Old 05-04-2006, 10:38 PM   #29
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
If you find it, let me know, I think the screen guard is really cool.

I still am in total shock, $61k...and for a 19' no less. I'd buy a Classic before I'd even consider spending that kind of $$$ on a 19'. I know it won't depreciate as fast, but in the end, it's gonna loose a good portion of the value the second you pull it off the lot.

That's just an obscene retail price, even after a standard 18% off list.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 09:05 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
David is selling the screen guards on his site.
http://www.vintagetrailering.com/acc...nd%20stuff.htm

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 10:17 AM   #31
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I just picked one up. Very resonable!
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 05-05-2006, 11:12 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Cool! Did you see the Home Sweet Home ones he had before these? He's a very gifted metal worker along with all his other expertises.

Now these are mounted on the outside of the door, right?

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 11:53 AM   #33
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I did. His website says that he made a bunch for the Airstream factory store and that the ones he's selling are "proofs" which he says there are only a few. Not sure what Airstream will charge for them, but at $99+shipping, it was a no brainer. He is very gifted.

The part does go on the outside and even though I have the standard inside factory installed screen guards, I may just add this one to the outside. I think it'll add a lot to the look of the entry way.

Guess I just used up a bit of weight against my remaining NCC putting this on.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:30 PM   #34
Craftsman

Just went to Davids site and bought one of the 75th Anniversary door guards myself. I also have one of his "Home Sweet Home" door gaurds but it doesn't fit my 76 Sovereign or my 94 classic screen door.I contacted him about a return but he never got back to me. I'm thinking of putting it on eBay. I love what he did for Airstream, but $61,000.00 is a lot for that little trailer no matter how you slice the pie.
Old 05-05-2006, 01:17 PM   #35
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman
I love what he did for Airstream, but $61,000.00 is a lot for that little trailer no matter how you slice the pie.
Agreed. Not sure how much input he had in terms of pricing the unit.
Old 05-05-2006, 01:26 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
Agreed. Not sure how much input he had in terms of pricing the unit.
I would say probably not very much considering the price of the restored '68 on his website at only 25K. That thing is absolutely BEAUTIFUL! ** And I believe the inspiration for the 75th unit? **

cheers,
brad.
Old 05-05-2006, 01:39 PM   #37
Craftsman

Carol, I'll agree that he's a gifted artist and craftsman but my guess is these were cut out on a CNC machine. Feed the design drawing into the computer the machine does the rest.
Old 05-05-2006, 05:08 PM   #38
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Just got and email from David saying he's already shipped the screen guard. Can't wait to see it in person.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:08 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

1996 30' Excella
Bowmanville , Ontario
I saw the guards at Jackson Center April 7, I asked how much and they were $89 not $99. I wanted one but I had just spent a bunch on repairs and mantenance. Last year I had screen guards put on my door and now they have this. I also had segment protectors put on last year now they come out with the taller ones shown on the 2006 classics. Gee, my timing is a bit off.
Old 08-12-2006, 07:42 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1963 24' Tradewind
Highland , Illinois
Mrs. Cosmotini and I had some free time so we rode to our dealer, Bill Thomas Camper, today.

They have a 75th LE Custom Bambi in their showroom and we've been wanting to see one.

The trailer is really impressive.

It looks like they use real wood laminate/plywood and stain it a nice rich color. A little darker than birch but not too dark.

The floor, dinette and counter tops look to be the same material (marmoleum?) with the floor being dark and the dinette and galley counter tops being a nice grey.

The layout is surprising. It felt as large or larger than the 23' Safari we also looked at.

The aluminum trim around the dinette table makes it much more comfortable than what's in our CCD. The edges on the CCD dinette are almost painful. I'd like to find some trim like that to put on ours.

The same trime is used around the galley and roof lockers. It also seems like it would help control any liquid spills since it has a small rise to it.

The couch/bed would be a little too small for us but it's designed very well and the materials and cushions are comfortable.

The only thing I think would have improved the the trailer for this size is use the panorama window.

The stainless steel on the galley cabinets looked good with the wood.

The entrance door has a round galley window.

The wheels are painted black with chrome moon hubcaps. Since it's a 19 footer, it only has one axle.

All in all, we were impressed. I hope Airstream takes the Winick concept and uses it some larger trailers.

The different materials and colors just all work very well together.

Sorry for no pictures. I took my camera, but unfortunately, found out it's broke!

Air #4056

"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 08:36 PM   #41
Craftsman

I agree. Airstream should let David design a 25 footer.
Old 08-12-2006, 10:27 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmotini
The aluminum trim around the dinette table makes it much more comfortable than what's in our CCD. The edges on the CCD dinette are almost painful. I'd like to find some trim like that to put on ours.
The table in my Classic has the same sharp corners and quickly became painful if I crossed my legs against it or leaned against it while sitting on the couch.

I solved this by making a real wood overlay for the table with nice rounded corners. There are photos of my overlay in my2005 Classic thread at posts #115 and #116. The overlay also makes the table a bit larger for better dining. Our table stays up all of the time; if we need to briefly fold the table or extend it, the overlay is simply removed and stowed elsewhere.

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote