Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2008, 08:39 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Arizona State University, Tempe - Engineers do a class on 50 Airstreams to Africa

The Engineering Department offers a class in Global Awareness. On September 18th they had a very interesting class.

The premise of the project was to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the 1959 Wally Byam Caravan to Africa. The students were to spend three weeks in gathering the required preparation information for the trip.

History Detectives sent me an inquiry from ASU, telling of their project. Also they acknowledge the idea had been made after watching the episode of “Did this trailer go to Africa?”

I contacted the Engineering Department and offered to sit in.

I was invited and found this a wonderful tribute to Airstream and the 1959 Caravan. They asked me to score the five groups, I did. I also took pictures, and a few artifacts from 1959.

I have included their instruction sheet to the students.

Keep on movin’, grovin’ and scootin’.

Pee Wee
PeeWee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 09:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWee View Post
The Engineering Department offers a class in Global Awareness. On September 18th they had a very interesting class.

The premise of the project was to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the 1959 Wally Byam Caravan to Africa. The students were to spend three weeks in gathering the required preparation information for the trip.

History Detectives sent me an inquiry from ASU, telling of their project. Also they acknowledge the idea had been made after watching the episode of “Did this trailer go to Africa?”

I contacted the Engineering Department and offered to sit in.

I was invited and found this a wonderful tribute to Airstream and the 1959 Caravan. They asked me to score the five groups, I did. I also took pictures, and a few artifacts from 1959.

I have included their instruction sheet to the students.

Keep on movin’, grovin’ and scootin’.

Pee Wee
The Word Document will not fit the requirements, I will attach later. It is the core of this thread.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWee View Post
The Word Document will not fit the requirements, I will attach later. It is the core of this thread.
Here we go!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf asu a.pdf (542.7 KB, 89 views)
Old 09-21-2008, 09:49 PM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
It must have been a real treat for the students to meet you at ASU. How would you evaluate the work the students did with dealing with this trip?

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 10:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
You just can't take the class out of some people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
It must have been a real treat for the students to meet you at ASU. How would you evaluate the work the students did with dealing with this trip?
Richard,

I will do this later on. They took pictures which may go into an article. Also they will send me the five powerpoint projects.

I did a little research. I didn't know that the Trans-African Highway is almost completed. There are three sections missing. One of them is key to the trip.

Where we had bad roads in Ethiopia there are paved roads. What quality, I don't know. The Northern Kenya area is going to have pavement. It is being paved by the Chinese.

I will do an evaluation after I receive the "stuff" from the Engineering Department.

It was fun and the students enjoyed it.

Dale
Old 09-23-2008, 08:53 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Pee Wee, this is interesting stuff. I too would be interested in what the students came up with. One question.. is the instructor connected to the actual caravan? Will this info be presented to the planning committee of the actual caravan?

I'd be curious how close (or far) the students ideas are from reality. Any of them upping for the trip?

They should build an African ready AS for extra credit!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:12 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
A Class of globalization - ASU and African Caravan 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy View Post
Pee Wee, this is interesting stuff. I too would be interested in what the students came up with. One question.. is the instructor connected to the actual caravan? Will this info be presented to the planning committee of the actual caravan?

I'd be curious how close (or far) the students ideas are from reality. Any of them upping for the trip?

They should build an African ready AS for extra credit!
Marc
This is a strictly academic class, with no ties to anyting but education. The instructor is attempting to bring the understanding of globalization to his students. Their next project is the Gann train in Australia.

The last thing I read about the 2009 Caravan to Africa that the deposits were all being returned to those signed up on the trip. This doesn't mean there isn't an alternative group going. I have no idea.

The class had some good ideas. A few concepts were more than interesting.

I will do more on this at a later date.

Pee Wee

Pee Wee
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3419 a.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	379.0 KB
ID:	67928  
Old 09-23-2008, 10:27 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Dolores , Colorado
What a great project for you to be a part of... This project will be a fun Threads for us to read and learn from.

Do any the people in the class have Airstreams?

I hope you get more projects like this one.
Bob and Lou
4CU
bolou97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 11:04 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolou97 View Post
What a great project for you to be a part of... This project will be a fun Threads for us to read and learn from.

Do any the people in the class have Airstreams?

I hope you get more projects like this one.
Bob and Lou
4CU
I'm not aware of any of the students owning Airstreams. They are in their early 20's, the same age I was in Africa 1959. I was 20 when I left Cape Town, 21 when I reached Cairo.

The fifth team borrowed the 25 down and up as proposed by the 2009 group. They knew someone connected directly or indirectly with the proposed Caravan.

The students were a mix of Americans, and foreign students.

Pee Wee
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3441.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	398.0 KB
ID:	67937