Old 01-16-2005, 11:51 AM   #15
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I think we'd all agree that there are several things that could be done differently. For me, it's easy to play couch coach. I was very happy to see Airstream starting to make cross type coaches. Meaning some of the CCD features brought into the main line, yet retain some of the natural feels of the fabrics and woods. This is a big step they took and it tells me that they really are listening to what folks are saying. For whatever the reason, I hope it continues. Hint, hint....CCD style windows in the cross coaches (main exsiting windows on the Safari only) and maybe a wrap round up front.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 12:04 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus
1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Aluminum Cabinetry and Alternate Flooring in Airstream Products

Greetings AgZep!

Originally Posted by AgZep
Personally, I'd vote for the elimination of anything that might rust or rot. I would have paid extra for some sort of inert, non-water-vulnerable subfloor material for example (might that kill the infamous '05 floor squeak?).

I'd even consider aluminum cabinetry, if such a thing is possible. Probably it is I guess. I've never seen a modern military airplane with much in the way of wood inside (but believe it or not, the floorboards of my '87 Porsche are made out of wood).
Both of these have been at least tried in past Airstream products. To be more specific, the Argosy Minuet 1977-1979. These coaches were narrow (7' wide at floor level), and came in legths of 6.0 Metre (20'), 6.7 Metre (22"), and 7.3 Metre (24'). They were in part a reaction to the fuel crisis of the early/mid 1970s and were designed to be light weight. All of the interior cabinetry for these coaches was of vinyl clad aluminum - - the only item that wasn't constructed with aluminum was the credenza and table as these utilized the stock Formica covered particle board. In addition most (but not all) of the 6.0 Metre coaches had aluminum composite flooring while a few (but far from all) 6.7 Metre coaches also utilized the aluminum composite flooring.

I have owned my Minuet for two full seasons, and it has the aluminum composite flooring as well as the vinyl-clad aluminum cabinets. It is a wonderful coach that is light and easy to tow. The only issue that I have had is the limitation placed upon floor covering selection by the need to deal with the rows of rivets utilized to attach the aluminum composite panels to the frame.

Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 01:01 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1963 24' Tradewind
Highland , Illinois
There is aluminum decking for homes that can handle 30" joist spans that may be an idea for the factory to look at. The samples I have are for a deck on a house. They're 6" wide and have a tongue and groove that gives you an almost solid surface. It's about $3.25 per linear foot. But that includes a powder coated and slip resistant finish. I'm sure the factory could get it "plain" for much less. Another idea is to use a Velcro type fastener to install carpet or vinyl at the edges and make it easier to take up in case of a leak or just to update your trailer.

cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 01:02 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member
2005 28' International CCD
Las Cruces , New Mexico
And even that might not be an issue today. Now they can bond aluminum with special glues to almost anything, even in car chassis applications. A bonded attachment would certainly be strong enough for an Airstream floor.
AgZep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 06:43 PM   #19
5 rivets, 1 loose screw
1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Originally Posted by thenewkid64
"In an industry defined by cut-rate sameness, a premium brand with an established heritage can really stand out.".
What a powerful statement that is. While other RV manufacturers strive to offer the same for less, Airstream has held fast to the principle that the best product money can buy need not compromise integrity
for economy. In today's world of disposable products and disposable people, the Airstream flagship still serves as a shining beacon for all who admire reliability that does not yield to fluctuating market trends.
Of course there have been falters along the way but Wally Byam set a course that was clear, concise and accurate. We consumers don't want sameness, we want excellence. If you will continue to build it, we will continue to buy it.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 05:14 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
I have owned two AS in my life, both older models. I don't suppose I will ever be in a position financially to buy a new AS coach. My hope is that AS will help those of us that hold these older coaches so dear by offering retro parts that we can use to keep them up and running. To be truthful, I'm not certain I would give up my 1978 Argosy 24ft coach for a new AS. But I think the fact that people see a coach this old in this great a condition is the best advertising Airstream could get. Why wouldn't you consider spending your money on a brand that you can see will last for 20, 30, 40 years or more in fantastic shape. And the resale value is there too. We are an advertising gold mine for Airstream. Judy and Bob
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 12:10 AM   #21
Very american 4 a french
1971 27' Overlander
about introduce the European Market, lot of difficulties 'll appear;

the major one 'ld be the size of most of models avalaible because our roads are not so large and right as in US, except if you use only motorways; In the cities it's not easy to tow and I don't told you in french villages; So people don't buy so large caravan because they can't tow them with their classic european cars.

the price... IN USA the new Airstreams are certainly expensive, consider them arriving in Europe with the value of the caravan, added with the shipping price and count on the total 40% more for the taxes.... The jackson center 'll have to do great prices effort to be competitive where all caravans are plastics .

Campgrounds... don't accept these kind of travel trailers, too big; they certainly prefer to rent 2 places instead of 1 for an A/S; so most of time it's a problem of access.

technical... all is different and the régulations are too; lot of works to do to transform the genuine A/S in an European one ( axles, braque, weight on hitch, lights, tires, electric equipment....); it's all for that I'have taken a vintage Airstream that the french administrations consider as a collectible trailer, to keep all these genuine equipments that do the charm and the chance to live as an american in holidays.

So welcome in Europe; I'm waiting with great impatience, that Aistream became a mark we can see currently on our roads and say " hey, it's american... Waoow ".
My blog:The american dream in FRANCE:
My pictures in high quality: Pictures on FLICKR:
My videos are on YOU TUBE
brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 11:22 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member
Send a message via MSN to gotair Send a message via Yahoo to gotair

Another idea is to use a Velcro type fastener to install carpet or vinyl at the edges and make it easier to take up in case of a leak or just to update your trailer.

I have the aluminum composit floor in my 77 argosy. Its nice to not have the dry-rot issue's however it is alittle ( soft ) for lack of a better word.. when I replaced the origional carpet I considered useing a pergo type product however I felt I would have had to use a plywood subfloor first and it just sounded like more work than it was worth: argosy had installed the carpet with a tack strip just like in a residence and stapled the tack strip to the floor.. I pulled this out and used velcro around trafic areas and when it gets old and dirty I'll just unvelcro it lay it down as a pattern and cut out a new carpet.. sometimes simple is better...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new upholstery 2.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	10662  
Life's short...take your kid camping
gotair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 12:24 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
The most important thing Harley did was to improve quality and reliabilty. I gladly traded my plastic Honda for an American Iron Harley and have loved it. I hope that "Quality" is not lost on AS but if my 2005 Safari Bambi is an example of current workmanship then Airstream has a way to go.

ericinrb is offline   Reply With Quote