Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2011, 07:38 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
What To Do With '78 Sovereign?

I've been on the hunt for a solid vintage trailer to be gutted and refitted to be used as an advertising/marketing tool for use in the healthcare industry. After several trips, poking, looking high and low...we are the owners of a "78" Excella Sovereign. This trailer has seen little use and is in excellent condition inside and out...thats the dilemma. I almost hate to refit this trailer as the interior is in great condition for it's age. Original carpet was removed but floor is solid. Not sure of floor condition underneath the front credenza. For some reason the toilet has been relocated to the front of the trailer. Outside skin is spotless. Will keep you posted on our decision and provide pictures of the restoration/refitting...

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Curbside.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	393.0 KB
ID:	147884   Click image for larger version

Name:	Streetside.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	322.1 KB
ID:	147885  

Name:	Galley.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	327.3 KB
ID:	147886   Click image for larger version

Name:	Inside Front.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	287.3 KB
ID:	147887  

Name:	Mid Bunk.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	278.7 KB
ID:	147888  
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:44 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
Looks great!
I'm not sure if you have gutted any of your other trailers, but my Safari's interior was in pretty good shape, but I don't regret for a second getting rid of all of it. As it came out I realized how cheap it felt and how poorly constructed it all was.
I now look at the open floor plan and have a ton of ideas that I could have never considered.... Just my thoughts.
Eric H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 08:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
Hi Eric...yes I have gutted one other Airstream...our "78" Ambassador. This Sovereign is also a "78" and I'm amazed at the difference in the appearance and quality of the "fake" wood. Of course it could be the fact that it was not used that much...or because it is an Excella model. I have also not seen the light wood before either. Perhaps this is also because it is an Excella. While I didn't mind gutting the Ambassador...this one has me thinking.

Bob
Old 12-30-2011, 08:13 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
Hard decision I'm sure... But a good one to have to make!
Eric H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 08:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Is the toilet on a flange? Or is it just sitting there?
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 08:49 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
Splitrock...that's what I was wondering when I first went into the Sovereign. It is missing the gaucho and midbunk...not sure why. And for some odd reason the toilet is sitting in the front living area...not plumbed in. The flange is still in the bathroom and one can look directly into the black tank. More mysteries abound!

Bob
Old 12-30-2011, 09:41 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
My toilet is sitting in the AS living room
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 08:00 AM   #8
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
I've been on the hunt for a solid vintage trailer to be gutted and refitted to be used as an advertising/marketing tool for use in the healthcare industry. After several trips, poking, looking high and low...we are the owners of a "78" Excella Sovereign. This trailer has seen little use and is in excellent condition inside and out...thats the dilemma. I almost hate to refit this trailer as the interior is in great condition for it's age. Original carpet was removed but floor is solid. Not sure of floor condition underneath the front credenza. For some reason the toilet has been relocated to the front of the trailer. Outside skin is spotless. Will keep you posted on our decision and provide pictures of the restoration/refitting...

Bob
That is my favourite interior "wood" colour of all the finishes that were used over all the years. In your place, I would certainly not change it out, I find it gorgeous. You even have the matching refer door panels, which to my knowledge,were only available by buying this trailer model.

Not sure I would install the toilet in the lounge area, though. While it's convenient, I would miss the privacy...
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 08:30 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Ocean View , Delaware
We have one almost like yours--how we learned to love the 80s

We have an 80 Excella, 31ft, mid twins with the same finish that yours has. It was built in June, 1979. When we first got the trailer my plan, like yours, was to pretty much redo everything inside. I hadn't decided whether I wanted to go with the CCD aluminum interior look or a retro kitschy theme. Then life intervened and we were pretty much unable to do anything to her for 8 months.

I spent a fair amount of time in her, just looking around, frustrated at having to bide my time. But during that time I came to really like the light "faux" wood bulkheads, cabinets, lockers and refrigerator front. I actually started to like the beige/white vinyl walls and yellow toned bathroom fixtures. And the crazy floral vinyl in the bathroom started to look like funky fun.

So what we ended up doing is replaced the carpeting with terrazo laminate in all except the bathroom, reupholstered the gaucho in a nice colorful stripe, took down the heavily pleated curtains and replaced them with 1.5inch wooden venetian blinds and bought updated linens for the beds.

It's light, airy and really nice inside. We LOVE it and so does almost everyone who has seen her. Even folks who say they usually don't like the late 70s/early 80s interiors.

We've decided to call her Patience. By being forced to be patient we gained perspective and ended up with a trailer we love that took no major redo. It's an all original interior with new soft furnishings and window treatments.

So, you may just want to keep your interior. In our opinion it looks just fine. Well, except for the toilet in the living room....

Sue
Disneysue925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:24 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
All...thanks for your thoughts and perspective. Whatever we decide...the toilet will not be in the living room...

Bob

Tags
sovereign