBCCI #2417
Old 01-06-2008, 03:21 PM   #70
4 Rivet Member

1994 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Franklin NC , North Carolina
Airstream Ranch

Hey Airstreamers, don't get to upset!!
The picture in the St. Petersburg Times was taken from the back side (away from the Interstate 4 view). All the trailers were badly damaged, some even roll over damage. (also missing windows and wheels) But, like the Cadillac Ranch in Amarillo, it's awsome from the highway! I think it's a great thing for Airstreamers everwhere to have an Airstream Tourist attraction only 55 miles from Disney World. I'll enjoy it every time our Airstream rolls by it.
I can still post that picture if someone can tell me how.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:37 PM   #71
Hondo was a great cat

2005 28' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
Unique is latin for "_ _ _ _ _ _ _"

You have to admit it, this is a level never seen before

"He elevates those materials to a level never before seen. "

Aunt Gladys, 28FT, Intl'
"Man, it's hot here, is the heat on?"
Old 01-06-2008, 04:10 PM   #72
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
bury more airstreams- they're nothing but glorified sewage pipes, according to my big brother,lol

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
Old 01-06-2008, 04:33 PM   #73
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Moderators.... Are the posts that were removed going to be restored to this thread??
WBCCI 10103
Old 01-06-2008, 04:45 PM   #74
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycampers
Moderators.... Are the posts that were removed going to be restored to this thread??
No.

Posts were removed from this thread because they violated our forum rules. The mod team has done it's best to preserve the informational posts in this thread, but remove posts that attack or violate our "be nice" rules.

Moderators are volunteers, with opinions as well, but we work hard to maintain a civil forum where all are welcome.
Please review our site rules if you have questions about posting ediquette

Here is just a snippet:

Quote:
Be Courteous!
We aim to ensure that the forum is an enjoyable place that you want to visit time and time again. Our underlying philosophy is that the strength of the member relationships we build here is what sets us apart from the other boards - we are friendlier, more civil, more insightful, more mature and more fun.
  • Personal attacks on others will not be tolerated. Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully.
Thread closed.

AirForums Custom Search
Closed Thread