Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Airstream "In the News"
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-19-2003, 08:01 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
'Airstreamville' dealerships

Here is an interesting article about the future trends of Airstream from the American Institute of Graphic Arts --
Airstream: The 21st Century Trailer. Some of the topics discussed are the history behind the design of the CCD trailer, confirmation that the largest growing RV market is the 35-55 baby boomers, and Airstream's pledge to fix the distribution problems by building new, stand-alone Airstream dealerships, code-named "Airstreamville," which will sell only Airstream's. The thought behind "Airstreamville" is that it will be a destination for both buyers and enthusiasts with an Airstream diner and a campground with hook-ups.
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 08:30 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Hi Yukionna: Interesting article. What's the publish date?
MaShep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 10:21 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
The date of the publication was September 2002. Here is another link to the article with
pictures.
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 02:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
well all the dealers i know sell sobs also. i ask and they say they couldnt survive with airstream alone.
i know one ex airstream dealer that refuses to work on airstreams units. and he is big in the sob world.
2004 classic 28 WB , Pro Pride P-3 hitch
centramatics wheel ballancers 300-556
wb13798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 02:33 PM   #5
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I know of at least one dealer that is pure AS down in SC. But he has been around a long time. If they go the boutique route like the new Mini's it might just fly, but they will need to protect the territory. JMHO

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 04:48 PM   #6

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Even the largest dealerships understand that Airstreams alone at this point will not earn them enough profit to build and operate the type of facilities that many of us see today. Remember that Airstream is building 25 trailers a week at this time. Factor that across all the dealerships in the US. Not too many to go around.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 05:50 PM   #7
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
The concept of an "Airstreamville" as a boutique within a multi-line dealership may work. But as a stand alone entity .. it just won't fly.

Many years ago I had an Apple exclusive dealership when Apple still had a pretty good size market share. But as the years passed I could see the writing on the wall ... so we started to build our own high quality Wintel computers and our business soared. After a period of time, Apple became a much smaller part of our business. I would have never survived had I stayed Apple exclusive.

I think the same holds true for most Airstream dealers. It's a small portion of their business that would not survive on its own.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 07:36 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
You may be right ...

... but I see that our new Airstream dealer here in Vermont is indeed a "stand-alone" dealer. From what I was told, the factory turned down offers from established multi-brand RV dealers in the area in favor of this dealer.

The trick to survival may be that this dealer also sells boats and cars. Perhaps under those circumstances "Airstreamville" CAN work in a single-brand dealership.

Anyway, Airstream is giving it a shot. We shall see ...

-- RL
rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 07:50 PM   #9
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I haven't done any research...yet, but if you were to do an Airstreamville dealership in conjunction with say a restoration shop, it might just work...but then again, I could probably completely restore a 70's vintage Sovereign for half of what the current day equivalent costs? But some people want brand new with a full warranty.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 08:34 PM   #10
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
If you were a GMC or Ford truck dealer with the Airstreamville and offered the complete package it would be a good product mix.

Add a car line like Saturn that can be towed 4 down and a good size camping store ala Camping World and you now have a destination.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 08:52 PM   #11
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Quote:
Originally posted by thenewkid64
If you were a GMC or Ford truck dealer with the Airstreamville and offered the complete package it would be a good product mix.
Funny you should mention that. Across the streeet from Toscanos is a Ford Dealership that is owned by ... Toscanos.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 08:56 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
When I was working in Ferrari North America several years ago, there were those in management who wanted dealers that would sell Ferraris exclusively. At the time, there were something like 35 dealers selling about 1300 cars in the US and Canada. Exclusive dealers could best promote the Ferrari mystique, or so the thought went at the time.

Maybe Airstream is on to something Perhaps they should team up with Ferrari dealers, and promote the both the Airstream and the Ferrari mystique at the same time.

Of course, some of the Ferrari dealers had real deep pocket behind-the-scene-investors who were less concerned with making a profit than with winning the next race. Can't you just see one of those Ferrari owners manuevering an F250 deisel and a 34' Classic down the freeway during rush hour?

John
Old 10-21-2003, 10:59 AM   #13
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
...or teaming up with Volkswagen, since they are pushing the Toureg pulling an AS
Jonathan