Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2013, 01:09 PM   #141
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Chris says the white stuff was Dicor. Very nice job! Are you a writer in another life, or have you been reading too many novels lately....
-9 isn't too bad, wind chill makes it worse. -25 was when the governor closed the schools when my kids were younger and we had those temps. Superintendents wouldn't close the schools because of temps. We haven't been below -20 for a few years here in the Twin Cities. Remote starters and engine heaters help a lot.

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:56 PM   #142
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
I read a good bit. I'm a huge Stephen King fan, as well as Clancy, and Flynn, but King is my favorite. Odd thing is, I'm not a huge horror fan, but the way King makes his stories come alive, so much detail you can picture every scene... Love a good story. One paragraph is the extent of my writing. I always wanted to write a novel, but honestly, everything I have ever tried just sucked. Those guys have something special in their brain to write like that.

I'm still thinking -9 is grounds for closing the state and sending everybody down to Texas for a break...

Whatever the white stuff was, it was covering a layer of Vulkem, and was itself topped with a huge gobbing of brown silicone, which is also gobbed around the vent just in front of the antennae mount. Along with gobs of clear silicone. I hate silicone... The Vulkem seems to seal better, and is easier to remove when you want to redo it. Ok, maybe if you used the silicone properly, and didn't just gloob it all over the place, it would seal perfectly well, but it's not used that way on this camper... It's just goobed and globbed, and gooped and gloobed. Starting to feel a little like Dr Seuss...

I do not like it, Samiam,
I do not like this belly pan!
I do not like this silicone,
Why did I bring this trailer home.

-Dr Red
Old 12-09-2013, 12:08 AM   #143
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panama Red View Post
Starting to feel a little like Dr Seuss...

I do not like it, Samiam,
I do not like this belly pan!
I do not like this silicone,
Why did I bring this trailer home.

-Dr Red
EXcellent!
Old 12-09-2013, 07:29 PM   #144
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
The final banana skin is on. That is all...

Pictures and more Wednesday... G'night

-Red
Old 12-11-2013, 09:31 AM   #145
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Annnnnnd, THE AXLES ARE HERE!!! WOOOOOOOOOT!

Got a busy week ahead of me... More coming this evening.
-Red
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3665212139.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	705.8 KB
ID:	201609  
Old 12-12-2013, 07:04 AM   #146
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Got the gas lines installed last night, but the regulator appears to be putting out insufficient volume. Not enough to run the stove too and the water heater at the same time... So, it's either wash or eat. I'm choosing eat. Actually, I'm choosing "new regulator" or, "tear regulator apart and see how it works, then buy new regulator". Either way, I see a new regulator in my near future. Axles are still sitting in the bed of my truck. Will be starting the install Saturday. Have a couple reflectors to clean up and rivet to banana wraps. Running out of things to do on this camper... smmphhhh...snicker...

Ok, I've still got a ton of stuff to do, but I finally found the far end of the belly pan. There be monsters here...

Couple of pictures. Finally got the pilot light to fire off on the water heater. The venturi for the pilot was clogged. That is one teeny tiny little hole. Still not as big of a flame as I'd like for the pilot, but I'm going to wait until I get the pressure situation straightened out before I mess with it any further.

Other pictures are the completed street side. These old banana skins are pretty beat up...

-Red
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-97263778.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	447.8 KB
ID:	201633   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-482375546.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	613.2 KB
ID:	201634  

Name:	image-272107205.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	439.5 KB
ID:	201635  
Old 12-12-2013, 06:42 PM   #147
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
1960 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
El Paso , Texas
Hey Red
Looking good! It's gotta be a great feeling getting to being done.
Did you tape off the gas lines ends while they were down? If not you may have some junk or even a friendly spider make a home of you lp line.
I read somewhere here about that happening,
Just saying.
Mike
desertair27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:06 AM   #148
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
I did not tape off the ends... and I did have to clean some dirt dauber nests out of two lines (furnace and stove) and the first thing I thought of was crap in the line, but I blew air through the main line before I connected it back up, and I have all new line run from the main line to the water heater.
The issue I'm having is the main line won't supply enough gas to run more than one appliance... I'll still go back and check every line before I lay out the cash for the new regulator.

Have a slight change in plans for the weekend. Supposed to rain all weekend, so the project moves inside to finishing the bathroom vanity, sealing up the shower, and maybe laying a little tile.

Leaving shortly after Christmas for the beach. Brother and his family renting one of the cabins at the camp ground we're staying at... I get to be the cool uncle, shooting fireworks on the beach for New Years. My kids want to know why I wasn't the cool dad.

Got a LOT to do before the end of the year... stay tuned.

-Red
Old 12-13-2013, 04:58 PM   #149
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
I'm pretty sure this isn't your problem but I have seen a similar thing happen when first turning on a bottle. The empty lines act like a 'leak' and the valve on the bottle went into 'low flow mode'.

In my case, I had to allow everything to settle in for a few minutes and it would 'PING' as the valve fully opened. Then I could get full flow.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 05:35 PM   #150
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
I'll check that out. I found out if you turn the valve on too fast at first, the regulator locks down and doesn't let anything through... My BBQ grill taught me that one. I'll check everything a few times before I buy that new regulator. I'm so cheap, I'll probably try fixing this one first, if I determine it to be the problem.

Slow night tonight. I got the front rub rail installed and sealed. Starting to look a little more complete...

Re-did my punch list tonight. This thing never gets shorter.

Had dinner with my parents tonight. They keep their house right at 127 degrees... You can't actually boil water just sitting there, but you do get soft boiled eggs if you leave them sitting on the counter. One benefit, your coffee never gets cold.

Hoot owls just fired up. Technically Great Horned Owls, but they've always been Hoot owls around here. Scare the crap out if you when you walk through the woods. Sound like something evil laughing at you when they first start their hoot sequence. Yeah, we live in the sticks...

Ok, one more Corona and I'm calling it an evening. See y'all tomorrow.

-Red
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-4171622495.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	417.6 KB
ID:	201723  
Old 12-13-2013, 05:48 PM   #151
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Hey Vernon, I think you might have nailed this one. I disconnected everything, bled off all the pressure, reconnected and turned the valves on very slowly, and she's firing the water heater like a jet engine! Sweetness! Thanks!!!
Old 12-13-2013, 07:11 PM   #152
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Are you replacing the shocks with the axels? If so, where did you get them?
GAStreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:34 PM   #153
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Yes I am. I ordered them from Inland RV along with the axles. They have an axle sale going right now... I also ordered the centramatic balancers to go along with everything else.

-Red
Old 12-13-2013, 07:54 PM   #154
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Quote:
I'll check that out. I found out if you turn the valve on too fast at first, the regulator locks down and doesn't let anything through... My BBQ grill taught me that one. I'll check everything a few times before I buy that new regulator. I'm so cheap, I'll probably try fixing this one first, if I determine it to be the problem. Slow night tonight. I got the front rub rail installed and sealed. Starting to look a little more complete... Re-did my punch list tonight. This thing never gets shorter. Had dinner with my parents tonight. They keep their house right at 127 degrees... You can't actually boil water just sitting there, but you do get soft boiled eggs if you leave them sitting on the counter. One benefit, your coffee never gets cold. Hoot owls just fired up. Technically Great Horned Owls, but they've always been Hoot owls around here. Scare the crap out if you when you walk through the woods. Sound like something evil laughing at you when they first start their hoot sequence. Yeah, we live in the sticks... Ok, one more Corona and I'm calling it an evening. See y'all tomorrow. -Red
Your parents must keep the same environment as some of our more senior people in the family. I swear we could roast a half slab of beef on the living room rug in about an hour. Uffda.
Sandyy
ND10CentCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:26 PM   #155
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND10CentCan View Post
Your parents must keep the same environment as some of our more senior people in the family. I swear we could roast a half slab of beef on the living room rug in about an hour. Uffda.
Sandyy
My grand parent got 'free gas' off of the natural gas wells on their property. Christmas dinner would result in a George Hamilton tan.

Glad that you now have gas....
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 09:31 AM   #156
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Quote:
Yes I am. I ordered them from Inland RV along with the axles. They have an axle sale going right now... I also ordered the centramatic balancers to go along with everything else. -Red
What are centramatic balancers? Are they expensive? Are they hard to install? We got axles on today, but ignorant me didn't order shocks, so here I go to order those. I know most sane people are baking cookies or something this time of year.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:32 AM   #157
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Sorry not sparks, but shocks! There maybe sparks when I get finished though.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:29 PM   #158
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Hey GAStreamin',
Centramatics are a disc that mounts on your hub before the wheel goes on, so they're not hard to install, they are supposed to correct for any balance issues you may have, and they are 50 bucks a pop, so $200 for a four wheeled trailer. Never tried them before, guess it will be a 200 dollar experiment....
The company has a pretty convincing video on YouTube demontrating how they work.
-Red
Old 12-18-2013, 07:09 AM   #159
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Man, all the little things (rub rail, stabilizer jacks etc...), accompanied by very little daylight after work, along with all the activities that go along with the Christmas season, and I'm seriously bumping into my self imposed deadline of having her on the ground by Christmas... kind of have to have her on the ground if we are going to make our reservations for the beach. And, we have family that have also made reservations, at the same campground, so it's all or nothing, Sydney or the bush.

I have one piece of rub rail left to install, curbside rear. All the reflectors are back on the banana skins, and I hooked the umbilical up to the truck and checked all the lights. Amazingly, they all come on... I was kind of expecting to have stuck a rivet through a wire bundle somewhere.

So, tonight it's; One last stretch of rub rail, and stabilizer jacks.
Saturday will be axles, if everything goes right. Otherwise, it's axles in the dark and Christmas day...

Little story on the stabilizer jacks... Apparently, somebody, somewhere in the LoveStream's past decided to try and support the weight of the trailer on the stabilizers. The PO provided a spare he had bought, because he said "One" of the jacks was bent. I didn't pay that much attention when I removed the front ones from the trailer. The rears were already off... Only had "One" that WASN'T bent, and that was the replacement he had bought. Fortunately, I had enough parts I could straighten out, and took four to make three. That was an afternoon I hadn't planned into my time frame...

Oh yeah, another day was spent on the awning hardware. Upon preparing to install the awning arms, I found out I was missing the little studs that hold everything in place (four of them) and also that the arms provided were for 1989 and newer models. Yay... so, just to let you know, you CAN make the new arms for Zip Dee awnings work on the old trailers, if you don't mind doing a bit of cutting and bending. Got the arms up, and plan on installing the roller and fabric... ummmmm.... well, before I leave for the beach. Ordered the studs from Out Of Doors Mart (great service, odd name) and expect them in the mail today or tomorrow.

And lastly, as a note to Airstream Parts Vendors who are located way up north, or way out west, (and I'm not speaking of Out Of Doors Mart here, they're in North Carolina, and speak my language) when I call you up on the phone, don't mistake my southern drawl for lack of intelligence. I understand I speak slower than you do, that I use foreign to you words such as "yawntoo", "ahiight" and "Ireckonso", perhaps I don't enunciate my words as well as you, but, honestly, I'm a fairly bright guy... I went to college, have a very nice paying job, have travelled around the world once, can speak broken phrases of a few other languages, enough at least to order another beer and whatever meal I would like on three continents, I'm well respected in my community, have never been refused service for lack of shirt or shoes, have only been arrested once, and that was for a practical joke that went south fast, my family tree forks very well (imported my hot blonde wife from Michigan)... I just speak with a southern drawl. I pick up on when I'm being dismissed, ignored, and insulted. I just don't verbally tear you a new one on the phone because my mother taught me manners, having grown up in the south herself.

Or, maybe I'm just overly sensitive, and you have poor people skills...

Short story, after living in the south my whole life, my father moved us to Washington DC my senior year of high school (he was president/ceo of a computer maintenance company, that he sold at the age of 51 and retired as a fairly wealthy man)... Anyways, I didn't make friends for about two months, until I turned out a couple of nice pieces of art in class (yes, I can do magic with graphite. It's a gift...) and I started making friends. I asked a couple of them why they never spoke to me up to that point, and, true story, they said they heard the way I talked and thought I was mentally handicapped.

Yeah, yeah, none of this has to do with the LoveStream... thanks for putting up with me.

-Red
Old 12-18-2013, 08:37 AM   #160
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Red, Your last post hit a raw nerve. It"s sad how people are judged buy the way they look, act, or job they have. There's a saying ''Treat people the way you would like to be treated''. I do this at first. then treat them the way they treat me. I've been reading this forum for three years and from what I can see, everyone treats you like family...sometimes better than family. Keep on posting and enjoy the streamin family Gregg P.S. This is my first post while wearing blue jeans and tee shirt.
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote