Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Sovereign > 1984 - 1989 Sovereign
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-16-2004, 07:53 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Talking Just bought 25' '87 Sovereign

Well, we just bought an 87 Sovereign, a 25 footer.

This is our first Airstream. We're moving up from a Coleman tent trailer. Plan to retire within a year or so and take some extended road trips.

The Sovereign has twin rear beds, no dinette, center bath, awning on entry side only, and it's just IMMACULATE. These folks were really anal. Everything is original and most of it looks like it was very rarely used. We bought it from a guy who only owned it for a year and he (says he) bought it from the original owner. Compared to others of this age we've looked at we were really impressed with this trailer.

We probably paid too much, but sometimes you gotta go with your gut. Between the time we called him and the time we got to his place he'd taken another 6 or 8 calls on the trailer so we knew we had to make up our minds quick.

We'll take out the carpet and put in bamboo flooring or maybe Pergo, but otherwise probably just use it as is. The wife wants to re-upholster the sofa but I kinda like it's "datedness".

We pick it up tomorrow afternoon. I'll post some pictures soon afterward.

Any comments or advice would be appreciated.
bbrackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 08:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Welcome to the forum.

As the owner of a 25' Sovereign myself, I can say there is a lot to like about them. There are threads on these forums about both Pergo - style floors and bamboo, as well as sheet vinyl, cork.... We put in a laminate (Pergo type) floor and were once again noticing this weekend just how much stuff gets tracked into our coach. It used to just hide in the carpet.

A reupholster is not necessarily a dead loss. First, the foam in your '87 has lost much of its bounce. Replacement with good quality foam will make the couch a much more relaxing, inviting place. Secondly, even with the best of care, 17 year old fabric will start to come apart at the seams.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 09:50 AM   #3

1987 25' Sovereign
Gainesville , Florida
87 Sovereign

I also just bought a 1987 Sovereign. It sound a lot like the one bbrackman bought. I think the twin mattresses are a little thin and I can feel the coils so I plan to look for some new ones. Any ideas anyone.
dhender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 12:37 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Custom Mattresses

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhender
I also just bought a 1987 Sovereign. It sound a lot like the one bbrackman bought. I think the twin mattresses are a little thin and I can feel the coils so I plan to look for some new ones. Any ideas anyone.
I'm very lucky to reside in Virginia Beach, VA. We have "The Original Mattress Factory" where they literally make each mattress for the customer. They make two sided mattresses (with padding on both sides so they can ACTUALLY be turned). With twins you just flip left mattress to right bed and vice versa. You can't buy as good a mattress off the shelf, and even with a slight up charge for curved ends it's still a stone bargain.
The manager told me to flip mine end to end as well as flipping it over (22 CCD - front bed)... I'll tell you in that confined space, it's easier to flip ME on the bed, so this month I'll be sleeping with my head facing curbside.

Look in your area for someone who makes mattresses. Whether you choose innerspring or foam, you won't be sorry you upgraded. Of course if weight is your primary concern you could look choose an inflatable.

Tin Lizzie
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 12:44 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Welcome to the forums. I don't think you ever over pay for the trailer you want. I wish you many years of happy and safe camping.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:32 AM   #6
WBCCI 11067 WDCU

1986 25' Sovereign
Atlanta , Georgia
Congratulations

I have a 1986 Sovereign and absolutely love it. My prior owners were also very good to the trailer, but there has still been a lot of work. Doesn't matter it is worth every minute. By far this is the best airstream I have owned (1978, 1979 and 2004).
2007 Chevy Silverado 1500
2007 Toyota Land Cruiser
ckeysor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 08:35 AM   #7
WBCCI 11067 WDCU

1986 25' Sovereign
Atlanta , Georgia
Ps

I also re-upholstered the front couch. On the floor, we put in carpet tiles. They are reasonably light, easy to install (a lot of cutting, but your will have to do that with any type of flooring), replaceable and most important with the rubber backing instead of foam they are very easy to keep clean.

You can buy them inexpensively on-line through some of the remanent shops in Dalton, GA.
2007 Chevy Silverado 1500
2007 Toyota Land Cruiser
ckeysor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:21 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Punta Gorda , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhender View Post
Hi
I have one and we replaced the mattress with inflatable air like the select comfort but built for curved airtreams "Bear Beds"
erikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:20 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Congrates on your new 87 stream. My first trailer was an 87 Sovereign. Seems AS in that time period were well made and classy.
For added mattress comfort on my 2010 we velcro(ed) one of those roll up mattresses, that hikers use on the ground, under each AS mattress. Wow, a big difference. It's like heaven, man!
Old 12-01-2011, 06:31 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Congratulations!

The really clean 25's from late 80's and early 90's don't stay on market long, so glad you found a good one... We bought ours 8 years ago, and within a year needed to address the pink and muave color schemes to maintain harmony.. We decided against trying to floor ourselves, and were unsuccessful finding flooring company eager to make that many cuts for so few square feet of flooring, so a carpet remnant (16'x12') was the solution, with an apprentice installer referred by his partner..

The couch isn't so tough if you disassemble and remove in pieces, and auto or other upholstery places can do great job with new foam (rememeber someone might sleep on it one day..) and fabrics aren't very expensive..

We have rear "queen" which is apparently an inch or two wider than a twin, and found that 2" memory foam mattress topper for less than $75 was good option to make bed more comfortable...

Mini blinds that fit existing mounts can be ordered in precise sizes and a wide range of colors from Home Depot, and Ambruso (JPA) is leading source of replacement curtains if you decide to do full Monty...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:17 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Condoluminum, I guess you did not notice this thread was started in 2004. That is 8 years ago. By this time they are old timers at Airstreaming or moved on. I did not notice it either for a while.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:25 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
Condoluminum, I guess you did not notice this thread was started in 2004. That is 8 years ago. By this time they are old timers at Airstreaming or moved on. I did not notice it either for a while.

I got duped too.. I never seem to learn.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:00 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
We have an 87 25' with twin beds. We bought an 8" king size memory foam matteres from Wal-Mart, Removed the cover and used the board from the top of the bunk as a templet and with a very sharp knife cut out two matteress. Then we had Tin Can Interiors recover them for us
msmcv51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:40 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Punta Gorda , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhender View Post
Since my wife and I have bad backs and have select comfort mattresses at home we went for the BEAR BED;s which are similar and are cut to fit for the Airstream
We also have an 87 Sovereign & have used it for many many years. Would not trade for a new one on a bet
Old 05-25-2013, 12:14 AM   #15

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Madison , Mississippi
Well TODAY I became the proud (gulp) owner of an 87 25 ft sovereign! I think it's in great shape kept u der cover and just one small dent on outside. Blinds need replacing. Couch is butt ugly but original., just trying to decide whether to keep it all original or change it up? I guess I better learn how to back up and get hitched up properly before I worry about fabric! Any advice or comments ? My son is sleeping in it tonight outin the yard. Haha

One thing, this is Mississippi and its sooo hot. I'm gonna need to have Ac at ball games and track meets when I don't have plug in ( for day trips ) , I understand a generator will work for that? What size and Honda vs Yamaha?

Please advise.
Staceytlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 02:28 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Congratulations on your purchase! Welcome to the forum. Maybe we'll cross paths on the road somewhere. We have camped at Timberlake on Ross Barnett before. Good to see some Mississippi folk on here.
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:33 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Punta Gorda , Florida
You will love it, built liske a tank and I would not trade ours for a new one-EVER..Do yourself a favor and have a Hensley Arrow hitch installed and forget about towing (google them and watch the video)
Pay attention to the tires: have had several new ones fail (different brands) and it isn't pretty when a tread peels off and wipes out the whole side of tour AS
Another good tip is to install the LED tail and stop lights from Dan Brown @ LED4RV
They go in easy and make a big difference especially when you get a gully washer on I-10 or !-55!!
Good Luck
Old 05-26-2013, 06:36 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
You can run the air with two Honda 2000i generators hooked together. Don't know about the Yamaha. I had a 1986 Sovereign & updated all the flooring, curtains & couch fabric. It was really nice inside & it was made to my taste. There really isn't a reason to keep it original IMHO. I used an Equalizer hitch with load distribution bars & a sway control bar. Never had a problem towing.

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:25 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
Since the thread is 7 years old, where is bbrackman? Hope they are still enjoying the Airstream life. We are!

Bought our 1985 25' Sovereign in Sept 09, still loving it! Did all the normal things as said by previous posts, floor, fantastic fans, couch covering, china toilet, tires, batteries. What is not to love about Airstreaming. We have in the last 3.5 years the nicest and most wonderful people with Airstreams. We joined the Airforums and the local WBCCI club and have no regrets at all re: the Airstream or the clubs.

Lets keep this thread going for maybe another 7 years!

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:58 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
We got our 87 25' Sovereign in 2010. Along with all the fabric, flooring, counter top and appliances, we did a new AC unit. With the new AC it blows the hot air down the refridgerator roof vent, because the old AC blows out the back and the new one blows out the sides right at the fridge vent. We had to install a deflector That you can make or get through Airstream.
msmcv51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sovereign