Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Sovereign > 1974 - 1979 Sovereign
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-25-2006, 01:04 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
madera , California
The Great Inspection

So I begged for an inspection on the thread.. no response, Soo I begged DOORGUNNER in pm, (yes mom I met him before at the NorCal cult rally)

Tim graciously responded yes. And he showed up! YES!

After a full day of touring my trailer and performing some great feats, there are not enough words to describe my appreciation for Tim's ability to translate his experience and expertise to level I could understand without telling me I'm an idiot . The cross references of experience in military, airplanes, and boating creates quite a huge high quality diamond.

I needed to know what I had from an honest objective observer. DOORGUNNER most definitely filled the post.

I learned some issues are not as bad as I thought, and some issues I did not know about were worse than I did not know about But most important, I can move in soon, and someday a can move it again to go camping someday(projection/plan 15 mos).

One of the many biggest living in issues was the door would not lock and close. First closing, yeah she was level but not correctly, restabilizing closes door and saves warping frame, (THANK YOU TIM) and he multitasked in a rivet removal lesson too!

Lock easy buy for 265.00 not incl tax, ship, handling or Wonder fingers Tim, an additional screw and lots of liquid wrench and my old lock works, I can sleep in it safely and actually lock items in the trailer. Priceless. (ooh yes I had to rewrite that one)

I now have a good idea of what its worth (NO its not for sale, and Tim would get first dibs anyway), what its equipped with, what I need to do to move in, what I need to do to go camping with it, what some options are to look into for a more cost effective way to handle some issues on a limited income.

Again words cannot express my gratitude for the detailed orientation and work done by Tim, I now know what I can and can't touch and I can read the manual. And yes I know pictures w/qs.. and save everything I remove.

A Great Inspection is invaluable from the right person, again I'm greatful I got the right person to succumb to my begging!!!
Thank you DOORGUNNER
ROLWIL-74 Sovereign AIR#17050
Will there be flames on my hoops today sir? All my other sayings WILL either offend someone or LTAO
rolwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 07:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Tim (Doorgunner) is a great guy .Im glad he helped out ,I think some are probably gun shy on the inspection thing and maybe not feeling totally confident possibly about doing an inspection .I myself would do it down here in SantaBarbara area if anyone needs some help ,but yes Tims great!!!

Scott of scottanlily
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 08:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolwil
So I begged for an inspection on the thread.. no response, Soo I begged DOORGUNNER in pm, (yes mom I met him before at the NorCal cult rally)

Tim graciously responded yes. And he showed up! YES!

I needed to know what I had from an honest objective observer. DOORGUNNER most definitely filled the post.

A Great Inspection is invaluable from the right person, again I'm greatful I got the right person to succumb to my begging!!!
Thank you DOORGUNNER
Did he leave behind any spuds or shell casings?
TIMEMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 10:15 AM   #4
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Aww Shucks-weren't Nothin

Thanks for the kind words, kinda cought me off guard. I'm sure any other AS owner would have done the same. So everyone is waiting for the report of findings. here is a brief list, Trailer level but tooo much pressure on stabilizer jacks causing door alignment problems. Door lock corroded from lack of use, dead bolt lock key sticking, univolt only putting out low huuum, loose propane fittings at "T" on curb side, scattered dry rot at aft compartment- rear bath area, wasted axles(the big dilemma), very minor dry rot street side by cabinet, water fittings blown apart from freezing, clear coat about normal for a trailer this old,some resealing necessary on exterior fittings, lotsa evidence or rodent retirement, thats most of the big stuff. So the GREAT NEWS is - here is a trailer that is basically structurally sound, only a few areas that need floor R&R. The fridge works! and all the other appliances are in place- pretty much stock. Nothing has been mickey moused around. Yes a good cleaning is in order- trailer sat for 5 yrs unattended. but this rig will be NICE when a little TLC is administered. I would not hesitate to go thru another AS with a new owner, it really is fun to see how AS changes things between the years. I'm liking the 70-80 model years more and more. and yes spud casings were left behind! Best Wishes Tim

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 10:31 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
rolwil -- This is a fabulous report and I karma-tized doorgunner of course!

Just realize there is no such thing as dry rot. Water is always involved. I suspect you've already added looking for leaks to your long to-do list. I like Nick Crowhurst's signature line, "The price of freedom is eternal maintenance."

Thanks again to Tim. This sounds like a great project. Enjoy!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 10:38 AM   #6
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
D Gunner - Karma to you for a job well done. Police that brass!

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 01:31 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
madera , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMEMACHINE
Did he leave behind any spuds or shell casings?
Yes! Yes! The icing on the cake was at least a doz spud peels!!
Finally got to see it in action!
And no one around me complained!! I want one!! Great for coyote gathering interruptions I'm sure.
ROLWIL-74 Sovereign AIR#17050
Will there be flames on my hoops today sir? All my other sayings WILL either offend someone or LTAO
rolwil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1974, sovereign, inspection