Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2012, 06:22 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Murfreesboro , Tennessee
I need advice!!!

hello i just bought a 1978 sovereign as. it is in excellent shape, but i am not happy with the floor plan. I am planning on doing a complete restoration on it (moving bathroom, replacing walls, floors, wiring, pluming, and everything else). I am very eager to get started on my project, but have been told that before i do i should live in the AS so i can make sure i like the travel trailer lifestyle. I would live in it full time because i work on the road and only go home on some weekends. So my question is should i live in it before i dump tons of money into it and start my restoration or just go for it and not try the life on the road for a little while?? thanks for any replies!! if you have any good links to forums on the projects i listed above please post links

THanks Mark
tlynn87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I would most certainly live in it as it now is for a while prior to a gut and renovate job. You may find that it works for you pretty well as is. If you don't then you can decide how you would like it set up, based on some experience, not on a theoretical floor plan.

Also, remember that although I guess most anything can be moved, things like the current water heater location has a large hole cut in the wall. The refrigerator access door is the vent for the refrigerator, and there is another on the roof. If moved, those are things that have to be patched. The wheel wells are something which may not be moved at all, and can intrude on your floor plan. The various tanks and their locations make some of the planning for moves very difficult, from the plumbing standpoint. Windows and the door are fixed items too, and have to be carefully accounted for. Weight distribution is another issue to consider.

A lot of people have started a "gut and renovate" project and found it was simply overwhelming, either from the amount of work, the time involved, or the costs. Then a gutted AS comes on the market.

Live in it for a while....
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
You have been excellent advice

Live in this one as it is for a time....find out what you really like about it and what you don't like.....we were advised that if we didn't like the floor plan to sell it and buy one with a floor plan that you want......it is incredibly expensive to gut and rebuild a trailer as is without a floor plan change.....the windows and vents, etc. are placed in position for what is going on inside......but, if you have time and money to burn, go ahead and rip it out and do it to it.

We wanted a double bed but bought a twin......funny thing is that we found out we slept better in a twin bed unit....no crawling over each other....live and learn....would never have known that.....p
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote