Old 05-02-2013, 07:42 AM   #61
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Hey GAStreamin,

I was going to reply to you in one of your other threads, but read over what I had posted and it seemed like too much of a buzzkill post, so I deleted it, then saw you had posted here.

I only tore out the walls half way up, because that's all I need to remove to do what I had to do to the floor. I'm not going for a total refurb, because I WANT TO GO CAMPING IN THIS STUPID TRAILER one day.... Sorry, frustration coming out because of how slow the work has been going the past six months... stupid skateboard... mumble... murmer...

Anywhooo, the wall was built that way, so it made it real easy to drill the rivets and yank the lower panels. Might not even have done that, if I didn't need to get to the bolts that hold the frame to the body...

I got the interior walls clean with a spray bottle of bleach... no adverse effects as far as I can tell. I'll be painting them a nice beachy grayish blue anyways as things progress, but they were just SO moldy when I got the trailer that it was freaking people out when they'd walk in, and I didn't think painting over the mold would be such a great idea anyways. I was a little concerned the straight bleach might mess up whatever that is they covered the walls with, but it didn't seem to phase it...

Back to what I was going to post in my original response to your other thread, without the "Debbie Downer" attitude...

When I first started reading the refurb threads on here, and the advice guys were giving out to newbs, it almost made me decide to stick with my SOB trailer and not get the 'Stream. Some guys were acting like it was brain surgery crossed with rocket science to refurb a camper. To them, it was an undertaking only to be started AFTER you had acheived journeyman status in at least a dozen different disciplines, from sheet metal, to electrician, to plumber, etc. A general knowledge of all is good, but mastery of all isn't necessary...

And then there are guys who are more about rebuilding their trailer than they are about camping in it. They're at year five or six of their rebuild, and doing some awesome work... stuff so nice that I'd be screaming at anyone who got within 50 feet of my trailer after I put that kind of work into it. They enjoy the rebuild process, I enjoy the camping process... so I might not do things quite as fancy as some. It'll be serviceable, and look good to boot, but not as nice as what these guys are doing. I commend them on their work, and my second AS will probably go that route... a '74 just doesn't seem like the camper to put that kind of artistry into. Just my opinion.

All that to say, as you read on here, balance out what people say. Try to figure out their angle, or philosophy on refurb... a lot of this stuff is really straight forward simple repair work, but it can get difficult in areas.

My best advice to you would be, don't underestimate how much time, money, and effort will have to go into this refurb. I'm fairly well versed in most disciplines necessary for this refurb, thanks to the dad I have (that dude worked my butt off when I was a kid... seriously) except for in the cabinetry carpentry department, and I still get a little overwhelmed with this whole process, like when I first tore off my belly pan and realized just how much frame was going to have to be replaced... and flooring... and plumbing... and, it just went on and on...

But, if you understand that up front, it's really not that big of a project... ok, I just lied, it is a big project, but if you understand that, it's doable.

Any questions you have, feel free to ask. There are a lot of others on here I'd ask before you ask me, just because they're 3 to 4 trailers into this, have done full Monty's, and do much superior work to mine. If you want to get it done and get camping in a clean/dry/servicable/really cool AirStream, I'm happy to give you input...

Best to you. Post up pic's of the refurb....
-Red

Old 05-02-2013, 08:15 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Thanks Red! I never thought about things that way. I am definitely keep that in mind. Since, I am no carpenter, no plumber, no electrician,etc. I am not doing anything elaborate, but I do want to be thorough, even if I have to get help. I do have my dad and his big work garage. You have kept a good attitude and I think that is half the battle. I definitely want to be in the camping business not the refurbishment business. :-). I did notice you don't live that far, Just knowing help is not that far is peace of mind. I have this fear of getting in over my head and not getting it done. I have followed too many threads and blogs and they just stop and it is never completed I assume. Good Luck to finishing your project!!! I will be keeping up and reading your hilarious take on all this work.

GAStreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:58 AM   #63
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Just realized how long it had been since I've actually done anything to Bertha... Bought the aluminum for her under belly this week. Got sheets of 3003 4'X10' .032 thick for 36 bucks a sheet. Bought enough to do belly pan, side wraps, bathroom countertop (hope that works the way I have it in my head), and build an aluminum dog carrier to strap to the roof of my TV...

Got it from A.B.C. Supply here in Gainesville, FL. On Waldo Rd, if you're a local...

Tearing out the goucho's and removing front 9-10 feet of floor tonight (to just behind door, in front of edge of kitchen cabinet. Have to look and see where the nearest floor beam is... might have to resin a small piece of ply just inside the door if things don't line up right. Trying to get away with not removing the kitchen. Lazy, I know...

New post and pics tomorrow

-Red
Old 06-04-2013, 08:13 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Why did you have to do a new bellypan? What kind of rivets are you putting it back with? How do you plan on making new banana wraps and side wraps? Thanks. A lot of questions I know.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:10 AM   #65
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Previous owner/owners had cut up the belly pan to make "repairs", and I use the term very loosely, to a couple of problem areas. And the back 6 feet of belly pan was missing when I got the trailer, as the rear bedroom floor was gone... One of my early pictures sows the hole that was the bedroom floor.

My banana skins are in pretty good shape, just need a few dings smoothed out. To make the new side wraps, I still have the old ones for patterns. I'm replacing the side wraps because the edges are corroded pretty badly.

I bought the rivets to replace the belly pans last year, and will have to look at them to tell you what size they are. I know they're large head rivets, and that I got them from Vintage Traler Supply... can't remember the size. I'll try and remember to post that up for you tonight.

-Red
Old 06-04-2013, 02:46 PM   #66
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
I guess I'm in good company, I destroyed my left rotator cuff and am now recovering. I can finally lift my am up enough to type
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:50 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood View Post
I guess I'm in good company, I destroyed my left rotator cuff and am now recovering. I can finally lift my am up enough to type
You're still recovering? Haven't gone stir crazy yet? Haha!
Old 06-05-2013, 06:47 AM   #68
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood View Post
I had my surgery on Nov 2, 2012... am just getting back to where I can hold a drill out at arms length... as long as it's a light drill. For the longest time I couldn't lift my arm above shoulder height. Hope you recover quicker than I have.

Ok. got the couches pulled out. and started removing the trim around my stacks so I can pull the lower interior skins... the first one is stuck to something. Can't tell if a rivet has it, or some sealant or what... will dig into it further this evening. You can see the fancy repair a PO has done to Bertha just to the right of the door... it's not real obvious, but the duct tape on the floor is a dead give away. Look real close... you know, if you don't fix the leaks, the floor will rot right back out? Hmmmm, surprising.

GAStreamin, I got a picture of the belly pan rivets I'm going to use. Large head, can't remember the size. I bought these for the extra support of the bigger head, and the size because of something I read in a thread on here somewhere. Somebody else has posted what to use... I'll try and search it out later. I ordered these so long ago that I forgot where I got the ingormation from.

Will finish removing lower skins this evening.

-Red
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Goucho.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	495.9 KB
ID:	187460   Click image for larger version

Name:	Floor.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	543.4 KB
ID:	187461  

Name:	Rivet.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	534.3 KB
ID:	187462  
Old 06-05-2013, 07:25 AM   #69
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Kip, welcome to the club. How was the surgery? I imagine you are off work? Mine is still getting worse, even mowing the lawn kills. But so far, I can't even consider being "off-line" for a year like you and Red!
Old 06-05-2013, 07:45 AM   #70
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
The Saw Bones cut into me April 11. I am back to work with restrictions now. Basically can't life any weight with my left arm. I am hoping to get released back to flight status by the end of the month. I am exercising to that end. All I need to be able to do is reach the overhead Flight Engineers Panel.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:05 PM   #71
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Amazing. Thanks for the encouragement.

Sorry for derailing the thread!
Old 06-06-2013, 06:47 AM   #72
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
It's not so much offline, as it is "Reduced Service"... and this thread has been off the tracks for so long that there is no de-railing it.

Got the lowers pulled out. found a couple sources of leaks (yay), and, if this is a remnant of the original carpet that was in here, I believe I've purchased an AirStream originally owned by Austin Powers! Yeah Baby! Yeah!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	floor pile.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	546.5 KB
ID:	187540   Click image for larger version

Name:	carpet.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	745.1 KB
ID:	187541  

Old 11-05-2013, 08:31 AM   #73
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
After many starts and stops over the past year, I'm FINALLY back on track with the project... So much so that I made reservations at my favorite beachfront campground for New Years, which is also our 31st anniversary... Anyways, lots of work to accomplish in the next two months to get this thing even close to campable. Pictures as work progresses. Front floor coming out Wednesday.

Just realized I was going to tear out that front floor FIVE MONTHS AGO!!! Holy cow time flies... Seriously, it's coming out this Wednesday.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:47 PM   #74
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
...and the floor is OUT!!! Cutting and welding commencing...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1609271312.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	468.2 KB
ID:	199464  
Old 11-06-2013, 05:21 PM   #75
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Couple of pieces of metal in, couple more to go Friday. I'm beat and calling it a beer... I mean, a day.

In a big country
Dreams stay with you...

Got a little 80's radio Rollin' tonight.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2543781121.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	471.3 KB
ID:	199465   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2842899644.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	524.1 KB
ID:	199466  

Old 11-08-2013, 07:06 AM   #76
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Ordered the outriggers for the steps... was going to fabricate those myself, then thought, "I'd hate to be struggling with these stupid steps for the rest of my life because I wanted to save fifty bucks..." So, online to Outofdoorsmart.com, and they're on their way.

Can anybody provide me with a diagram or a picture of what my belly pan is supposed to look like around the holding tanks? The back end of the belly pan was already removed when I bought the trailer, and I'd like to get it close when I make my new one... rear bed, center bath. I found one on here for a rear bath, just can't find a center bath.

Thanks in advance!

-Red
Old 11-08-2013, 05:16 PM   #77
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
All the new metal on except the stair outriggers... Wire brushing and POR-15 tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-859829232.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	562.1 KB
ID:	199586  
Old 11-08-2013, 06:45 PM   #78
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
1960 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
El Paso , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panama Red View Post
Ordered the outriggers for the steps... was going to fabricate those myself, then thought, "I'd hate to be struggling with these stupid steps for the rest of my life because I wanted to save fifty bucks..." So, online to Outofdoorsmart.com, and they're on their way. Can anybody provide me with a diagram or a picture of what my belly pan is supposed to look like around the holding tanks? The back end of the belly pan was already removed when I bought the trailer, and I'd like to get it close when I make my new one... rear bed, center bath. I found one on here for a rear bath, just can't find a center bath. Thanks in advance! -Red
ill try and get you a picture of what I have.
desertair27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:06 PM   #79
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Thanks! I ordered the service manual from Airstream today, but I'm not sure if it will have what I need or not.... I hate waiting on stuff to come in. You know, something as simple as a manual can be made in a DOWNLOADABLE format, just in case Airstream wanders in here and reads my thread.

I'd still like the pictures if it's not too much trouble! Thanks a bunch!
-Red
Old 11-09-2013, 04:43 PM   #80
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Steel wire brushed. First coat of POR-15 on. New plywood cut and first coat of paint on ply... Man, I love this crap!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1049487020.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	566.0 KB
ID:	199641