Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Sovereign > 1974 - 1979 Sovereign
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-15-2019, 09:41 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Conifer , Colorado
Freshwater System Question

So - after having purchased our 31' Sovereign International 10 or so years ago, just now getting it roadworthy for an upcoming trip. Have replaced axles, tires, brake actuator, many many little 'fiddly bits', and am now working on the water & drain systems.

Filled the freshwater tank today and then tried to pump using the 12v pump. The pump runs, but produces no water from the faucets. Is there a shut-off valve somewhere (mine is center-bath if that matters.) that needs to be opened to pull from the tank, and if so, where? Does my pump need to be primed? Perhaps faulty? Probably worth mentioning that we can hook up to 'city water' and get water from the faucets.

Secondly, is there also a drain for the freshwater tank somewhere?

Thanks!
TUselton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 11:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
TUselton, can't help with the locations requested but yes, prime the pump, tighten the strainer top and connections (if you have one) and pump supply side connections. Open the faucets and let the pump run and run and run... Likely will take more that a few minutes. 10 years old, I would also replace the rubber washers in the connections.

Maybe disconnect the pump in-flo and blow into it. I use a small cestion of hose and and a male adapter when winterizing to blow all Pre Pump H20 back into the tank. Depending on distance to the tank (I would think nearby) you should hear the blow back air bubbling, an indication that at least the tank has water and the supply line from the tank to the pump intake inside the tank is intact.

last idea...after 10 years the pump impeller is dry and shot. Time for a new pump. Probably time anyway.

CW operational is academic...i't under it's own pressure though at least confirms distribution is intact.

b
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 06:01 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Conifer , Colorado
Solved

Pump is bad. I had ordered/received a new one a while back...just in case.
TUselton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 06:18 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUselton View Post
Pump is bad. I had ordered/received a new one a while back...just in case.
Ya can't have too many spare parts. Congratulations!

FWIW you may want buy a handful of connector washers and visit each twist connection. Also a good time to snug thing up for the new water pressure.
B
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 06:54 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
While you are installing the new pump, it is good time to install the RV antifreeze winterize kit on the pump inlet.
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 07:31 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hello fellow vintage Airstreamer from Conifer. There are several of us in this area. Airstream was good at providing a drain for the fresh water tank. Sometimes the drain valve is shot so when opening it, it breaks causing another project.

I think the water pump in your trailer is a Pell belt drive "crankshaft" pump. Runs like an old Briggs lawnmower engine. These are neat old pumps that last a long time. It might be the piston seals are dried out from sitting for a long time. The new pump should get your water system pressurized again.

It will take a while to recommission your Sovereign for your trip. My Conifer friend and I are going to do some significant repairs to his 76 Sovereign next winter. I have a 75 Overlander 27' that I'm actually getting close to finishing this summer. I enjoy working on these old Airstreams. Crazy I know.

Maybe we can meet up someday.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1709 Colorado Springs Awnings (Small).JPG
Views:	44
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	343572  
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote