Old 10-29-2008, 02:22 PM   #15

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I used to work for a company that had a plant shut down every year during the slow season. They called it a lay off, employees would go on unemployment for a week or two, then they would come back to work like nothing happened. I don't think it's really that unusual.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 02:52 PM   #16

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Originally Posted by Distantdrummer View Post
"Thanks" American "Education" System..... What hath you wrought ??

So I did it?

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 02:54 PM   #17
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
I wish there was some way to change the topic of this thread from "Airstream Plant Closing!" to ". . . temporarily closing", or even ". . . closing for a month".

"Closing" sounds so permanent. . . like they are going to tear it down and put the land back into corn and soybeans. Airstream/Thor survived the last Depression, so we can hope they will survive this one. My sympathies for all the wonderful folks of Jackson Center.
I've changed the title to something a little less ominous...
Also, try to keep the political commentary to a bare minimum, a lot of people are wondering where they'll be working next month, and we don't need to fuel the hysteria by pointing political fingers. There's more than enough blame to go around, on all sides of the political table.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 03:16 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member
2008 31' Classic
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Lenoir City , Tennessee
production stopping

My husband and I toured the AS plant last week. The tour guide told us about the 5 week shut down in production, but assured us that service was in full swing. He told us that summer of 2007 was so busy that they had 100's of units on back order. Last week they didn't even have a full production run.

The tour was great anyway. The new toy haulers are really nice looking units - better looking in finish than the other brand toy haulers we've seen.

Interesting sidebar: We also toured Mandalay in Elkhart, IN - also a Thor facility. They are shutting down production for a while as well, but we were assured that Thor is solid, has no debt and can ride this out.

If you haven't seen the new RV Museum & Hall of Fame in Elkhart it is worth the trip. The building is huge, gorgeous, and full of vintage trailers that have been meticuously restored and/or maintained.

kfrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 04:57 PM   #19
Rivet Master
1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
When I was young in the late 60's I worked for a auto hauling firm in Michigan. We had the same thing every year.They called it CHANGE OVER. We were off for about 8 weeks while the GM change model yrs.
At least it's only 5 weeks GM's Truck and BUS in Moraine(Dayton) is closed permanently as of Dec 23 NICE CHRISTMAS PRESENT.
I don't think there is any hidden meaning here.
Roger & MaryLou
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 05:35 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member
Word on the street--Customer Service Department,Airstream's Parts and Service Center is operating:taking calls, processing parts orders and scheduling service appointments. Last working day in November is Nov.21.They will be taking the week of Thanksgiving off and returning on December the 1st.
lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 06:48 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
I've changed the title to something a little less ominous...
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 07:08 PM   #22
on the hunt
Currently Looking...
riverton , Kansas
Send a message via Skype™ to osolow
what about the employees? there probably going to be stuck on unemployment.
your going to tell me that the plaint in JC is in perfect shape and needs No maintenance what's so ever? or cleaning?
instead of keeping 1/2 to 3/4 of there employees busy buy putting a broom or a wrench in there hand the company would rather let there employees draw unemployment.
osolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 07:44 PM   #23
Rivet Master
1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
They most likely will do maintanence,just not with a full crew. lots of company's do a yearly shut down.
Diesel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 06:25 AM   #24
Rivet Master
2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i would hope that companies in this situation would use the slowdown to improve quality control. a better product is the best way to increase long term sales.
2012 F150 Super Crew 5-1/2' bed Ecoboost 4x4 3.73 elec. lock diff. Propride hitch
give life. kidney & pancreas transplant 9/9/06
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 06:37 AM   #25
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray View Post
So I did it?
Yes, Rodney. Although Terry has sounded the general cautionary note against political finger-pointing in this thread, I have come to believe that the blame lies entirely with you.

AIR 2053 Current: 2006 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis, & 1995 Coachmen B-van
Former Airstreams: 1953 Flying Cloud, 1957 Overlander, 1961 Bambi, 1970 Safari Special, 1978 Argosy Minuet, 1985 325 Moho, 1994 Limited 34' Two-door, 1994 B190 "B-Van"
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 11:12 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member
2007 31' Classic
holland , Pennsylvania
not surprised,but the last time i was out at jc they were producing alot of units for overseas deliveries.i suspect that the dealers are having a hard time getting funding sources for customers to buy since the credit markets started to freeze up.alot of lenders in this market are not buying anyone with less than a 700 credit score.i asked my ad about this and he said that most airstream buyers usually put down a decent downpayment and have pretty good credit.i suspect until this election is over and the markets start to settle down,peoples confidence will not be regained with this economy.i dont see how high taxes is the answer.we need to put people back to work in this country and make these politicians accountable.integrity throughout the entire system in the public and private sector has totally disintegrated.i just dont understand while smart hardworking americans arent more furious about this whole mess.
xonvldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 02:39 AM   #27
Islay - 63 O.
1963 26' Overlander
Montreal , -
Send a message via MSN to dufferin
Originally Posted by Airhog1 View Post
It is just the production part of the plant that is shutting down for a few weeks...customer service, parts, service, etc. will remain open.

they shut down the quality control a while ago...
Canadian Atlantic Unit Past President
Protect your dream from others and first yourself...

Few rolling wheels to make our planet a house.

A 1/5th of her that I own.

TAC# : QC-1

my blog
dufferin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 03:16 AM   #28
Rivet Master
2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Originally Posted by dufferin View Post
they shut down the quality control a while ago...
A looooooooooooong while ago.

flyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote