Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Airstream "In the News"
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-21-2007, 08:54 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
from the Huntsville Times 8/11/07....

al.com: Everything Alabama

Apollo 12 trailer resurfaces at a fish farm?
Saturday, August 11, 2007
By JOHN PECK
Times Staff Writer john.peck@htimes.com

'It's like finding a Rembrandt in a yard sale'

The U.S. Space & Rocket Center has landed a prize catch at a west Alabama fish farm.

Museum officials found a long-lost Airstream trailer that was used to quarantine Apollo 12 astronauts returning from the moon in November 1969.

The trailer has logged a circuitous route since being sold by NASA as surplus and has spent the last two decades at an aquatic research farm in Marion in Perry County.

"What kind of find is it? It's like finding a Rembrandt in a yard sale. There aren't going to be any more of these," said Al Whitaker, Space Center spokesman. Officials plan to retrieve the artifact and display it in the new Saturn V building.

Space Center officials announced the find Friday in a briefing to the City Council on the new Davidson Saturn V Center to open in January.

The Mobile Quarantine Facility essentially sat in obscurity until an observant director recognized the resemblance.

Paul Johnson, program supervisor for the Alabama Aquatic Biodiversity Center in Marion, said he suspected that the modified Airstream was a NASA original from its unusual design.

Johnson recalled seeing an identical Apollo 11 quarantine trailer while visiting the Space Center years ago. The Smithsonian Institution recalled the Apollo 11 trailer from the space museum in 2002.

"I notified the Space Center to see if they'd be interested in a mobile quarantine center that was used by the astronauts, but I never heard anything. I guess they thought I was some kind of quack," Johnson said Friday by phone.

Whitaker said the initial offer wasn't taken seriously because the story didn't seem to check out. "We did a cursory check here, and the records we came across indicated all four were all accounted for."

The Apollo 11 quarantine trailer was at the Smithsonian, and the Apollo 14 unit was at a museum of the USS Hornet, a recovery ship for Apollo capsule splashdowns. Whitaker said records indicated that a forest fire burned one that belonged to the U.S. Forest Service in Georgia. The other one was transferred to Mississippi and left to deteriorate, he said.

Johnson said a museum official called him earlier this year to request photos and permission to check out the trailer. "He said the curator had dismissed it and that they wanted to follow up on it," Johnson said. "I sent some pictures I had sent with the original e-mail, and they were down here the next week."

Whitaker, one of three museum officials who made the trek to Marion, said the team couldn't believe what it found. "We made a day trip out of it, and by God, there it was, the Apollo 12 mobile quarantine unit."

Records on its ownership were not immediately available. Johnson said NASA declared the units surplus after the Apollo era, transferring them to government agencies. The Apollo 11 unit was kept because of the historical significance of being the first moon landing.

The Apollo 12 quarantine trailer was transferred to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta, and it once quarantined researchers from Africa exposed to the Ebola virus, Whitaker said. It sat in storage for years and was eventually transferred to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

Johnson said the trailer was moved to Marion in 1984 as living quarters for researchers at the Southeastern Fish Culture Laboratory. The lab closed in 1995, but the trailer and buildings remained.

Whitaker said the Airstream is in immaculate shape and still has some of the original components such as the air purification equipment, an Onan generator and the wiring harness for the communication link between the quarantined astronauts and the outside world.

Whitaker remains baffled over records suggesting that the Apollo 12 quarantine trailer had been destroyed. "One did go to Georgia and was destroyed by fire. They either delivered the wrong trailer, or there was a mix-up in the paperwork," he said.

The Apollo 12 crew members were Alan Bean, Pete Conrad and Richard Gordon. NASA decided to isolate returning moon astronauts for up to 21 days after their return as a safeguard against the spread of any lunar pathogen. No moon germs were found, and the quarantine process was abandoned after the first three moon landings.
munimula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 09:49 AM   #2
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
What an interesting story - and looks like there will be a happy ending.

Just goes to show that a lot of what we are sure of, might not be true after all.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 10:32 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
I suspect the "burned" rig is secreted away in Area 33. This would help to account for the unusual pictures that came out of there earlier this year. I understand that some people are still missing....

Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 11:00 AM   #4
The Painted Pig

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Hailey , Idaho
Neat article, munimula!

Here's a picture of the Apollo 12 astronauts and the Airstream that I found here http://www.uss-hornet.org/site_graph...llo_12_MQF.jpg

Moonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 01:35 PM   #5
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I am amazed sometimes at how things get "misplaced" by bureaucracy.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 07:48 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
NASA Mobile Quarantine Facility

Member jaclaw has a lot of neat pictures (as does rfield54 and levon ... ). This shot of jaclaw's rotated across the top of the portal page recently -- Home - Photo Gallery - just airstreams. Banana plant. Shed in background. Sure looks more private than a NASA installation. Alabama fish farm? Who knows...

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 04:06 PM   #7
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream
Member jaclaw has a lot of neat pictures (as does rfield54 and levon ... ). This shot of jaclaw's rotated across the top of the portal page recently -- Home - Photo Gallery - just airstreams. Banana plant. Shed in background. Sure looks more private than a NASA installation. Alabama fish farm? Who knows...
Not the same one. The NASA quarantine units were something like 38' or maybe 36'. I forget, but they were longer than 34 and they didn't have wheels. They were on platforms that had to be hoisted by crane. Additionally, there were about 3 or 4 air purification units on top that were a little larger than roof top A/C units and had aluminum shrouds. The one on the fish farm was under a pole supported roof structure. The one in the photo was probably a mobile office.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 09-13-2007, 05:24 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Not too different from these then -- http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...ion-11165.html

I always wondered what sort of HEPA filters and window arrangements were on the NASA moonshot Airstreams if we were supposed to be quarantining the astronauts.

I did PM jaclaw this morning and ask him to look in, perhaps comment, on this thread.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 08:54 AM   #9
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I'm not sure about the air filtration, I just remember reading that it was pretty high-tech for the day and that there were several on the roof.

Also, I read in an article on the units, somewhere on-line, that NASA didn't chose Airstream for these units, Airstream chose NASA. Airstream was the only company to respond to the request for proposals that NASA sent out and Airstream got the project by default. I think once they got the contract for the first round of trailers, NASA stayed with them for future units and eventually the motorhome(s) that became the astronaut ground transport vehicle.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 09-14-2007, 10:41 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i suspect the NASA folks are drawn to the aluminum!
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote