Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Sovereign > 1974 - 1979 Sovereign
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-24-2018, 09:01 AM   #1
OliveRivets

1968 26' Overlander
1976 31' Sovereign
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Wake Forest , North Carolina
New the sovereign family

We purchased a 1976 International Sovereign 31' last night and love it!

I will post some more pictures soon.

Are there any "Sovereign specific" details we should keep an eye out for or that stand above other models?

Thanks,

OliveRivets
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7938.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	233.9 KB
ID:	311868  
OliveRivets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:36 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Congradulations

This is a good place to get answers to your questions.

I have a 75 Service Manual (not Owners Manual) send me a PM if you are interested.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:36 AM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Looks like a rear bed, nice find!

Keep an eye on the axles and make sure the frame is sound.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 06:02 PM   #4
OliveRivets

1968 26' Overlander
1976 31' Sovereign
1955 22' Flying Cloud

Name:	Snapseed.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	847.1 KB
ID:	323922

Love this!
Old 09-28-2018, 07:00 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
A mid bath Sovereign is a rare find. Congratulations. Mid bath is the most popular floor layout since the mid 80s.

I have a 75 Overlander 27' International rear bath. I have a friend who has a 75 Sovereign rear bath 31' International. Both of our trailers have rear end separation and some frame droop. Both trailers have rotted subfloor at the rear of the trailer. Both of our trailers have rock hard axles.

I have made the necessary repairs to my Overlander last winter. I will finish some renovation work and give my trailer a good polish this winter. I have quite a bit to do.

My friend has this work to do on his trailer also, with time.

Maybe you have done the "bumper bounce" test on your trailer? Stand on the rear bumper over one of the frame rails and bounce up and down like you were on a diving board. Watch for any gap between the body and frame open up, or frame motion downward without the body moving with it. If this is observed, quite likely the rear of the body is no longer bolted to the frame due to a rotted subfloor and rusty rear cross member. Do the bounce test on the other rear frame rail also. Longer trailers like ours are more subject to this condition than the shorter Airstreams.

Also probe your subfloor for soft spots, especially around the entry door and under the windows. Some seventies trailers have trouble with the melamine laminate coming unstuck and pealing away. My Overlander is pretty solid in this regard, but I have seen other trailers with delamination on the cabinetry.

Old vintage Airstreams are indeed a lot of fun, but they often involve some pretty big projects. You can learn all about it here on these Air Forums. Here is a photo of my Overlander. And a link to my project thread if you are interested in my troubles.

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1709 Colorado Springs Front (Small).JPG
Views:	88
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	323923   Click image for larger version

Name:	1709 As found gaucho front-800x600.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	323924  

WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 06:58 PM   #6
OliveRivets

1968 26' Overlander
1976 31' Sovereign
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
A mid bath Sovereign is a rare find. Congratulations. Mid bath is the most popular floor layout since the mid 80s.

I have a 75 Overlander 27' International rear bath. I have a friend who has a 75 Sovereign rear bath 31' International. Both of our trailers have rear end separation and some frame droop. Both trailers have rotted subfloor at the rear of the trailer. Both of our trailers have rock hard axles.

I have made the necessary repairs to my Overlander last winter. I will finish some renovation work and give my trailer a good polish this winter. I have quite a bit to do.

My friend has this work to do on his trailer also, with time.

Maybe you have done the "bumper bounce" test on your trailer? Stand on the rear bumper over one of the frame rails and bounce up and down like you were on a diving board. Watch for any gap between the body and frame open up, or frame motion downward without the body moving with it. If this is observed, quite likely the rear of the body is no longer bolted to the frame due to a rotted subfloor and rusty rear cross member. Do the bounce test on the other rear frame rail also. Longer trailers like ours are more subject to this condition than the shorter Airstreams.

Also probe your subfloor for soft spots, especially around the entry door and under the windows. Some seventies trailers have trouble with the melamine laminate coming unstuck and pealing away. My Overlander is pretty solid in this regard, but I have seen other trailers with delamination on the cabinetry.

Old vintage Airstreams are indeed a lot of fun, but they often involve some pretty big projects. You can learn all about it here on these Air Forums. Here is a photo of my Overlander. And a link to my project thread if you are interested in my troubles.

David

Welcome!! Looks awesome!!

Tags
sovereign