Old 12-18-2013, 09:56 AM   #161
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Hey Gregg! Man, I'm honored! First post after three years and it's on my thread! Awesome!!! That's how my dad raised me, treat people the way you want to be treated... If they end up being a butt, well, we can deal with that too.

Almost everybody on this forum has been awesome, and the vendor I was talking to was very helpful, although they kept cutting me off mid-sentence and finishing it for me, only incorrectly. They ended up being very helpful though. I'll do business with them in the future.

I really wanted to attend Canopener 2014, and meet a lot of the people on here but it is 10 days after I get back from a vacation, and I just don't think I can swing this one.

Good luck in your search for your Airstream. Any particular model/year you're looking for?

-Red

Old 12-18-2013, 01:40 PM   #162
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Red, Maybe I should update my profile. Last fall I purchased a 1999 30' excella 1000 classic. Last month I aquired a Dodge ram srt quad cab with 5234 miles. I'm planning on full timing it for a couple years then who knows. It would not be possible if it was for this forum. You can feel the passion that people have towards streamin. Always being helpfull or leanding a hand. I look forward to visiting this great family in the near future. Gregg P.S. Employers should never threaten employees with money.

streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 02:05 PM   #163
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Best to you with the full timing. Don't know when or if we'll ever go there. Plan on spending a lot more time on the road when retirement hits in a few more years...
-Red
Old 12-21-2013, 09:01 PM   #164
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Well, another long day wrapped up. Lots of pictures.

Starting out with a giant "Thank You!!!" To Michelle, Liz, and Andy at Inland RV! They bent over backwards to get my axles to me. Long story behind it, but they REALLY came through for me. Thanks again!

Tell you what, I'll write up the axle install tomorrow, and post up pics with it. Meanwhile, here she is sitting on her own four feet again...Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1387681212.657424.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	202144

Got a lot of aluminum to go to the scrap yard now...

-red
Old 12-22-2013, 07:43 AM   #165
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
Yes, I would be most interested in your axle install trials and tribulations. Tell us more.

Another Sovereign gets a make over. They are very popular trailers. Yours is looking very handsome.

And thanks for the idea on the "reverse drill press" for drilling rivet holes for the belly pan. I have mine nearly completed. I'm using my bottle jack instead, but it will take the strain off my shoulder.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:06 AM   #166
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Ah she's looking good, Red! It was a very nice feeling to feel ours move under us again when we got the axles in and her feet down after 4 years of "solid" feel. It's a huge milestone to get new axles! And look how much higher she sits now.
We also went to Inland for axles and have been very happy with their help.

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 11:06 AM   #167
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
As usual your posts are entertaining and I very much can relate to other's assuming you're ignorant, then add being a woman to that and it is quite fun. I, too, am educated and speak 3 languages, but in the 10 seconds on the phone I am a dumb woman from the south that should have her husband to do everything for her. I couldn't do this project with the wonderful help I have received from my husband, my father, the forum friends, and the excellent help I have received from all my orders from JD Sanders Airstream in Gainesville FL. They treat with respect as well as the local automotive store and Fasteners. Have fun Red! I enjoy your posts.
GAStreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 12:31 PM   #168
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
I drive past JD Sanders everyday on the way to and from work. I stop in there so often, they know me by site, and what I'm working on... Just bought a travel latch for the awning from them Friday. Awesome guys, very helpful, and very friendly. Another big help in Gainesville has been Florida Fasteners. Great selection of rivets. Also the hardened 10-32 screws for the awning that you can't find anywhere. I've yet to stump them on a bolt/screw/rivet.

Hey Kay, she does sit up quite a bit higher now! I really should have left her on the stands until I get the stabilizer jacks in (hopefully this afternoon), but I just couldn't stand it once I got the brakes wired. Can't wait to roll her down the highway.

And, as every name in our family has, hers has been changed to The LoveStream, which has been shortened to just "Lovie" now by the wife. Thinking of naming the TV "Thurston Howell III"...

Well, it's time for my Sunday afternoon nap, then it's on to the stabilizers. Axle story coming shortly. I took tons of pictures.

-Red
Old 12-23-2013, 08:23 AM   #169
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
The tale of two axles... (Attention: If you are a grammar nazi, keep it to yourself... I ain't got time for it)

Here we see the axle out of it's native environment, sitting on a makeshift workbench instead of supporting an Airstream as God intended it to...
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1387807090.708515.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	202218

First thing you'll need to do is get that hub assembly off of there, so, pry off the dust cap, pull the cotter pin holding the castle nut in place, then remove the castle nut...

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1387807197.998100.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	202219Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1387807224.991851.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	202220Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1387807252.516000.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	202221

Now, wasn't that simple? Next, grab the edges of the brake drum and gently pull it towards you...set it over to the side, being careful not to lose the D washer that is probably stuck in the grease on the outside bearing. If it worries you too much, pull the D washer first. Put all this out of the way, someplace that you won't get any dirt in it... Your spindle should now look like this

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1387807419.218534.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	202222

Next, you will see the nuts holding the brake plate (not sure what the proper name is for it, but it holds the brakes so... meh...) take those five nuts off and remove the brake plate. Something to note at this point, REMEMBER WHICH SIDE YOU TOOK THIS OFF OF!!! They are directional, and specific to one side of the axle! Luckily, there is a sticker on mine that says which side they go on.
Now let's look at that naked spindle...

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1387808539.924352.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	202223

... Continued next post...
Old 12-23-2013, 08:53 AM   #170
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
You're going to want a little protection on that spindle, because there's fixin' to be a lot of grindin' and weldin' going on around here, and wouldn't it be a shame to get all that nasty filth all over your shiny new spindle? So, I took one of the plastic bags the new shocks came in and slipped it over the spindle... Yeah, yeah, I know, I know, keep your Trojan Man jokes to yourself...

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1387809032.509017.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	202224

Now, the shock bracket controversy begins! Just where do I mount this thing? Inside edge of pivot arm? Outside edge? Well, I can't remember if it was Top or Colin that told me to measure from the frame mounting bracket to the shock mount bracket on my old axles, and set up the new ones to those dimensions... BRILLIANT!!! Why not go with what's already worked for forty years, huh? So, here I am taking the old measurement...

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1387809803.727385.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	202225

Came out right at 3 1/4 inches... So, on the new axle I measure out that distance, and clean off some paint, because my MIG welder just LOVES clean metal...

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1387809936.101978.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	202226

Then I tack weld the bracket in place and re-check. My motto has always been, "measure once, cut twice", but I reversed it for this job... Wanted to get it right.

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1387810055.736518.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	202227

Then I weld it all the way down both sides...

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1387810126.079107.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	202228

You may be saying, "Red, it seems that you are working on two different ends of the axle!", and you'd be right. I took pictures of both ends, and am using the best picture from either end... Hope it doesn't get too confusing for you.

Now, do everything you have done on the other end of the axle, and it will be ready to go in the frame... But, your frame isn't ready for the axle...

Stay tuned.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:21 AM   #171
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Ahhh, that pesky frame! It isn't cut out to fit this new axle now, is it? So here's what I did... Hoping this is correct, because it wasn't addressed very clearly that I could find, but it made sense...

Andy, of Inland RV, told me to line up the rear mounting hole, and that would keep my axles lined up. So, going off of that, you need to remove some metal from the front of the axle notch (need a 3 inch notch) and from the top of the notch to get the brackets to rest against the frame. That was the part I wasn't sure about, removing the metal from the top of the notch, but it was the only way to get the axle brackets to seat up against the frame, and that seemed desirable to me, so I did it... Looked like this when I was done...

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1387810895.954074.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	202229

Ok, I'm not the neatest person when it comes to using an angle grinder lying on my side... I tried!

Now I supported the axle on each end with a rolling floor jack, well, a motorcycle jack on one end... And rolled it up under the trailer, then jacked it up into place.

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1387811106.116779.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	202230

You'll notice I attached my shocks to the axles before I set it in place... Was just easier that way. Should have mentioned it earlier...

It's hard to tell in the picture, but I jacked it up by the mounting brackets. I didn't want to put any stress on the axle tube, and I SERIOUSLY grunted that thing up in there so it would be jam up against the frame when I bolted it on. Again, that was what seemed logical to me. May be wrong, but it seems right... Anybody that knows different is welcome to respond to this thread.

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1387811307.861150.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	202231

Got the holes lined up, inserted rear bolt and tightened the stew out of it. Then you'll notice the front hole... If you bought a Dexter axle, for some reason they can't cut the front hole to line up. Seems like it would be pretty freaking simple to do, but what do I know. It wasn't that big of a deal anyways... Get a step bit (I'm pretty sure this was Colin's idea), and SLOWLY drill the hole out to fit your bolt. I day slowly, because a half inch drill will twist your arm off when that bit catches...

This is a step bit...

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1387811551.921808.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	202232

And this is the mismatched hole...

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1387811636.762028.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	202233

Here's where I fail you... I didn't get a picture of the hole after I drilled it. You'll find you remove more metal from the frame than the axle bracket as you drill. I guess the frame must be a softer metal, but it did that on all four holes I had to drill.

Next I used some large washers to span the mismatched gap, and tightened the CRAP out of these bolts, which is a lot tighter than tightening the stew out of them... It's very technical.

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1387811936.817739.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	202236

And reassembly begins... Go ahead and finish installing the shocks...

...continued.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:36 AM   #172
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Mount the brake plate and tighten the lock nuts...

ATTENTION: Get the right freaking plate!!! They're side specific, remember? I put mine back on the axle they were on originally, and did one axle at a time to avoid confusion...

