Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2008, 06:48 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
I've changed the title to something a little less ominous...
Thanks!
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 07:08 PM   #22
on the hunt

Currently Looking...
riverton , Kansas
Send a message via Skype™ to osolow
what about the employees? there probably going to be stuck on unemployment.
your going to tell me that the plaint in JC is in perfect shape and needs No maintenance what's so ever? or cleaning?
instead of keeping 1/2 to 3/4 of there employees busy buy putting a broom or a wrench in there hand the company would rather let there employees draw unemployment.
osolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 07:44 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
They most likely will do maintanence,just not with a full crew. lots of company's do a yearly shut down.
Diesel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 06:25 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i would hope that companies in this situation would use the slowdown to improve quality control. a better product is the best way to increase long term sales.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 06:37 AM   #25
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray View Post
So I did it?
Yes, Rodney. Although Terry has sounded the general cautionary note against political finger-pointing in this thread, I have come to believe that the blame lies entirely with you.

Rog
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 11:12 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
holland , Pennsylvania
not surprised,but the last time i was out at jc they were producing alot of units for overseas deliveries.i suspect that the dealers are having a hard time getting funding sources for customers to buy since the credit markets started to freeze up.alot of lenders in this market are not buying anyone with less than a 700 credit score.i asked my ad about this and he said that most airstream buyers usually put down a decent downpayment and have pretty good credit.i suspect until this election is over and the markets start to settle down,peoples confidence will not be regained with this economy.i dont see how high taxes is the answer.we need to put people back to work in this country and make these politicians accountable.integrity throughout the entire system in the public and private sector has totally disintegrated.i just dont understand while smart hardworking americans arent more furious about this whole mess.
xonvldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 02:39 AM   #27
Islay - 63 O.

1963 26' Overlander
Montreal , -
Send a message via MSN to dufferin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhog1 View Post
It is just the production part of the plant that is shutting down for a few weeks...customer service, parts, service, etc. will remain open.

G
they shut down the quality control a while ago...

Few rolling wheels to make our planet a house.

A 1/5th of her that I own.

TAC# : QC-1

my blog

https://rvcampreview.com
dufferin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 03:16 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by dufferin View Post
they shut down the quality control a while ago...
A looooooooooooong while ago.
Old 10-31-2008, 03:50 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
For the first time in history, GM will shut down production of the Corvette for two weeks in the near future. A sign of the times.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:58 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
2009 23' International
Bainbridge Island , Washington
There could also be a little "supply-and-demand" economics involved here: as the credit markets stabilize, demand should also return and with supply interrupted, prices will probably stay up. This might explain why we're having trouble finding a "deal" on a new (or newish) 23' Intl. No one really seems to want to come down much in price.
jglabrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 10:36 PM   #31
1 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Spicewood , Texas
I was at a Colorado Springs Dealer today when a 18 wheel Driver with two new 25' Airstreams on his rig pulled in. He lives near the factory and delivers new Airstreams to Dealers around the country. He had just left the factory 2 days ago and he said that the New Manufacture will be shut down for 1 week each month for the next several months.
When Airstreamers Die "May they get to Heaven 20 minutes before the Devil knows they are there".
TUDO BEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 12:11 PM   #32
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUDO BEM View Post
We are fine, great having you with us.
Old 11-02-2008, 04:04 PM   #33
Liquid Cooled

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
near Indy , Indiana
For giggles, go to your favorite financial site and look up Thor, Fleetwood, Coachmen, and Winnebago. Thor's actually in a very good position comparatively, and when Fleetwood, (which was trading at something like twenty five cents per share) and one or two others get shook out, Thor ought to be in a good position to take advantage of increased share of a somewhat smaller market.

They seem to be doing the right sorts of things. For instance, their CEO's compensation is considerably less than that of many of his peers. This is significant, as even though they were profitable in the most recent quarter, the bonus fairy took a bye.

I don't know about all of their competitors, but if they pulled a profit in the 3 months ending 31 July, they're doing something right.

I know of a company that had a bad spell about 6-8 years ago, and went through many of the things GM appears to be trying now. Layoffs, renegotiating with the union, streamlining product, and a fundamental change in the business model. It worked for them, in no small part because the union wasn't particularly strong. Had it been the UAW, I've no doubt the company would have folded. Not making a statement about the UAW in particular, or unions in general, but Honda built a plant in Indiana and had 10x the number of applicants as positions, starting at around $10/hr. That's the competition for GM, Ford, and that Home Depot guy running a car office (Nardelli). I think Mullaly and Wagoner realize this, but cannot do much about it. I only hope the labor representatives accept it before it's too late.
(sorry for the rant)
Personally, I half expect one of the big three to go chapter whatsit and leverage the snot out of their labor agreements. If it works, the other two are going to get a similar deal. If it doesn't a second of the big three files bankruptcy and tries it too. There isn't much bluffing this time around.

Keep your fingers crossed; it's going to be close.

And if gas prices stay low (paid $2.03 today) next year... that will likely kill one of them.
RedSHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 06:21 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2010 30' Classic
Copper Falls , Michigan
we brought our airstream in for service today and were told the factory has shut down until January
huskyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 06:42 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

Production is scheduled to start up on December 1st.Things can always change it is not January at this time.
lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 04:13 AM   #36
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Just curious... why is this such a catastrophe? Factories do this sort of thing all the time. It is kind of the life of a blue collar worker to feast or famine. I experience this sort of thing all the time as a carpenter. Work gets slow, take a day or two off. Work picks up, and there are not enough hours in the day. Some out there drive a desk and forget that this is the way it is for the working men and women all across the USA. Most salary jobs are you are employed or you are not. With the blue collar people it is not always steady. Some trades actually look forward to being laid off, it is the unofficial paid vacation. In a previous life I was a construction foreman for a landscaping contractor. I looked forward to being laid off every January and February. That was my opportunity to go to Mexico for three or four weeks and not be cold.

Do some look at this as the end of Airstream? Would not winter be a slow RV sales time anyhow?
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 08:00 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Smith lake , Alabama
This down turn is going to be much worse than any of us alive now have seen. I'm expecting 9% unemployment and over 10% won't shock me. Between the housing market, huge debt that americans are in, The banks actually want down payments, great credit history and a job to pay for whatever you buy. This mess gets real bad in another month or two, Dow 5000 is a real posibility before this is over. This gets much worse from here. Let the bail outs begin, starting soon. The housing market will crash for another 2 years at least, they can't stop it, it's still way over priced.

IMO, airstreams are way over priced, and the quality is pretty bad for what you pay. Now that fuel,steel,aluminum and every other commodity is half price compared to a few months ago, they should lower their prices too. But can they afford to with this down turn? I hope the company saved a bunch of the money they made, they will need it. JMO
mrchinup1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 08:17 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Smith lake , Alabama
"I know of a company that had a bad spell about 6-8 years ago, and went through many of the things GM appears to be trying now. Layoffs, renegotiating with the union, streamlining product, and a fundamental change in the business model. It worked for them, in no small part because the union wasn't particularly strong.'

GM and Dodge have 625 thousand retired workers getting great pensions and healthcare, They will get bailed out but unless you do something about this, how is it possible they make a profit? Just watch our National Debt grow in 2009, who is going to pay this money back? We are in trouble this time, thanks to Greenspan, banks, and our lovely, highly educated, government employees.
mrchinup1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 05:45 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
CEOs enjoying the gift from bailout

We have now subsidized CEOs making great bonuses while the little people can barely survive.

My neighbor went to his bank (which was bailed out) to renegotiate his loan to a lower rate to prevent forclosure and they would not even talk to him.

So what are they doing with all the money we have given them? Feeding their fat faces, it seems. I do not understand why there were no regulation put on these bailouts. The banks should be required to disburse these funds through reasonable loans to the American people. This would be the beginning of revitalizing the economy. None of the funds should be for bonuses to the fat cats. They are already way over paid and do not deserve a "bonus".
Old 11-10-2008, 09:23 AM   #40
3 Rivet Member

1957 22' Flying Cloud
Lone Jack , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchinup1 View Post
The banks actually want down payments, great credit history and a job to pay for whatever you buy.
You mean to tell me that financial institutions are now making sure people can afford to repay the loans for which they are applying? The dirty rat bas****s! Where will it end, indeed?
Pop.528

"You better learn it fast; you better learn it young"-John Fogerty
Larry in MO is offline   Reply With Quote