Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Airstream "In the News"
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-29-2008, 06:23 AM   #1
Silver Condo III

2015 30' International
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Airstream production temporarily halted

Received a notification from a fellow WBCCI member that Airstream is shutting down the plant for five weeks until December 1st due to the economic situation. Evidently the notification came from WBCCI head-quarters. Anyone else heard anything about this?
Old 10-29-2008, 07:38 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamadeca View Post
Received a notification from a fellow WBCCI member that Airstream is shutting down the plant for five weeks until December 1st due to the economic situation. Evidently the notification came from WBCCI head-quarters. Anyone else heard anything about this?
Yes. I can't quote my source, but the source is around the corner from the factory. This took effect Monday.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:53 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Dolores , Colorado
This is a fairly common practice in times like this when the economy is not doing well. It is not just an A/S thing. My understanding that if a person has work scheduled for their unit at JC that still will be done. Heard that the Feds were considering lowering their discount rate again today in order to spur the economy. We should know by noon.
Bob
FCU
WBCCI #10105
AIR # 28748
dogpound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:05 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
It is just the production part of the plant that is shutting down for a few weeks...customer service, parts, service, etc. will remain open.

G

www.airstreamofarkansas.com

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

Keeping the Airstream Dream Alive!

AIR #8844
Airhog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:11 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhog1 View Post
It is just the production part of the plant that is shutting down for a few weeks...customer service, parts, service, etc. will remain open.

G
That is correct. They are not, repeat, NOT going out of business.
This time of year is normally slow anyway, slower than usual due to the economy, so rather than have their production people stand around, they're keeping them home.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:40 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
A more telling piece of information might be what they are doing with personnel during this turn-around / snooze.
Are many employees being laid off or just taking paid vacation time etc.

I wish em well but in the long run (or sooner) it might just all come down to what happens on election day next week. Higher taxes cannot do Airstream any good at all.

Six days and we will finally prove just how stupid or how lucky America really is. The fact that it is even close goes to show how far this once great and secure country has digressed. "Thanks" American "Education" System..... What hath you wrought ??

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:51 AM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distantdrummer View Post
"Thanks" American "Education" System..... What hath you wrought ??

Dis is not a hijack, but I resemble that remark.

Blame someone, apathetic citizens.

If it's not work'n for you, you work for it.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:53 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
Start buying America would help a Bunch! John
Diesel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:55 AM   #9
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
If folks think that in 6 days there is going to be some magic wand that will begin to fix our issues, I want what you have.

Fact is greed is what drove this economy to where it is today. Add to the fact that the build quality really isn't there and the prices for these units has skyrocketed, it's just the perfect storm.

Thor is the largest RV and bus builder on this rock. Airstream is not going under, but I am pretty sure this has opened a few eyes. The entire manufac sector is in the dumps. How quick will it recover is anyone's guess, but I am hearing sounds of 2010 before we start to pickup.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 09:12 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
What there Closing the Air Stream Plant.... Just joking..... I think we need a little humor here... Hope no here is getting laid off..... The cut backs don't seem to effect the western slope of Colorado that much.... Gas and oil industry is not slowing down or the coal mines...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 09:53 AM   #11
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Actually, refineries in some areas are beginning to cut production based on demand falling off:

Gas at more than 38-month low - Oct. 29, 2008
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 10:42 AM   #12
Trailerite

1971 23' Safari
Riverton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Yes. I can't quote my source, but the source is around the corner from the factory. This took effect Monday.
I bet that hurts that restraunt where the factory people eat lunch every day.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:26 PM   #13
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to airedale Send a message via MSN to airedale Send a message via Yahoo to airedale
This is sad to hear, however, if it helps them stay open in the long run, its SO worth it!
Operation "SAVE RUDY" Strike Team (Charter Member)

Check Out My New Airstream Blog
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 01:38 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Temporarily closing

I wish there was some way to change the topic of this thread from "Airstream Plant Closing!" to ". . . temporarily closing", or even ". . . closing for a month".

"Closing" sounds so permanent. . . like they are going to tear it down and put the land back into corn and soybeans. Airstream/Thor survived the last Depression, so we can hope they will survive this one. My sympathies for all the wonderful folks of Jackson Center.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 02:22 PM   #15

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I used to work for a company that had a plant shut down every year during the slow season. They called it a lay off, employees would go on unemployment for a week or two, then they would come back to work like nothing happened. I don't think it's really that unusual.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 02:52 PM   #16
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distantdrummer View Post
"Thanks" American "Education" System..... What hath you wrought ??

So I did it?

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 02:54 PM   #17
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
I wish there was some way to change the topic of this thread from "Airstream Plant Closing!" to ". . . temporarily closing", or even ". . . closing for a month".

"Closing" sounds so permanent. . . like they are going to tear it down and put the land back into corn and soybeans. Airstream/Thor survived the last Depression, so we can hope they will survive this one. My sympathies for all the wonderful folks of Jackson Center.
I've changed the title to something a little less ominous...
Also, try to keep the political commentary to a bare minimum, a lot of people are wondering where they'll be working next month, and we don't need to fuel the hysteria by pointing political fingers. There's more than enough blame to go around, on all sides of the political table.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:16 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Lenoir City , Tennessee
production stopping

My husband and I toured the AS plant last week. The tour guide told us about the 5 week shut down in production, but assured us that service was in full swing. He told us that summer of 2007 was so busy that they had 100's of units on back order. Last week they didn't even have a full production run.

The tour was great anyway. The new toy haulers are really nice looking units - better looking in finish than the other brand toy haulers we've seen.

Interesting sidebar: We also toured Mandalay in Elkhart, IN - also a Thor facility. They are shutting down production for a while as well, but we were assured that Thor is solid, has no debt and can ride this out.

If you haven't seen the new RV Museum & Hall of Fame in Elkhart it is worth the trip. The building is huge, gorgeous, and full of vintage trailers that have been meticuously restored and/or maintained.

Kelly
kfrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 04:57 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
When I was young in the late 60's I worked for a auto hauling firm in Michigan. We had the same thing every year.They called it CHANGE OVER. We were off for about 8 weeks while the GM change model yrs.
At least it's only 5 weeks GM's Truck and BUS in Moraine(Dayton) is closed permanently as of Dec 23 NICE CHRISTMAS PRESENT.
I don't think there is any hidden meaning here.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 05:35 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Word on the street--Customer Service Department,Airstream's Parts and Service Center is operating:taking calls, processing parts orders and scheduling service appointments. Last working day in November is Nov.21.They will be taking the week of Thanksgiving off and returning on December the 1st.
lynn is offline   Reply With Quote