Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Limited > 1982-1983 Limited
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-09-2004, 11:07 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' Limited
South West BC , British Columbia
Question 1983 32' Classic Dead Bolt worn out

Is there a template to assist the drilling of the interior skin to remove the outside handle that holds the dead bolt at the top and the door bell at the bottom?
Kajendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 05:23 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

I have twice removed this handle to repair the deadbolt. I used the directions in the Airstream Service Manual i purchased from Secretarial Services in Jackson.

In brief, you remove the window trim, drill out the skin rivets between the door and the window, drill our the rivets holding the door trim and pry it out.

This is very brief but go slowly and you will see the next steps.

Hope this helps a little......
baldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 10:12 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' Limited
Thank you Baldeagle. It nows appears that the tumbler is ok but the box holding the bolt has broken the 2 flanges that are riveted to the door jam. Is this black box replaceable?
Old 01-10-2004, 02:20 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Did you get the handle/lock removed and disassembled? If you have yet to look inside that black box, you might discover what i did my first repair trip:

The first time i worked on my deadbolt there was a small spring steel piece of metal inside the black box which had broken. It had jammed the deadbolt mechanism. I found a piece of flat spring metal, bowed it slightly and set it in place. The mechanism has worked ever since. I also had to have a key made for my tumbler as i did not get a key when i purchased the unit.

The second time i took the handle apart, the tumbler had become very encrusted and had to be cleaned. The key started "sticking" and i stopped using it. Imagine how tough it would be to get into an A/S when the main door cannot be opened.

I do not know whether you can find that black box mechanism anywhere.

Good luck!

dave
Old 01-11-2004, 12:32 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' Limited
Hi Dave, No I have not taken the black box apart yet. Yes I got the handle off and the lock out. You don't want to hear how I did that! Needles to say I will need a 4"x10" backing plate on the inside when all is said and done. Did you have to drill the pins in the black box? Mine have been flared on one end. Getting into the trailer would be very difficult indeed. Trying to get out could be deadly. When were escape windows first installed?
Jim
Old 01-12-2004, 03:37 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Jim,

About that "patch", I can assure you, i disassembled the inside of the trailer skin when my wife was gone for the day! Not a pretty sight.

Since it has been over five years since i repaired my lock, i would just be misleading if i went further. Although drilling out and replacing the pins sounds familiar.

The escape issue is dependent on your ability to remove rear window screen quickly. Our trailer came with a four inch long "tail" of screen beading which hung from the top of the screen. A pull on this bead released the screen material and the rear window could then be used as the emergency escape. Don't think it has much to do with the trailer's year, just how the screen bead has been installed. If you do not have such a "tail" i would suggest re-beading. I would not like to face having to get through the screening in an emergency when seconds could count.

Hope this has been helpful.

Take care and good Airstreaming!

dave