Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Sovereign > 1974 - 1979 Sovereign
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-02-2012, 01:02 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Murfreesboro , Tennessee
Tankless water heater

hello i am proud new owner of a 78 sovereign airstream. I have to replace a couple appliances including the water heater. i wanted to know if anyone has had any experience with the tankless kind and if they make one for my model and year airstream.
tlynn87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I think Lewster was trying out a couple of new entries to the marketplace. Not sure he has reported back yet. You might try PMing him.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
BTW, welcome, I see this is your first post

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 01-02-2012, 01:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Hit the search tab on the blue bar above. Use the GOOGLE field and type in tankless water heater. You'll find a bit of reading there and see Lewster's comments.

Old 01-06-2012, 05:56 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Murfreesboro , Tennessee
Thanks for the advise!! I'll check out the other threads!! This is my first time to blog...
tlynn87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:23 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Someone mention my name??????

So far, there are 3 RVIA approved tankless water heaters available certified for RV use: Precision Temp's RV-500, The Girard Products unit and the new Atwood Tankless unit.

The RV-500 is a solid unit that has been pretty well discussed and tested. I had a Girard when it first came out and didn't think it was the effort to connect and test it.....just didn't look like a quality unit. The new Atwood unit is just a less in price than the RV-500 but comes from a company with many years in the water heater, furnace and RV products business and looks like a well built and substantial unit.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:36 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
I used the PrecisionTemp M 500 (much the same as the RV 500 but it's stainless, power vented and a bit more spendy).

PrecisionTemp.com: For Recreational Vehicles and Boats

I like the option to vent within 20 feet of the unit and will probably use another one on my Sovereign project. I'm not keen on the square patch on the side of the trailer.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:48 AM   #8
Thousand Trails Founder

2000 30' Excella
Bend , Oregon
Send a message via MSN to Damianmgk Send a message via Skype™ to Damianmgk
Tankless WH Advice

I am an AS newbie with a 2000 Excella - only way to get my wife to go with me roaming the Western US for four months is to solve the 3 min shower problem. So looking for experienced advise on Tankless Water Heater:
  • Does the Precision Temp or Atwood do something that Girard does not that makes it worth the extra cost?
  • If today, which of the three would you purchase?
Priorities in order: trouble free, works to shower without water temp jumping around too much, price.
Damianmgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:04 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Happy with Precision Temp

We installed a Precision Temp RV500 and are very happy with its performance. Not too much use yet, so can't speak for long-term performance. Quite happy with long showers and plenty of hot water.

The other brands had not come on the market when we bought ours, so we did no comparisons.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote