Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Sovereign > 1974 - 1979 Sovereign
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-26-2018, 07:45 PM   #1
Highflier

1974 31' Sovereign
Sylvia , KS
New to me 31" Sovereign, the saga begins

We picked up our 1974 31' Sovereign this past spring at an estate sale. It had been sitting for a number of years, but it was in generally decent - although dirty - shape. There was an issue with the title, so I held off starting any work until this past week. Picture is of the trailer as it sat at the sale. The original owner was here in Kansas, the second lived here but kept the trailer in New Mexico for a number of years, so it has been in relatively dry climate much of its life.

The original owner had a '72 and this '74, evidently when they were sold the wrong title went with the wrong trailer. So the second owner never looked at the VIN, just got a new title and tag and used it for 20 years. I found the family of the original owner and they gladly obtained a replacement title and signed it over to me. Whew! BTW, I do have a title for a 29' 1972 model. If I can find it I guess I own that one too lol!

There was only a key to the deadbolt in the door. I ordered keys for the water and storage doors. All the storage door locks work fine, but I have been unable to get the water door key to turn. It inserts just fine. Question: Does it turn clockwise or counter to unlock? I've tried lube, no joy.

There was no couch in the front, I have done nothing as far as checking out any systems, the AC had been removed and the hole covered. The furnace was still installed, but was disconnected so assume it does not work. We've had two motor homes and two 5th wheel trailers in the past and rarely used the furnace, so may even remove it. It does have a catalytic heater installed.

I have pulled the carpet and inspected the floor underneath everything. There are some soft places in the front half of the trailer by the wall due to leaks at the floor level exterior band/trim. Some rivets have come loose and are missing on that band allowing rain water that runs down the side to enter right at floor level. First job is to fix and seal that area, then replace the front 3 flooring pieces.

I'll add more pictures as I go and certainly ask more questions. I read the forum almost daily, I have learned so much! Thanks for being there!

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180420_165432.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	455.8 KB
ID:	323796  
highflier450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 09:19 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Lincoln University , Pennsylvania
We are right there with you. Just bought one and have gutted (my wife went nuts pulling stuff out - much to my surprise.) Hope to have it all back together and ready to go by Friday.
Love to see some more pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Day 1 Trash Pile -2.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	355.7 KB
ID:	325414   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180918_192313.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	185.1 KB
ID:	325415  

andymeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 11:55 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1980 24' Caravelle
vallejo , California
ain't it fun owning a vintage AS? my 80 caravelle is about 90% done . just finish work now. good luck on your rebuild. kurt
ke6gkv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 04:47 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
Do yourself a favor... drop the belly skin and inspect the frame or at the very least, the banana wraps and see what is going on underneath. These models are prone to hidden leaks that rust out the frame in consequential locations. I know this from experience. Don't assume all is OK down there.

Sorry. I don't mean to be a downer, but if you read enough threads on frames and people having theirs crack or split while towing... you will understand.

With that said. ENJOY! I love all the heartache my trailer has given me. Oh, and loss of income, time and sanity.

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sovereign