Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Sovereign > 1974 - 1979 Sovereign
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-24-2012, 10:26 AM   #1

Blythe , Georgia
To Buy or not to Buy?

I have an opportunity to purchase a 76 Soverign for 3,000- my friend tells me it is a 26ft. but i can not find any information on 26 ft 1976 Airstream Soverigns only 31ft.
He is asking $3000.00 and it is still all ORIGINAL. (except the ac and fridge)

It is in tip top shape and needs some cleaning. It has been run into something (someone like me must have been pulling it)

My husband is an air craft mechanic so he says that the sheet metal work will be no problem for him.

I dont know if I should jump on this or not. We have been looking for an Airstream for some time now and have found one in good shape. It is just a little older than we wanted.

If we do get it do we keep the original floor plan or change it up?
AprilWatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:46 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
An old Airstream can be a money pit. Leaks, rotten wood subfloors, rusted out frames, worn out axles, electrical problems, plumbing shot are typical. They are repairable but it can be a long and expensive project.

Floor plan changes involve weight and balance (very critical) and window, plumbing and tank locations for example. Best to upgrade what's there, or find a more suitable trailer.

Find some help inspecting this trailer thoroughly and do your research on repair/alteration costs, sometimes $20K to $40K.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:48 AM   #3
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
You are right about Sovereigns—31'. The Overlander was 27' and the Tradewind was 25'. But the length is not necessarily the same as the name. Our 25' is really just shy of 26', for example.

Photos of it would help, especially the damage and the side of the trailer so how it sits on the axles can be seen. Any older trailer, no matter how good it looks, will probably need some repairs and costs can mount up quickly. Fortunately a mechanic in the family helps a lot if he shares your desire for an Airstream.

What you do with the interior is up to you. But, there are not a lot of ways to arrange trailer furniture. The heaviest things should be over the axles, so kitchens and bathrooms tend to do best in the middle. You want plumbing to have short runs and drains go to the grey and black tanks efficiently. Different era trailers have their own issues and you'll probably get responses shortly about what else to look for.

On the Portal page on the right side you can find out if there are people in your area willing to inspect trailers and advise you on what you may be buying.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:16 AM   #4

Blythe , Georgia
pics

Click image for larger version

Name:	5N15L85J23Ge3I23Fdc5mfbf1798c79131b41.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	159205

Name:	5N85K25Jb3L23ma3Nac5m9fd80a6fba34134d.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	159206

Name:	5T45K15Fa3K73L83o7c5m052c35edba7819a2.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	159207
AprilWatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:28 AM   #5
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Looks good inside except for the decor. After shining it up, the damage may not be so noticeable. The crunches on the lower panel could be covered up with segment protectors (rock guards). Someone may comment whether the axles need replacing.

If it has been sitting for years and years, things may not have been kept up. Constant use means someone was probably fixing things. How old are the tires? How is the floor? Have the electrical and plumbing systems been upgraded?—they probably need it by now. Anything of this vintage needs a thorough going over.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:58 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Your friend might have measured the length of the body to get that 26' when the trailer (coupler to bumper) is 31'. Personally I would not worry about fixing the dents in the front unless I had to pull the front apart to fix the floor.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:05 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
There are better trailers... plus you won't lose a friend when you're feeling like you're standing in a cold shower tearing up $100 bills every time you attempt to do more than put band-aides on trailer problems.. .
Old 05-24-2012, 05:38 PM   #8

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
It appears to be missing the coupler, a tongue jack of any kind, propane tanks, 2-way RV fridge.... these are non-trivial things.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:18 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I'm not into buying an Airstream with any body damage. In my experience a 1976 with a good body, a good frame, and a mostly good floor, will cost from 10 to 14 thousand USD above purchase price just for parts and supplies to make it into a decent but not perfect trailer. DIY time will be three years. I work alone. If my wife helped it'd take 5 years.

The trailer in your picture with the front damage could be covered up and look fine with a front segment protector (rock guard) available from Airstream dealers.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:38 PM   #10
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
It appears to be missing the coupler, a tongue jack of any kind, propane tanks, 2-way RV fridge.... these are non-trivial things.
That right there would be the deal breaker for me. I paid about that for a complete 1975 Sovereign a few years ago, mine came with a new fridge and furnace. I chose to tear it completely down to deal with some known frame issues. It may be back together by Christmas...if the world doesn't end on 12/21/12 first

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:00 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I noticed the damage on the lower curbside segment first... then lesser damage on the two curved ones. That wierd marker light on the side ... somehow doesn't look original. Put on to cover a hole?

Curved segments are a pain in the neck to get straightened out.