Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-12-2007, 04:40 AM   #21
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I am pretty sure we won't make Perry, even though it is almost in our back yard.
I am still trying to make chicken salad out of chicken droppings, if it doesn't work we can always sell the new trailer. Hmmm.... I must be getting old, calling a trailer that was built when Richard Nixon was exiting the white house "new"...
Old 05-12-2007, 08:29 AM   #22
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Nice find, looks a lot like my 73, only your exteriour is much nicer. The inside layout really seems to work well, the girls like the big powder room in the back. Best wishes DG

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 09:01 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Inverness , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteSpot
It looks like the real deal....and it appears to be in pretty fine shape....good luck and good fortune.....you all deserve it...pj

Ocala is a good spot to call home.40 miles to the gulf 80 to the Atlantic.good fishing and camping.cooler in the summer.not too many cold days in winter but best of all price is good.then you have more cash for mods and trips.
Old 05-12-2007, 07:05 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
The univolt works, "if all else fails, read the flipping owners manual that came with the trailer". Direct quote from Terry.

Fridge does not work. Freezer not even close to cold. I feel a trip to Bob's is in my future for a fridge, mattresses and see if any tambor doors are there.

I looked at foam mattresses's but for both beds the cost is way out of line for 8 inch and my tender behind, (yeah right) would not like 4 inch foam. So Bobs place here we come. Last time we were there they had brand new Coach mattresses's for either 79 or 89 dollars. Watch, they will go up before we get there.

Scott was here and got the antenae back down and pulled up the old carpet for us and even picked up the nails in the driveway.

Sold both desk top computers today and the young couple from yesterday came and picked up the big screen tv and the bedroom set. My son asked what we were going to sleep on and we both looked at him and said, "we have 2 airstreams, no problem". But we have the futon and Terry still has trouble lying down because of the broken transverse processes in his lumbar spine and is more comfortable in the recliner.

Will start cleaning Monday and make a trip to Bob's a week from monday. Can't go next weekend because the big going out of business sale is Fri, Sat, and Sun. Tue, Thur and Sat he has Massage Therapy and Physical therapy, so we save our pennies and go next week.

Stay tuned for the further adventures of Us.

Marie
Old 05-13-2007, 05:27 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Good morning,

We have ordered the curtains from Silver Threads, in a cream colored fabric. She found what I wanted right off the bat. Thanks Tammy. The inside of Alumalodge is kinda dark, so this will help lighten it up.

Also the gaucho is pretty icky. It is the original one. any suggestions on recovering or replacing? The foam seems out of shape and lopsided, and my mother woulda loved the fabric. Kinda reminds me of her sofa when I was a bit younger. Gotta go away!!

Well, the crew of people who did not run will be here shortly for the garage cleaning and sorting party. God help us and pray for me, we are attacking Terry's garage.

Marie

Oh by the way, happy mothers day to all mom's in alumaland.
Old 05-13-2007, 05:33 AM   #26
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd90mac
The inside of Alumalodge is kinda dark, so this will help lighten it up.

The foam seems out of shape and lopsided, and my mother woulda loved the fabric.
We desided on the above name, if it aggravates us too much we can delete the "d" and "e"...
The cushion on the goucho and I seem to have something in common...
Old 05-13-2007, 05:40 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Yeah, Terry and Scott were saying silver turd, alumalog etc. Can ya guess why I vetoed those?

Marie
Old 05-13-2007, 05:43 AM   #28
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd90mac
Yeah, Terry and Scott were saying silver turd, alumalog etc. Can ya guess why I vetoed those?

Marie
Uhhh, it was "tin turd", based on the current odor from the 2 year old black tank contents.
We'll be fixing that as soon as we get a license plate on it, maybe as soon as tomorrow. Some of the neighbors have been sighted wearing gas masks while on their morning and evening walks past our newest acquisition.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:04 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Good afternoon all,

I started cleaning today and got as far as the kitchen.

The bathroom wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, and now sparkles.

I figured out how to clean tambor doors. A soft toothbrush and 409 sprayed on and scrubbed off. Kitchen took 4 hours. Yeah, guess I am picky. The cooktop, when I lifted the lid had 33 years of acumulated cooking grime. I sprayed it, make that hosed it down, with purple stuff and let it set for 1 hour, and a goodly portion of the grime came off. I had to stop and go get brillo pads because some one threw out the ones I had in the garage cleaning frenzy yesterday.

Oh by the way, yes the orange carpet is still in the closets, and very grimy. Soon to be less grimy.

More storage space was pointed out by Terry under the bunks so that will really help. Yep, cleaned that area too. Terry had to go in and do something to the floors, so I had to vacate so will finish tomorow.

My guess is the coach weighs about 100 pounds less with the dirt and grime gone. I even took Q tips and cleaned all of the tracks and the tambors slide easier.

Stay tuned for part 2 of cleaning.

Marie
Old 05-14-2007, 03:36 PM   #30
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Now for my part in this dog and pony show...

When we (the royal we, as I had nothing to do with it) removed the carpeting, I found some soft spots on the curbside from the entry door to the gaucho, from the wall to about an inch out from the wall, just in spots. I went to Boater's World (closest place that carries it) and asked for a can of Rot Doctor. The guy working there informed me there was no such thing. Really? I've gotten it here before. Had to explain what it was, and what it did. He told me it would be great of someone would invent it, but it didn't exist. By this time we were in the paint department (remember, I am having to limp back there with a cane, since there is no such thing), and I reached down, and picked up a container of the stuff.
Hmmm, why don't you sell me this stuff, and I'll use it until they invent it...
Then it rang up the wrong price, and he had to give me 110% of the overcharge. It wasn't turing out to be his day.
Now, back to the story. The instructions say to drill 1/4" holes into the wood, mix the Rot Doctor, and pour it into the holes. I did this, again and again, till it was all gone. I'll finish leveling the area with some fiberglass resin I had earmarked for Moose's roof repair (sorry, big guy). If it make the truck feel better, I got a new pair of taillights, that I will install when it stops raining. And yes, I am following doctor's, (and physical therapist's, and massage therapist's, and Marie's) orders, and doing small stuff. I sat on the door sill, and scooted inside to take care of the floor, starting furthest away from the door, and moving out.
Here is a couple of photos of the Rot Doctor at work. Next is fiberglass resin, and carpeting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 141.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	37331   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 142.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	37332  

Old 05-14-2007, 04:28 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Moving right along! Max and I poke around so much cussing and discussing that it takes us forever to get something really done (ie: droopy ceiling fixed) that we are really in your dust! Congrats, but I winced at the description of you scooting along the floor to do the repair-yikes! Take time; take care ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 04:50 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1967 20' Globetrotter
Sauquoit , New York
You two are something. More power to you. Go slow ..please. Just keep going. Thanks for sharing the Rot Doctor and the fiberglass resin. New to us.
Aria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 05:41 PM   #33
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
For those who don't know (like my friend at Boater's World), Rot Doctor is a 2 part epoxy resin that, when the surface of a dry rotted piece of wood is properly prepped, will flow through, into and around the fibers of the wood, strengthening the damaged area, and (hopefully) stopping the rot. It is best used with a pre-treat of chlorine bleach, which starts killing the rot bacteria, and is continued through allowing the Rot Doctor to dry (cure), and then adding some fiberglass resin to level the floor. The repair is almost indestructible. Unless, of course, you drop a piano on it...
Old 05-14-2007, 05:58 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
The repair is almost indestructible. Unless, of course, you drop a piano on it...
Oops, forgot to tell him I sold the piano to the neighbor.

Marie
Old 05-14-2007, 06:09 PM   #35
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Also, I ordered a new fridge for Bertha today, I'll let you know how that part of our ordeal goes when it arrives.
We're still trying to decide on a name for our new trailer, "Queen Mary" seems to be taken, and my nomination of "Tin Turd" was shot down almost before the words left my mouth. Maybe "Tin Twinkie" or "Alumilodge". The latter kind of tangles my tongue, and comes out "Alumilog". The name "Goliath" is going with our Overlander when it is "hopefully" picked up this weekend. How about "Alumisub"?
It survived its first severe thunderstorm today, with no leaks, so that name may work. If it had leaked, we could have named it "Titanic"
Old 05-14-2007, 06:25 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Just read through to catch up. What an adventure the two of you have begun! Terry, I'm amazed at you. Knowing what your type of fractures look like fresh, I can't believe less than 6 months out you are as mobile as it sounds. I know you feel pain, but you must have a mind of steel. For heaven's sake, be careful, STAY OFF THE ROOF! Put the ladder down, back away slowly. . . .
Quote:
. . . How about "Alumisub"? It survived its first severe thunderstorm today, with no leaks, so that name may work. If it had leaked, we could have named it "Titanic"
Cute!
Old 05-14-2007, 07:13 PM   #37
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The roof? I need a ladder to get in the door!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarfoot
Just read through to catch up. What an adventure the two of you have begun! Terry, I'm amazed at you. Knowing what your type of fractures look like fresh, I can't believe less than 6 months out you are as mobile as it sounds. I know you feel pain, but you must have a mind of steel. For heaven's sake, be careful, STAY OFF THE ROOF! Put the ladder down, back away slowly. . . .

Cute!
I don't have to climb the roof to need a ladder. Here's a photo I took this evening. Note the hood of Marie's car will fit entirely under the front of the trailer. And this is flat level Florida!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 140.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	37358  
Old 05-14-2007, 07:20 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Quote:
I don't have to climb the roof to need a ladder. Here's a photo I took this evening. Note the hood of Marie's car will fit entirely under the front of the trailer. And this is flat level Florida!
That gives a whole new meaning to "all jacked up".
Old 05-14-2007, 07:43 PM   #39
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Even though it's going to be a while (months) before we start full-timing, I am planning to start a blog-like thread here on the forums called "Come Camp With Us". In the thread, we will let y'all know where we will be, and when, as well as reservation information and things to do and see in the area. Our hope is to get more people, whether WBCCI or Forums, to come out and have an enjoyable time with us. Sort of like paid courtesy parking.
I think it will be fun letting people on the forums know we will be in their area, and maybe we could organize mini rallies every weekend. I don't know of anyone else that has really done this, Rich Luhr has let people know where he is at, but I think this may be going a step further.
Any thoughts on this? Good idea? Bad idea?
Old 05-14-2007, 07:56 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Even though it's going to be a while (months) before we start full-timing, I am planning to start a blog-like thread here on the forums called "Come Camp With Us". In the thread, we will let y'all know where we will be, and when, as well as reservation information and things to do and see in the area. Our hope is to get more people, whether WBCCI or Forums, to come out and have an enjoyable time with us. Sort of like paid courtesy parking.
I think it will be fun letting people on the forums know we will be in their area, and maybe we could organize mini rallies every weekend. I don't know of anyone else that has really done this, Rich Luhr has let people know where he is at, but I think this may be going a step further.
Any thoughts on this? Good idea? Bad idea?
Terry,

I think that you have a great idea. Can't wait for you and Marie to make it to Calif.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1974 sovereign, travel