Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Airstream "In the News"
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-22-2009, 11:47 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
"... at least the manual doesn't have any upkeep instructions for any."
Upkeep starts with a six digit income...and a few other unmentionables.

We were in LV 2 weeks ago at our timeshare and drove through the KOA to look at possible alternatives. They have about a dozen shiny aluminum rentals, and the web site is showing $45 a night for Feb.
some of the locations are better than others, as usual: some trees or shade, less traffic, etc. If you want to try this out in their A/S instead of yours, then drive around the campground to select your preferred location choices and then see what the office can do. (Maybe you can do that online?)
TerraYacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 02:15 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Texarkana , Arkansas
Hahahhahaa!!!! Rear end separation!!! That is GREAT!!! Hmmmmm....Maybe that is what happened to my AS!!! hee hee
Old 02-23-2009, 06:33 AM   #23
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari62 View Post
Wally looks like he is having more fun then Bob Wheeler.

That is because Bob is standing in front of units that are most likely being discontinued while the factory remains mothballed and the company image continues to be tarnished by stunts like this and it's poor QC, issues and support of those issues .
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:30 AM   #24
Rivet Master

I'm not surprized

Advertizers have been using women to point at, and caress vehicles probably shortly after the wheel was invented. BMW use to have a table with a mechanic and a salesman at the Euro auto shows. Then BMW of North America hired me to video tape the Chicago auto show, to show the Germans how to sell a car. ( I took shots of models all day long...tough gig ) I am not stupid enough to buy a vehicle because there is a pretty girl in front of it. It's insulting. I bought my truck to show my lady how big and strong I am. I bought my Airstream so that she would come camping with me.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:23 AM   #25
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
What a great PR move, get these trailers out in front of the Public so they can see for themselves what they are missing.

Specially "hardened" unit's.

Maybe, just maybe, we'll see some good come out of this for all of us.

If these units are half as "good" as....well, look at the bright side.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:02 PM   #26
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Jello Shots

Rumor has it that a Jose Cuarvo and Capt Morgan models are being unveiled at hot-hit night spots and underground raves.

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 02:15 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

Ft.Lauderdale , Florida
Has anybody actually tried this out? The KOA in Sugarloaf Key Florida is pretty much in my backyard...think I'll be checking it out...what a great way to experience the Airstream life before the big $$$$$$$$$$$...I think my silver blender or martini shaker would be right at home!!
barbsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 03:35 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 31' Classic
Golden Valley , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
My uncle owns a KOA and tells me they are not "normal" Airstreams, but special coaches hardened for rental use; he's not buying any and he's a old-time player. His wife is a ex-KOA owner and Wally fan (they've owned
seven Airstreams), agrees; it will cheapen the brand when these "rentals" come on the market. Who's going to keep them shiney?
My parents used to own a KOA and my mother's current boyfriend owns one now. They don't see how to get a return on them. It is around $58K to get one and that is a lot of nights at around $100 to pay back. Everyone has their own opinions.
Roger & Roxie (rore62) Smith (Air#178 - WBCCI#1646)
On the road!
2012 31' Classic - Nuestra casa rodante
Blog: https://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: https://airstream.casarodante.org
casarodante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 04:03 PM   #29

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by caadoptees;67.0039
My parents used to own a KOA and my mother's current boyfriend owns one now. They don't see how to get a return on them. It is around $58K to get one and that is a lot of nights at around $100 to pay back. Everyone has their own opinions.
Just curious if that is what Airstream is selling those to KOA for? My only thought was that these might either be on a lease purchase mode, or Airstream is discounting them considering them a marketing expense. Assuming that they could even rent these out 100 nights a year, the payback is far too long. My gut tells me that these are going out at a much lower cost than $58K.

My old boss and I looked at the potential of buying a KOA around 15 years ago. The saying at that time was you lived like paupers and retired like a king. Very few KOA's have enough days in a season to justify a $58K unit.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 04:06 PM   #30
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie View Post
That is because Bob is standing in front of units that are most likely being discontinued while the factory remains mothballed and the company image continues to be tarnished by stunts like this and it's poor QC, issues and support of those issues .
Get your facts straight.

The units were specially built for KOA and the fact that KOA placed the order was part of the post Jan 1 restart.

if you are that unhappy with your trailer vote with your feet and buy something else.

I stayed 2 nights there at launch and the were very nice units with all the typical Airstream amenities. I actually liked the "hardened" unit better than the standard one. No fabrics down low to get filthy, and a thicker floor, The kitchen was a straight one, not rounded. Other than those 3 things it was a typical unit to my eye.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1531.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	340.3 KB
ID:	75890  
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:22 PM   #31
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewkid64 View Post
Get your facts straight.

