Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Limited > 1982-1983 Limited
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-09-2007, 05:21 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Northridge , California
Wanted 31 foot Limited

I was wondering how you folks found your early 80's limiteds. I am finding it hard to find one, and have my heart set on that model.

Thanks

Brian
bstjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 06:00 PM   #2
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
We live in Texas. We found ours while on vacation in Colorado five years ago. Its owner had traded it in with Wendish Airstream of Denver on a new 31'. It was always kept in climate controlled storage when not in use and meticulously maintained. It is in "as new" condition and won a blue ribbon in its one and only Vintage competition.

I contacted the previous owner and he came to Texas to a WBCCI rally about four months after we purchased it. He brought us every receipt for every repair he'd ever made to the trailer along with the original purchase contract, service and owner's manuals and a copy of the original sales brochure.

Ours is a 1982, the first year the Limited was produced as a stand alone model. 1982 was also the first year the 34' was produced. Our trailer is somewhat unusual in that it was ordered with the blue stripe and awnings rather than the Limited woodgrain stripe and maroon awnings. There were only two produced with the blue accents that year according to Airstream and its previous owner.

I've recently seen two 1983 Limited trailers for sale on ebay. I believe, however, that both were 34' units. I've also known of an 1983 31' that was for sale privately near Austin in recent monts, but am certain it has now sold.

Keep your eyes open. One will surface, but I doubt there are many out there. The Limited has always been somewhat limited in production numbers given the level of luxury that an Excella and/or Classic offered.

If I can provide any other information, please advise.

GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 08:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
I guess it depends how far you are willing to travel. I found this on the Buy Sell website tonight. I don't know the seller, but the City of Moose Jaw is on the southern end of Saskatchewan, quite close to North Dakota. Who knows, you might be able to wrangle some delivery out of them, particularly if they are intending to head south this winter....

1980 AIRSTREAM EXCELLA LIMITED 31FT, excellent condition, inside and out, new batteries, tires, wheels, bearings, new flat screen TV, built in vacuum, awnings all around, updated tanks, skirting fan bottoms, manuals, $18,500.
306-694-1340 Save Ad

Barry
Old 11-09-2007, 08:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
or there's this one in the Vancouver Craigs listing

1975 31"AIRSTREAM 1st peson with 3000 takes it!!
Old 11-10-2007, 08:26 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Northridge , California
Thanks to all

I thank you all for your messages.

I recently found one on craigs list from Maryland, I live in Los Angeles, Ca, all looked good so I sent them a deposit. I drove cross coountry to get it and when I got there it was a wreck, tons of rust and corrosion, and every single window was bad. They actually had salt crystals on the bottom of the insides. The whole interior had mold on it. I was in a state of shock that they didn't tell me about alll that. So I am hesitant to buy one that I can't see first.

I recently found one in mississipi, it's an 82 31 foot limited, but it doesn't have any drapes, or front couch everything else looks to be in great shape from the pictures. He is asking 12k for it. That sounds like alot to me, what does anyone think?

thanks

Brian
bstjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 11:26 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
colony , Kansas
Do not buy one that has been living on the coast/ East or West / Salt !!!!!!!!!
otek800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 12:02 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Airstream310
on the road , CA and OR this summer!
I found my '82 limited 32 foot @ a repo auction....it is mint
I may be willing to sell it in a year or two when i move into my 310 motorhome.

MaryContrary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 06:20 PM   #8

Medford , Oregon
34' 1982 Limited Airstream

Greetings. I saw your posting on the forums stating you were looking for an 80's Airstream.

I have a 1982 Airstream Limited 34' that I might be interested in selling.

I live in Southern Oregon about 20 miles from the Oregon/California border.

Shoot me over an email if you are at all interested.

durham722@msn.com

Regards,
Brooks
Airstream34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 06:46 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
santa rosa , California
I have an 82 excella in exelent condition. In the SanFrancisco bay area..
Style addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:24 PM   #10
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Why are folks posting these here and not in the Classified Ads?
Old 11-25-2009, 05:41 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Severna Park , Maryland
Maryland 31' Limited

Wow is that the on the eastern shore? I was going to look at that one but thought a 77' I found for 3,500.00. Not a Limited but in great shape and I was going to gut it anyway. I would have liked the maroon exterior scheme but not worth a couple grand. So the only advantage to the limited was the colors. As I recall that trailer did have quite a bit of exterior green slime in the pictures.

Oh yeah...I found after some research here the the apparent salt crystals between the windows are actually a descant that was placed between the window panes at the factory to eliminate moisture. All the 80's trailers I looked at had had more moisture between the panes that the desiccant could handle. Basically the desiccant looked like clearish brownish crystals sitting in the bottom of the air space of the windows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstjames View Post
I thank you all for your messages.

I recently found one on craigs list from Maryland, I live in Los Angeles, Ca, all looked good so I sent them a deposit. I drove cross coountry to get it and when I got there it was a wreck, tons of rust and corrosion, and every single window was bad. They actually had salt crystals on the bottom of the insides. The whole interior had mold on it. I was in a state of shock that they didn't tell me about alll that. So I am hesitant to buy one that I can't see first.

I recently found one in mississipi, it's an 82 31 foot limited, but it doesn't have any drapes, or front couch everything else looks to be in great shape from the pictures. He is asking 12k for it. That sounds like alot to me, what does anyone think?

thanks

Brian
MDSilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 02:50 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1997 34' Limited
jesup , Georgia
i think i may have purchased the 82limited available in austin several months ago. i drove from s.e. georgia to austin. in process of correcting some hidden problems but it is what it is. what makes a limited different from any other 31' model? i have the somewhat brown tattered striping and blue striped awnings on both sides and front and rear
wwhidden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 02:53 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1997 34' Limited
jesup , Georgia
p.s. as a post to previous message i highly recommend a through inspection prior to purchasing. pull carpet back and check floor. assure electrical functions and not a hearty "everything" is okey. check for tank leaks also. out of sight is not necessarily out of mind
wwhidden is offline   Reply With Quote