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1387812389.019802.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	202237

Then the brake drum, D washer, and castle nut, with cotter pin to lock it in place. I'm not going into detail here on hub/bearing assembly. If you don't know what you're doing, don't be afraid to ask!

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1387812522.794633.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	202238

Then tap the dust cover back on... And slip the Centramatic balancer on, if you bought 'em.

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1387812573.299818.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	202239

You'll want to wire up your brakes at this point... You'll be needing them shortly!

Then mount your wheels, and sit that sucker back down on the pavement!!!

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1387812660.280387.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	202240

From start to finish, with the old axles already removed, this job took me roughly eight hours. A couple trips to the hardware store and lunch included...

A giant shout out to Andy, Michelle and Liz at Inland RV! Huge thanks to Colin and Top for their advice, and hugs and kisses all around for all the support from this forum. Y'all are an awesome bunch and I can't wait to meet some of y'all on the road some day... A few of the others, a wave will do...

-Red
Old 12-23-2013, 05:49 PM   #173
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
Panama Red,

Santa has new axles on his sleigh and I hope to see them Christmas morning. Your postings are a big help to me. I agree and I will jack the axles mounting brackets tight against the frame. I was told the two bolts hold the axle up, but do not carry the weight of the trailer, only the weight of the axle when you become airborne. That's why the slotted holes are okay.

I would like to remove more metal from the axle bracket instead of the Airstream axle plate. The enlarged hole you had to drill looked hard to do. I figured on using a hole saw or the end cutting rotobroach. I had not seen a step drill like yours before.

Thanks again for all your effort to make this thread informative and fun. Southern Hospitality!

David
Old 12-25-2013, 02:14 PM   #174
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
David, glad you're enjoying the thread! Hope it helps out somehow. Regarding the slotted axle bolt holes, I'm seriously hoping I never get airborne to test the bolts out....

With the axles out of the way, I've had time to jump on the shower and vanity a little bit. Vanity came out pretty nice, but I've got to figure out a decent trim for the shower tub. The crap that was in there is ugly and doesn't fit very well...
Wasn't exactly the granite pattern I was looking for, but it will work. I really wanted something with a hint of blue in it. Oh well, maybe the next time I redo this trailer...
-Red

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1388002299.263029.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	202316
Old 12-26-2013, 08:37 PM   #175
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
I hope you don't get airborne either.

Now I see you moved inside to the bath area. Nice looking sink, faucet, counter top. Did you build that? I have a new vanity to make for my old Airstream. But I have a rear window to work under (its a rear bath layout). The counter top in my Trade Wind, from the factory, is a low 28" How high is your vanity counter top from the floor. 28" is for kindergarten sized folks. I'd have to brush my teeth on my knees!

David
Old 12-27-2013, 06:31 AM   #176
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
I kind of built it. It's the original cabinet, with a piece of counter top that I bought from Lowe's. I was going to just buy a piece of laminate and skin the plywood counter top I had made, but I could buy a four foot piece of counter top for the same price as the piece of laminate. It was way too deep from front to back, so I cut the back splash off, cut the counter to the depth I needed, and glued the back splash back on. Clean joint. You would never notice if you're not looking for it. not sure what the counter height is. Will measure this afternoon when I get home.

The sink is a 12 inch mixing bowl I bought from a local restaurant supply store. I punched a inch and a quarter hole through the bottom and installed a drain, and saved myself a couple hundred bucks... I originally was trying to order a stainless sink, but they were just so darned expensive.

-Red
Old 12-28-2013, 10:25 AM   #177
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Wow, Red! I had Chris take a look at your axle install because I didn't recall ours being that involved. And it wasn't. Ours came bolt on ready and the only thing we had to do differently was raise the trailer up on it's supports another 3 inches to get the 12 inch brakes under it. Then we slid the axles under, jacked them into place and bolted them on. No cutting frame, drilling, etc. We bought what Andy recommended and sent us..... Wonder if there's that much of a difference between '72s and '74s?

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:32 AM   #178
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
I'm not sure about the differences. I know they wouldn't fit any other way, and this was what Andy said I'd have to do to get them in, except for the notching of the top of the axle slot. I came up with that on my own, and hope it was correct. Apparently Dexter isn't drilling their mounts to match up to Airstream's holes... They went in pretty nicely though. Getting her ready to roll as we speak... A day late and a dollar short.

-Red
Old 12-28-2013, 06:50 PM   #179
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
New tow vehicle! This thing is PERFECT!!!Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1388278208.881657.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	202519
Old 12-28-2013, 06:57 PM   #180
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
They see me rollin',
They hatin'...Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1388278367.104262.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	202523

Finally got her hooked up and rolling. Loading up and heading out!!! Next pictures will be The LoveStream at the beach...

-Red