Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Sovereign > 1974 - 1979 Sovereign
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-28-2010, 09:25 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Austin , Texas
need someone with a center bath

trying to identify the original plumbing layout for how the water pump was attached to the water line as well as where blow off valves were located in this area. Pics would be great. I've got a bit of a mess and the service manual isn't much help.
adwriter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by adwriter73 View Post
trying to identify the original plumbing layout for how the water pump was attached to the water line as well as where blow off valves were located in this area. Pics would be great. I've got a bit of a mess and the service manual isn't much help.
'78 Sovereign Center Bath Driver Side Wheel Well (under closet false floor).

Note the globe body (red "wheel" handle) drain valve burried in "the hole" to the right of the picture.

Below is another shot of the city water inlet line (copper line just to the left of the 1 1/2" tank fill line). This is a shot prior to the water pump being installed. The red rubber hose is attached to the Potable Tank suction (right and down) in the picture below.

Another shot prior to the water pump installation below. Note the copper line from the pop off valve just to the right of the regulator. The red rubber hose in the second and third pictures was a temporary line installed by the PO and is now removed.

PM me if you need further explanation of the flow process.

Just read your blog - good job.

"Do it right the first time."

I, also, picked up a bunch of interior items at Ikea.

If your trailer is towable by December come on down to Blanco on the 10th and 11th - Eighth Annual Blanco Christmas Rally - Dec. 10, 11, 12, 2010 - we could compare notes. As of today there are about a half a dozen reservations left at the Blanco State Park for the rally.

Don't forget the Texas State Vintage Rally is about 40 miles West of Fort Worth next year... that will be a "don't miss" rally for you.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:46 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Tremendously helpful!! Glad I saw this before I went any further with my guesses as I had it wrong.

Couple of questions:

1. Looks like you attached the water pump hose to the connection (capped in the pic) next to the pop-off valve, is that correct?

2. I apparently am missing all the entire pop-off valve assembly. What is the purpose of this? Where does the line go under the floor? Is this an Airstream part or can I get it at any plumbing supply store?

P.S. Thanks for the tip on the rally. My goal (an ambitious one) is to have my trailer ready to roll by mid November.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:52 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Hi Kyle

Do you have this drain valve in this location?

Click image for larger version

Name:	DRAIN VALVE.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	111939

If you do, then you should be safe putting the pump line in the same location as shown by 87MH.

Gary
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:03 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
1. Looks like you attached the water pump hose to the connection (capped in the pic) next to the pop-off valve, is that correct?
Correct - that is the "Pump Discharge" connection point - the "black hose" in the lower right corner is the suction line coming from the FW tank. There should be a check valve back by the "city water inlet" by the driver side bumper. That check valve prevents water from discharging from the CW inlet when you pressurize the system with the pump and are not hooked up to Cith Water.

Quote:
2. I apparently am missing all the entire pop-off valve assembly. What is the purpose of this? Where does the line go under the floor? Is this an Airstream part or can I get it at any plumbing supply store?

Its function is to prevent over pressure to the faucets and water heater. The pop off assembly is generic and just about any big box DIY store has them. The "popoff" discharge simply discharges underneath the trailer - very similar to the pop off on the water heater.

Quote:
P.S. Thanks for the tip on the rally. My goal (an ambitious one) is to have my trailer ready to roll by mid November.
I suspect there will be a couple of units "shell camping" - Blanco SP has fairly comfortable and clean shower houses - it is a small park, if you are serious about coming I suggest reserving a spot for the weekend - usually there are people here on the Forum looking for a spot at the last minute. Besides, if you contact the SP a day or so prior and cancel the penalty is very minor.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:12 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitrock View Post
Hi Kyle

Do you have this drain valve in this location?

Attachment 111939

If you do, then you should be safe putting the pump line in the same location as shown by 87MH.

Gary
I do. I have the exact same setup.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:14 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87MH View Post
Correct - that is the "Pump Discharge" connection point - the "black hose" in the lower right corner is the suction line coming from the FW tank. There should be a check valve back by the "city water inlet" by the driver side bumper. That check valve prevents water from discharging from the CW inlet when you pressurize the system with the pump and are not hooked up to Cith Water.

Its function is to prevent over pressure to the faucets and water heater. The pop off assembly is generic and just about any big box DIY store has them. The "popoff" discharge simply discharges underneath the trailer - very similar to the pop off on the water heater.

I suspect there will be a couple of units "shell camping" - Blanco SP has fairly comfortable and clean shower houses - it is a small park, if you are serious about coming I suggest reserving a spot for the weekend - usually there are people here on the Forum looking for a spot at the last minute. Besides, if you contact the SP a day or so prior and cancel the penalty is very minor.

I greatly appreciate the help. Going over to work on the 'Stream right now. I may have more questions after I look at everything we've talking about here.