The units were specially built for KOA and the fact that KOA placed the order was part of the post Jan 1 restart.

if you are that unhappy with your trailer vote with your feet and buy something else.

I stayed 2 nights there at launch and the were very nice units with all the typical Airstream amenities. I actually liked the "hardened" unit better than the standard one. No fabrics down low to get filthy, and a thicker floor, The kitchen was a straight one, not rounded. Other than those 3 things it was a typical unit to my eye.
And we, as the paying customers of newer Airstream's don't deserve a better, (sic) "hardened" unit. You could use your dogs and spend $80k on something with no pride in build. Try it, let me know.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:00 PM   #32
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
My old boss and I looked at the potential of buying a KOA around 15 years ago. The saying at that time was you lived like paupers and retired like a king. Very few KOA's have enough days in a season to justify a $58K unit.
Jack,

All the units are currently in KOA Corporate owned/run campgrounds. they trial run everything before they put it out to the franchisees. I have no idea what the cost per unit was.

Most of the units are going to a 4 season campground at this time. I know they are going to put some in the NE for the summer, but all are destination locales where a higher rate is the norm. I know in Sugarloaf Key they were having no problem keeping them full.

The other big benefit is that if they are not working at one park, they can move them to a park that wants to try it, or one that is running high occupancy. Not something they have been able to do with the Kamping Kabins. Once they are parked, they are fixed units.

So now you can go stay in one for a few nights before you take the plunge. I think it will in the long run help get more new buyers into an Airstream because they can try before they buy..
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

Old 02-23-2009, 07:14 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
So Brett - thicker floor? Is this a return to park models? I could assume the GAWR isn't going up (if they stay with Henschens at least). Is there something about badging or VIN on these models to distinguish these from standard models? Just thinkin' ... further than the details warrant perhaps.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:24 PM   #34
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream View Post
So Brett - thicker floor? Is this a return to park models? I could assume the GAWR isn't going up (if they stay with Henschens at least). Is there something about badging or VIN on these models to distinguish these from standard models? Just thinkin' ... further than the details warrant perhaps.
I have none of those details.....

Right now the only way I know to tell is interior trim, and the fact they all have steel wheels (they put KOA wheel covers over them anyhow).
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Old 02-24-2009, 07:00 AM   #35

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewkid64 View Post
Jack,

All the units are currently in KOA Corporate owned/run campgrounds. they trial run everything before they put it out to the franchisees. I have no idea what the cost per unit was.

Most of the units are going to a 4 season campground at this time. I know they are going to put some in the NE for the summer, but all are destination locales where a higher rate is the norm. I know in Sugarloaf Key they were having no problem keeping them full.

The other big benefit is that if they are not working at one park, they can move them to a park that wants to try it, or one that is running high occupancy. Not something they have been able to do with the Kamping Kabins. Once they are parked, they are fixed units.

So now you can go stay in one for a few nights before you take the plunge. I think it will in the long run help get more new buyers into an Airstream because they can try before they buy..
It does make sense if it's a corporate park. I'm sure there will be a few sales from those who would like to try before they buy. The one benefit that they can't demo though is how well they tow. Short of a pop up or a Hi-Lo trailer, there isn't a better towing trailer out there.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 02-24-2009, 01:10 PM   #36
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Of course, only basing the payback on the $100/night rate completely ignores the fact that no matter how old the units are when either the promotion ends, or they decied to change them (if it works) there will be SOME residual value in the ASs that will be realized by selling them...
Old 02-24-2009, 02:19 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

These trailers come with out the awning package ,stainless steel wrap protectors and window guards. They do not have bottle covers and steel wheels. they are plumbed to use city water instead of going through the tank and pump. The floor vinyl is thicker not the sub floor.
As you can see there is some cost difference just by what is not there.
The KOA target lifecycle for them will be around 5years and then replace with new ones. The older units would go to dealers.
lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 06:25 PM   #38

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn View Post
These trailers come with out the awning package ,stainless steel wrap protectors and window guards. They do not have bottle covers and steel wheels. they are plumbed to use city water instead of going through the tank and pump. The floor vinyl is thicker not the sub floor.
As you can see there is some cost difference just by what is not there.
The KOA target lifecycle for them will be around 5years and then replace with new ones. The older units would go to dealers.
Very interesting. If the units stay static, I wonder what shape the axles will be in after 5 years of non use? Sounds like the trailers will have some rehabbing to do if they go to a dealers. Possibly revamping of the water systems, addition of the protectors and guards, new wheels and axles? Or might the go out as "as is" with the new buyers being warned that these are really "park models".

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15