Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Airstream "In the News"
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-12-2009, 05:30 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
springfield , Massachusetts
Are any Airstreamers Homeless?

i've been seeing on the news a good deal about folks who have as their only home, a RV. many of these folks were hardworking people who've recently become homeless. they owned stationary homes. even worse, are people who live in tent cities. such a tragic situation indeed. my heart goes out to any homeless person, whether 'hidden', or in the worst case scenario, on the streets.
anyway, i am wondering if any Airstream owners have as their only home, their Airstream.
i give to a charitable organization who helps the hardcore homeless who are often addicted. these people are given a new lease on life: not a hand out, but a hand up.
snog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:33 PM   #2
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
I live in mine. I don't consider myself homeless, my home is where I go.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:43 PM   #3
Silver Sneaker

2006 16' Safari
Denver , Colorado
Homeless?

We only own our truck, some stuff in storage, and our BambI. Got lucky in the real estate sweepstakes, sold out just as it was starting down. Retired at that time also, doing great, no debt, love the life style, and living within our means. So are we "homeless"?
Elvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
One of the reasons we thought an Airstream was practical is so we would always have a place to go...not sure where... but will certainly be comfortable whereever we are. Actually we will be spending 5 or more months away from home this year trying to reinvent ourselves as work campers. This is an experiment in progress...

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:46 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Let me tell you...I or Angel would not stand for a house...we don't need one. We are free from neighbors...free to relocate...free to change what we see out the front door at anytime. Sometimes some people get jealous as they see us and possibly realize they should be doing what we are doing...living free with the winds of life blowing into our face. Homeless people had to get to that place because of some sort of choice they made, or by some disaster, or drugs, or hiding...we feel for homeless people too, but remember we used to be homeless too. And it's true it is a terrible cold place to be stuck in...don't ever go there. We are working people and this AS is Gods blessing to us...When we see some of our homeless people around town, we just keep going, one day they will figure it out, maybe they won't...but we did through trial and error, and today I encourage anyone to go out in a remote alley for a night or two and curl up in a card board box or crate, and re-think their life and pray and ask for deliverance.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:26 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Homeowner or HomeOwned!

I watched too many episodes of "This Old House" and caught the bug.... then wasted too much time, energy and money on a huge money pit.

Home ownership is something we should all be rethinking - because of the bubble and the economy. Let us consider the myths:
  1. it's a great tax deduction (BULL) - the government subsidizes the interest you pay by letting you deduct 20% or so of it.
  2. it's a great investment - (MAYBE) - so if you buy ignorantly in a period of wild price speculaiton with the thought that the bubble can't burst, you've probably figured out - that's an activity called "gambling" not investing. If you buy and later sell in a normal market it often does look like a great investment, but... what about the maintenance you've had to do on that "investment"? Well, let's see.. you paint, mow the lawn, do landscaping, replace the odd water heater, maintain the furnace, buy a new dishwasher, maintain the plumbing... ad nauseum. When she sold her house in the early 70's, my mother's tax advisor said that there wasn't an exemption for capital gains from the sale of the house (was added later)... but nitpicker that she was, she had every record from 1947 through 1974 and after all of the costs were added up her long term capital gain was very modest.
  3. freedom - do you have to have a tall fence, a stout dog, a gun or at least an alarm system to feel secure? Does all your valuable stuff just become a chain around your neck?
  4. free time - how much time are your family and social activities severely limited by all of the routine cleaning and lawn care the BIG old honkin house requires? My money pit took six hours to vacuum!
So does a home own me now? NO. Free at last!

Of course I do have to clean my Airstream - and right now, it needs more than a lick and a promise. Nonetheless, I'll have it done in 2 hours including changing the bed linens and thoroughly cleaning the shower. And the neat part is that I can choose to pay someone to do most of the outside maintenance if I don't want to do it myself. I can afford it because of the lower costs of my tiny tube house.

Homeless? Or just reducing my carbon footprint in ridiculous comfort?

Paula
Old 03-12-2009, 09:13 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
  1. Quote:
    free time - how much time are your family and social activities severely limited by all of the routine cleaning and lawn care the BIG old honkin house requires? My money pit took six hours to vacuum!Paula
    [/QUOTE]
Paula.....What were you using? a Dust Buster? or did it just have dead batteries? Or just a really huge house?
See, I read these post all the way through sometimes

But on a serious note, I did see the news report on all of those funky RV's parked along residential streets out west. And the tent city popping up outside of Sacramento, CA
Not good.......
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:31 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
Great thread. I'll comment* later... and probably have my post deleted...

*well, some would call it comment. I'll try to "stick to the facts mam, just the facts."

"Reality Is The Leading Cause Of Stress"
"There are only five great men in the world and three of them are hamburgers."
rgesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:34 PM   #9
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Good post Paula !

I ran away from home in 2000. Sold it all.

I've been living as an adventurer and Scoundrel ever since

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:07 PM   #10

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I say 'you're never homeless in an airstream'.

I like our home. I like having three acres of space (I'd like even more). I like having a garden and an orchard and seeing how the trees grow from year to year. I like sitting out under the stars with no one else around. I like having room to let my dog run safely off leash. But of all the things we have, if it got down to it and it was just my husband and I and our pets in the Airstream, that would be ok with me.

So in this economy everything is for sale, except the Airstream!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:24 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Lets all just be watching out that little curved window...and we'll see as we go...
Old 03-13-2009, 02:49 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
I must agree with Stephanie, I love my home and the land. My dogs can run free and I have a big swing to sit in on the patio and watch the world go by. I love my trees and flowers and plants. I hate the mowing, but Spring and Summer are so beautiful that I get over it. I could live in the old Sovereign, but coming HOME is such a comfort.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:25 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
thankyou, all, for replying

indeed, it does seem that the sense of being 'homeless' can sometimes be one of perspective. if people CHOOSE to live full time in an RV, more power to 'em! i would hardly call that being homeless. i would love to do so, too, but, alas, i don't drive/nor can afford a car.
i also agree with the person who made some cogent points against stationary home ownership. sure doesn't seem like the investment it once was thought to be. on the other hand, though, paying rent for decades certainly is a total loss. you never get any of all that money paid in back.
yes, in some circumstances, people who are hardcore homeless do make some poor choices. i also have to wonder why people don't save when times are prosperous for them. even though i have been low income much of the time i've lived independantly, i have always saved as much as i could. i've known people who make many times my income who don't have a dime to their name. it does require dicipline to save. but, like the user who'd mentioned that having lots of possesions can be a millstone around one's neck, i never have had the desire to be aquisitive. that being said, i do have my little luxuries, but at the same time, i consider having money in the bank as the ultimate luxury. there's a rule of thumb that a person should have at least 6 months living expenses in their savings accounts. having no money to fall back on would make me very anxious!

anyhoo, i wonder if the RV owners mentioned in the news coverage could drive their RV's to an RV park...
Old 03-13-2009, 08:17 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
Peace of mind... We avoided all of the fun involved in buying a home and finding out it was a mistake. We've been in the same house for 25 years and although it was worth a lot more before the crash than now, we still have equity. None the less.... the twink in the back yard and a serviceable TV makes the concern about an unexpected turn about in our fortunes much less threatening. This unexpected benefit to owning our camper really does matter - to us.

Charter Member Four Corners Unit

WBCCI #2417
flitzwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 08:29 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Just like Elvie I sold my home in May '07 at a huge profit just before the you know what hit the fan. I live in a 20' 2007 Safari - have zero debt and have been debt free since 1980 - and I might add have lost not one cent in the schlock market as it became obvious to me after the Dot.com thing that it was nothing but a manipulated crapshoot and that the majority of financial advisers were a joke. But I certainly don't consider myself homeless. I just take it with me wherever I go.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:15 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
EDAR (Everyone Deserves a Roof)

Check out this story on CNN about portable tents for the homeless.......really homeless....

Tents on wheels give homeless people roof and pride - CNN.com

pj
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 02:46 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I think there is generally an involuntary element present when defining oneself as "homeless", whether you are in a shelter, on the streets, in your car, AS, RV, etc. I saw a news clip last night about one of Bernard Madoff's victims, who lost everything, they are homeless and living in their (huge) RV--but can't afford gas for it. One of those "there but for the grace of God go I"-----
Old 03-14-2009, 04:43 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
yeah, that totally blows about people having been *&^$ by one bernie madoff, who, ehem, made off with all their money.

i do have to say that i've always been leary of the stock market. which is why i still have my assests; even though they earn very little, being in CD's, at least they're safe. i wonder why people would put ALL their money in stocks.
anyhoo, it's tragic that folks trusted ol bernie. i hope he does make restitution.

i found it very sad that 'Brenda', the senior who lived in a 'tent with wheels', was homeless. elders should never have to be on the streets. you'd think the poor woman would be eligable for public senior housing...

indeed, there but for the grace of God, go i... i consider myself very fortunate to have my apt. it's shabby, but it's home and the rent is low!
Old 04-20-2009, 11:33 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Airstream310
on the road , CA and OR this summer!
wow great thread...
I have never thought of myself as homeless, although I live in my AS full time. I've lived in all sorts of houses, apts, lofts, warehouse apts, urban skyrises, and rural areas...always renting. But after all those I love my airstream living experience the best!

when it came down to wanting to buy something to call my own, the idea of being tied to one city was frightening....where to go?
Now I can pick up and go to California tomorrow, and then spend time on the east coast if I wanna

Some people landscape their lawn and buy clunky furnature, I save all my pennies for gas and have absolutly everything i need neetly packed in 30' of alluminum.

I payed about 500-1000$ a month plus all the bills for too long. airstreaming is wayyy cheaper.

MaryContrary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:53 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Paula.....What were you using? a Dust Buster? or did it just have dead batteries? Or just a really huge house?
See, I read these post all the way through sometimes

But on a serious note, I did see the news report on all of those funky RV's parked along residential streets out west. And the tent city popping up outside of Sacramento, CA
Not good.......[/quote]

3,150 sq ft on the main two floors, plus attic and basement. Six HOURS!

Of course that includes the baseboards and an ornate staircase with many banisters.

Paula