Old 04-11-2007, 08:52 AM   #1
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I just read, and re-read to make sure I read correctly, in the April edition of the Blue Beret that Airstream plans to produce Class C motor homes! That's right, Jim Elmlinger, Region 12 President of the WBCCI, announced in his Club News article that "Airstream is also on record stating they are still planning on providing motorized product(s), such as Class-C and Class-B RV's so they are NOT a part of the proposed motion." (This is in reference to the motion to allow Four Winds Class-A motor homes into the WBCCI.)

They already provide Class-B motor homes so that must mean they are going to start providing Class-C motor homes! A few years ago, Airstream made a prototype Class-C and it was very nice. It had a very nice gray hard side exterior (fiberglass) with nice graphics and a beautiful interior very reminiscent of the interior of the Safari/CCD interior so I think this would be very desirable. It also had a slide-out with the sofa contained in the slide.

While the article I read in Trailer Life didn't give the price that the Class-C Airstream motor home would have sold for had it gone into production at that time, I think it very well could be a great seller in the Class-C market. After all, it would be an attractive coach with the Airstream cache'.

I think I'm going to write Airstream a quick e-mail and encourage them to proceed with this concept into production!

WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:36 AM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
An Airstream Class C resembling Airsteam Classic Class A's would be really neat.

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 11:48 AM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Love to see some specs and/or conceptual drawings.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 12:01 PM   #4

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Didn't AS life have an article last year about the Class C prototype and an interview with the folks who own it?

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 12:26 PM   #5
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
Didn't AS life have an article last year about the Class C prototype and an interview with the folks who own it?
yep. I've met them both.

(that is..."the owners", AND the class-c MH)
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 03:21 PM   #6
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags
An Airstream Class C resembling Airsteam Classic Class A's would be really neat.
Unfortunately, it didn't resemble the Classic Class-A. It did, however, look like a very high quality Class-C on the exterior and the interior looked like the highest quality Class-C I've ever seen. The interior was all Safari-CCD styling.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 04-11-2007, 03:48 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
nc , North Carolina
the most important thing to me would be what chassis and engine they use.
sometimes looks don't get it.
Old 04-11-2007, 04:03 PM   #8
Rivet Master

We saw the previous Class C proto-type last summer at the International in Oregon. Looked like any other Class-C. Van front end with a box attched. The new one, I would expect is to be placed on a cut-a-way Sprinter version of what they use for the Interstate..But I am only guessing.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:37 PM   #9
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Hey, now, that would solve the current constitutional amendment issue: Just get the IBT members to get themselves Class C Airstreams instead. (Oh, I'm sure they'd jump at the chance.)

Lynn
Old 04-11-2007, 06:28 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

At the FL State Rally, Airstream said there are several new motorhomes coming on a new Sprinter chassis that's due out in a year or so. They said only a few RV manufacturers would get these new Sprinters to use. The new Sprinters are able to carry more weight and I think they said would have more engine power. One of the new motorhomes will be a "cutaway" like a class C.

My impression leaving the meeting was that Airstream still will be in the motorhome business if and when gas goes sky high or is restricted.

The Sprinters are diesel and get good mileage compared to other RVs.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:10 PM   #11
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I have seen a number of Sprinter vans with dual wheels on the rear axle. I assume this would be the Sprinter van of choice.

My only concerns with the Sprinter van is that is appears narrower than the Ford products that are traditionally used for Class-C's so that might either make for limited space on the interior or awkward proportions.

Now if they used the Chevy/GM C5500 Chassis that is sometimes used on the higher end Class-C's like the top end of the Born Free motorhomes, they might have a winner. Either way, I think Airstream could very well be able to tap into the family market because of the popularity of the Class-C's.

Also, I had thought that this could very well be the answer to the Class-A debacle that will be before the WBCCI at the International this summer. It could be a compromise that would allow the aging IBT to get a new motorhome and still have an Airstream product. Yes, they would have to give up a little space and luxury, but they wouldn't have to give up the principles of the WBCCI to stay in the club.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 04-11-2007, 10:18 PM   #12
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock60
the most important thing to me would be what chassis and engine they use.
sometimes looks don't get it.

I totally agree!
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 12:16 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
The Class C has a lot of good features - not the least of which is a very good safety record. Having owned a Class A, the next vehicle in line was the Class C - until we came across the Airstream. One of the features I seriously liked about the Class A (---ours was only 22' long) was the ability to tow a vehicle along behind us. We had a Geo Metro convertible that was just perfect for touring once we parked the motorhome - and the Geo got 50 mpg to offset the 8 mpg of the motorhome! Lately, as I enjoy my second childhood, I've been looking at used Honda Del Sols and Mazda Miatas to play with in interesting places. I would never go back to a Class A - unless I could afford a diesel pusher - and that's not going to happen in this lifetime! A high-quality Class C - built by Airstream - could be interesting.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote