Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2017, 08:37 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Another accident...

I hate reading about these. Still best we know that these events do happen...
Br careful out there please!
Brucehttp://patch.com/florida/brandon/cou...-overturn-i-75
Old 03-25-2017, 10:15 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Bikes and stuff on the back bumper again too.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 10:47 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
There are numerous news reports on this accident. I'd say that rather than any hitch/tow vehicle/setup/weight on the bumper issues this was a case of the driver becoming distracted and overcorrecting into the guard rail where things got really bad for him.
Pay attention people!
Bruce
Old 03-25-2017, 10:49 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the heads up and the link.

Hard to make out, but it does look like there is a storage box at the rear bumper, and that the bikes are hanging off the back of that box. Here is a link to the best photo, which makes it easier to zoom in on your browser:

https://cdn20.patchcdn.com/users/225...05352-3098.jpg

The driver swerved to avoid a vehicle:

"To avoid a collision, he steered left just after 3:30 p.m. and lost control of the vehicle and trailer."

. . . and apparently a sway situation went out of control, judging from the results IMO. ["lost control"]

Yes, it is possible that no sway occurred, and that the "loss of control" resulted from some other factor!

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publics...orough/2317909

Hope they recover from their injuries OK.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 10:53 AM   #5
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Time for the hitch experts, tire experts, and payload experts to start anal-lyzing.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 11:03 AM   #6
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
No need - rolling in left lane and could not stop in time. Hit guard rail trying to go around. He was toast when he became distracted and stopped driving actively. Hope the passenger pulls out of this without permanent disability. Sympathy to both. Towing is dangerous. Be careful out there folks. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 11:07 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Time for the hitch experts, tire experts, and payload experts to start anal-lyzing.
So they should disregard the possible causes of a terrible accident like this?

As if ascertaining possible causes and effects is anal . . .

Really?

PS -- Hope Ms. Meadows will recover: "A passenger in the vehicle, Joan Meadows, 69, of Cincinnati, suffered serious injuries."
Old 03-25-2017, 11:12 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Pure speculation on my part, but it reads as if a last-ditch effort to avoid a collision resulted in overcorrection to change lanes and hit the median.

I worry that many drivers I've ridden with seem to look only one-vehicle-length ahead while driving rather than anticipate further down the road... or drive as if their mission is more important than anyone else's on the highway therefore they drive aggressively rather than defensively...
Boxite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 12:32 PM   #9
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
That's why I buy my wife jewellery before any trip; keeps her distracted and allows me to concentrate.

High centre of gravity of the TV probably didn't help IMHO.

I wish them all the best for a speedy recovery.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 01:26 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
...when traffic ahead slowed and the driver steered left to avoid a collision
Distracted driver, seems to me. Not the fault of equipment. What a disaster. I feel for them.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 02:37 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Apollo Beach , Florida
I drive along that stretch multiple times a week. Rarely is there not an accident there or at the next exit in either direction. That is a very dangerous stretch of road. Traffic is heavy, bumper-to bumper three lanes with a major state road and shopping mall merging in. Traffic comes to a screeching halt from the 70 (most traffic doing 80) MPH speed limit. A few miles up the road is the I-4/I-75 interchange. Traffic accidents or backups happen there several times a day, backing up traffic to the I-75/State Road 60 interchange where this accident happened. So just maybe the cause of this accident was more about heavy traffic and high speeds coming to a sudden stop than a setup issue with the rig.

I wish for a speedy recovery for the couple. I'm leaving home to eat dinner off the I-75/SR-60 interchange soon. I'll be taking the back roads to avoid the backup.
Sold: 2017 FC25FB, 316 nights 40,150 miles
Sold: 2013 Casita SD17 89 nights 16,200 miles
AirMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 03:23 PM   #12
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
"Dodge Sprinter", looks like SRW, so possibly a 5,000 pound tow capacity, and what looks like a fairly large, tandem-axle Airstream.
Old 03-25-2017, 03:35 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Good observation, as is Isuzusweet's about the high center of gravity. Facebook members could probably find more info on the owners from Cincinnati. Wonder if they will post here at some point, as did the Idaho Rollover driver.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...ay-156615.html

Mr. Meadows may be a professional photographer.
Old 03-25-2017, 03:38 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
Prayers and concern for the Meadows and their recovery.
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 05:31 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
That's a terrible stretch of road. Many, many accidents.hope all recover.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 04:52 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Another photo confirming the SRW Sprinter, and an AS of at least 25' in length [IMO].

http://www.wtsp.com/img/resize/conte...et=video-still

http://www.wtsp.com/news/truck-hauli...i-75/425448345

In the various photos in all the articles, there appear to be extra items on the roof of the Sprinter, perhaps an awning or two, or some kind of rack IMO. Possibly adding to the high center of gravity.

Hope they are recovering OK.
Old 03-26-2017, 05:15 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
I live a mile from where that incident took place. The local news said the Airstream driver was in the left lane and swerved to avoid a collision and then lost control. To us locals, it is a known area where traffic bunches up for the exit. It is also a downhill (as big as they get in this part of Florida) stretch of highway leading up to the exit. A very dangerous portion of the highway during high traffic times. As another poster said, there are always accidents there.

I hope all involved are OK. Sad to see.

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 05:55 AM   #18
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneakinup View Post
I live a mile from where that incident took place. The local news said the Airstream driver was in the left lane and swerved to avoid a collision and then lost control. To us locals, it is a known area where traffic bunches up for the exit. It is also a downhill (as big as they get in this part of Florida) stretch of highway leading up to the exit. A very dangerous portion of the highway during high traffic times. As another poster said, there are always accidents there.

I hope all involved are OK. Sad to see.
While not always the case in Florida, left lane= fast lane. The speed limit there is 70, which is almost always honored in the breach. If they were doing what everybody else normally does in the fast lane, they were in trouble before the accident started, they just didn't realize it.

Likewise, I wish both of them a speedy recovery, though their insurance company may be uncomfortable when it's time to write the check.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:02 AM   #19
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
In the various photos in all the articles, there appear to be extra items on the roof of the Sprinter, perhaps an awning or two, or some kind of rack IMO. Possibly adding to the high center of gravity.
The items "on the roof" look like support braces the fire department put in place to stabilize the Sprinter so it wouldn't roll any more while they extracted the driver and passenger.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:26 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Houston , Texas
I see this where I live but people pull trailers and think their whole rig is just like driving without one.

I see people pulling boats and other things in the fast lane, tailgating and other stupid maneuvers giving little regard for the danger they project. They have no experience in how long it takes to stop a load like that and think their trailer brakes will work and the whole thing will stop on a dime and give nine cents change.

I recall as a teenager my dad occasionally pulled a trailer with a 2.5 ton tractor to the farm from where we lived. He always stressed the importance of coasting to stops, giving lots of room in between us and the other cars in front, and anticipating stops. That's because in part because the trailer's brakes didn't work. The lights didn't either at some point, but that's not a big deal with a flat bed trailer as long as you don't drive at night around here.

We never had an accident or came close to one and avoided pitfalls. It made me a safer driver today because I drive as if trailer brakes don't work for anything I tow. I anticipate stops, look ahead 1/4 mile, and am an active and engaged driver at all times. Thanks dad.
jokila is offline   Reply With Quote