Old 10-13-2010, 10:16 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Actually that's paraphrased from the bible. 2 Corinthians ch 11 v 19 "For you suffer fools gladly, seeing yourself as wise." So you're quoting the apostle Paul, not the bard.
I'll defer to your expertise, just a basic pagan here .

Old 10-13-2010, 10:30 PM   #16

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by withidl View Post
I'll defer to your expertise, just a basic pagan here .
Hehe... I don't have any significant expertise in that area, just a Southern Baptist granny and a good memory. It sounded like something Granny would say in a biblical context, so it was easy to find the details when I looked it up in that context.

Old 10-14-2010, 01:41 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
I'm reminded of some insightful quotes from Ronald Reagan:

"Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives."

"Governments tend not to solve problems, only to rearrange them."

"Man is not free unless government is limited."

...an lastly, one of my favorites....

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first."

Ray
Old 10-14-2010, 09:32 AM   #18
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexray View Post
I'm reminded of some insightful quotes from Ronald Reagan:

"Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives."

"Governments tend not to solve problems, only to rearrange them."

"Man is not free unless government is limited."

...an lastly, one of my favorites....

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first."

Ray
oblig. aside:

Of course, Reagan was fond of seeing government as some sort of external entity, rather than our collective selves. Every time we blame government, we blame ourselves.

- Bart
http://smaalders.net/barts
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 12:06 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Ashland , Oregon
Okay, I'll play Devil's Advocate, just for fun.
People in the northeast and especially places outside of NYC don't do the RV thing as much as people in other parts of the country. Trailers and RVs are looked down upon, as you may have surmised from the article. Any neighborhood, anywhere in that area, which ignores their presence in someone's yard risks devaluing their property.

When I lived there, I understood it. One town doesn't want to be known as the place where you can park your trailer anywhere you want.

Then we moved out west and people had them everywhere. Here in OR, all you need is space in your yard and no one worries about it. And you know what? I think that's great. So what if someone has a trailer? As long as it is parked appropriately and not blocking the road, it is not a problem. I haven't seen any dilapidated old wrecks anywhere either. People tend to value their trailers and treat them accordingly.

But.

Residents in areas where RV'ing isn't quite so common don't understand. Asharoken is quite the hoity-toity place so the reaction to this doesn't surprise me. Once people's minds are changed in general then these attitudes won't be so prevalent. It will be a long, long time before that happens, though, so we'll see more of this.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:39 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Move to the Twin Cities, and you'll see the whole gambit from one extreme to the other. Some suburbs do not allow any trailers to be parked in your yard or driveway. This includes utility trailers, rvs, boat trailers, snowmobile trailers, etc. Others, like where we live, pretty much allows any type of trailer to be parked in your yard or driveway. The only requirement is that it be licensed and have current tabs, so we maintain Little Girls tabs even though she won't be road worthy for a few more years. Heck, we can even have visitors staying in an RV in our yard for up to 14 days at a time. Just can't connect one up to the city sewer system, or dump gray water on the ground.

Chris
Old 10-17-2010, 01:47 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
In this town (Altus Okla.) you can park and LIVE in your RV....until some one picks up the phone and complains, then the city comes and gives you a paper ha!
Old 10-17-2010, 10:58 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Aurora , Colorado
Debbie Masterson, wife of Trustee Masterson, said she supports the ordinance. "I've never liked [trailers] from the get go and... You go to Mastic Beach and lower-income neighborhoods and people have these trailers and they are used as guesthouses. I don't want to live like that."

Golly, who do you think she's talking about in Mastic Beach? Anyone we know?
Old 10-18-2010, 07:45 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2007 22' International CCD
fLUSHING , New York
mhmm maybe ill visit mastic beach
Old 10-18-2010, 09:28 AM   #24
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
You're out

Hey, it's not just the east. I can no longer visit my friends in Parker Colorado. Last time I visited, the block committee sent a letter reminding them that next time I parked my rig on the street overnight they would receive a fine.
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:58 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Aurora , Colorado
Well, parking is an increasing problem, but this is about not being able to park a trailer on the owner's own property, with acreage, literally at the end of the road, out of sight from the general public view.

So, this isn't really about parking on public property, or at Walmart, but is an issue of government taking private property rights away from the citizen. Read the story again, and look up the Airstream owner's name using Qwest Dex, then google his address for a satellite view of his property. All around him are properties containing boats, boat trailers, even motor homes, yet travel trailers are prohibited.

I see this as a contradiction of the equal protection clause. The Equal Protection Clause of the 14th amendment of the U.S. Constitution prohibits government from denying any person within its jurisdiction equal protection of the laws, in that an individual should be treated in the same manner as others in similar conditions and circumstances.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:50 PM   #26
Lili Lettice Leatherby

1982 28' Airstream 280
MIDDLE ENGLAND , The Cottage
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawkerII View Post
In this town (Altus Okla.) you can park and LIVE in your RV....until some one picks up the phone and complains, then the city comes and gives you a paper ha!
Hi Bill,
You were the first person I ever spoke to on the Forums
Your work is superb
Old 10-18-2010, 02:51 PM   #27

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
If motorhomes are allowed and travel trailers are not, there's a HUGE problem. It seemed egregious enough that boats were allowed but travel trailers were not, but per Forrest it seems that motorhomes are common in the neighborhood. I'd say the course of action would be to push for the city ordinance to be applied fairly to all such recreational trailers and vehicles (to include boats) and then I'm guessing the citizenry will get rid of the ordinance, or get it made rational so that it prohibits LIVING in a trailer in those areas, which seems to be the actual intent.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:36 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Ashland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
Well, parking is an increasing problem, but this is about not being able to park a trailer on the owner's own property, with acreage, literally at the end of the road, out of sight from the general public view.

So, this isn't really about parking on public property, or at Walmart, but is an issue of government taking private property rights away from the citizen. Read the story again, and look up the Airstream owner's name using Qwest Dex, then google his address for a satellite view of his property. All around him are properties containing boats, boat trailers, even motor homes, yet travel trailers are prohibited.

I see this as a contradiction of the equal protection clause. The Equal Protection Clause of the 14th amendment of the U.S. Constitution prohibits government from denying any person within its jurisdiction equal protection of the laws, in that an individual should be treated in the same manner as others in similar conditions and circumstances.
Forrest, I believe you are right. To me it shouldn't make a difference whether it's a boat on a trailer in your driveway or an RV.
Ziss means var!