Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2012, 11:06 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I just put them both in the back of the truck.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:55 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Midland , Texas
generator rack

I am also a new member and a new owner and have been pondering the same question. I have a 3.5 KW Honda that I would like to take along. My 04 Classic has 2 metal brackets directly below the back bumper that look like they are there to attach something to. I tow with a GMC Yukon. With a bad back and a 95 lb wife a roof rack is out. Inside might be an option with a good ramp and dolly, but still would have to unload it at every stop. Northern Tool sells a great looking aluminum receiver mount rack with a fold down ramp for about $250.00. I would really like to hear more input about a rear mount rack. I'm still pretty much intimidated by this AS but airforums has been a lifesaver up to now.
SStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:01 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
The general rule for Airstreams is nothing on the back bumper or the back. Airstream does have a new bicycle rack for the back but my understanding it is mostly supported by the shell and bicycles are lightweight. There is only a skeleton frame at the back of the Airstream. Anything that mounts on the bumper or to the frame back there is probably going to hammer the frame away from the shell and cause big problems. The shell is actually pretty rigid and the frame pretty floppy in the back. It is very easy to rupture the aluminum attachment between the shell and the floor. On olders units this separation is a problem without any added weight.
The tongue would seem to be the only place for a generator. I have seem them mounted there. That puts part of the weight on the trailer axle and part of the weight on the front axle of the TV if the WD hitch is working correctly.
Putting the Gen in the trailer might be an option, but not one I would opt for a heavy gen. For weight distribution I personally would not put it behind the axles on the trailer regardless of how or where.
Have been on caravans with people who had a Honda 3000 and a post lift to put it in the truck. Have seen people carry a Yamah 1000 in the back of the SUV with a case.

For the spare tire Airstream makes a spare tire rack that carries the tire under the tongue at the front. Can not see the tire and that leaves the space in behind the propane tank for a gen. These tire racks can be installed in almost any trailer. They do have to cut out part of the belly pan on the older trailers. Newer trailers probably have the recess for the spare tire already built in. You just need to duck under the front and look.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:06 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Before we bought a pickup, I put a receiver on the front of my Excursion, and carried my generator on the front. There are pictures somewhere on the forum, don't have access to pictures at the moment.
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:46 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
1993 21' Sovereign
Elm Grove , Wisconsin
Tranporting Honda 2000i and gas can.

We carry our Honda 2000i inside our vehicle. Numerous forum members have recommended the Rubbermaid Action-packer case for this purpose---works great. I have added weatherstripping to the lid for a better seal. The backup gasoline is another issue. I hate to transport additional fuel inside the vehicle. I thought of propane conversion for the generator, but didn't want to use more LP in cold weather boon docking situations. Then I came across a fuel carrying system used by ATV and motorcycle enthusiasts---Rotopax. This system uses extremely rigid fuel containers that can be mounted to the Airstream frame and locked in place. I mounted my Rotopax locking gas container behind the LP enclosure on the street side of the frame. I have only a one gallon container which worked well on the 3 week Glacier/Banff trip that we just concluded. My initial concern that the container might be too small turned out to be unfounded.
Hope this helps.
Safe travels,

Juergen
jhart657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:46 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1960 22' Safari
Colo Spgs , & Tucson
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickerdd
We use a Honda EU3000is generator. Since I don't tow with a pick-up truck and I won't put the generator in the back of my 4Runner I put it in the AS. I haven't found a sealed storage unit large enough for the generator, but I have found an alternative.

I use a very large dog crate for generator storage. The dog crate has a ledge (lip) in the front area that prevents the generator from rolling out. The generator has 2 wheels on the rear so it doesn't roll around very easily on its own. The crate fits very snugly between the 2 twin beds in the sleeping area of the AS. This location also positions the generator above the axles.

Before I put the generator in the crate I drain all the gas out of the tank and drain the carb. The crate also acts as camouflage of sorts when we're camping. It also mutes the sound of the generator a bit.

I just came back from a 2 week camping trip to Kansas (100 miles each way) and the AS had no smell of gas in it from the generator.

It works!
That is brilliant! How large is the dog crate? Do you have pictures of this "setup"?
Old 09-27-2012, 12:45 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhart657
We carry our Honda 2000i inside our vehicle. Numerous forum members have recommended the Rubbermaid Action-packer case for this purpose---works great. I have added weatherstripping to the lid for a better seal. The backup gasoline is another issue. I hate to transport additional fuel inside the vehicle. I thought of propane conversion for the generator, but didn't want to use more LP in cold weather boon docking situations. Then I came across a fuel carrying system used by ATV and motorcycle enthusiasts---Rotopax. This system uses extremely rigid fuel containers that can be mounted to the Airstream frame and locked in place. I mounted my Rotopax locking gas container behind the LP enclosure on the street side of the frame. I have only a one gallon container which worked well on the 3 week Glacier/Banff trip that we just concluded. My initial concern that the container might be too small turned out to be unfounded.
Hope this helps.
Safe travels,

Juergen
Do you have a picture of your Rotopax mounted?
WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:32 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
Airstream does have a new bicycle rack for the back but my understanding it is mostly supported by the shell and bicycles are lightweight. There is only a skeleton frame at the back of the Airstream. Anything that mounts on the bumper or to the frame back there is probably going to hammer the frame away from the shell and cause big problems. Th

Look at the Fiamma bike rake installation video on the Airstream site. The rack is entirely supported by the chassis frame. The braces to the shell are only for lateral (fore and aft) support. Stated capacity is 70 lbs of bikes + 30 lbs of carrier. Now look at the U-beam that supports the bumper on later models, to which the bike carrier attaches. This is not a weak member.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:04 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
For what it's worth...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0183.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	169115  
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:18 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
1993 21' Sovereign
Elm Grove , Wisconsin
Here is a picture of the Rotopax locking fuel container.

Juergen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2266.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	378.0 KB
ID:	169116  
jhart657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:20 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Marietta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget M3

That is brilliant! How large is the dog crate? Do you have pictures of this "setup"?
Thanks! it worked really well on the trip. I'll post a couple of photos of the EU3000is in the dog crate in the next day or so. I also need to check the db rating of the gen in and out of the crate. I really like how the crate helps secure the gen in the AS.
pickerdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:22 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Marietta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickerdd
We use a Honda EU3000is generator. Since I don't tow with a pick-up truck and I won't put the generator in the back of my 4Runner I put it in the AS. I haven't found a sealed storage unit large enough for the generator, but I have found an alternative.

I use a very large dog crate for generator storage. The dog crate has a ledge (lip) in the front area that prevents the generator from rolling out. The generator has 2 wheels on the rear so it doesn't roll around very easily on its own. The crate fits very snugly between the 2 twin beds in the sleeping area of the AS. This location also positions the generator above the axles.

Before I put the generator in the crate I drain all the gas out of the tank and drain the carb. The crate also acts as camouflage of sorts when we're camping. It also mutes the sound of the generator a bit.

I just came back from a 2 week camping trip to Kansas (100 miles each way) and the AS had no smell of gas in it from the generator.

It works!
Oops. That should be "1000" miles each way.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:02 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Marietta , Georgia
Here's the dog crate I use to store the generator and a couple of photos of my EU3000is in the crate:

I measured the db rating of the generator at 20 feet using the Sound Level Meter in Audio Tools (A weighted) and here are the results:

Generator outside of the crate at 90 off axis (looking at the gen side with the exhaust facing my right).

Eco on 59db
Eco off 65db

Generator in the crate facing the same direction:

Eco On 57db
Eco Off 64db

Certainly not a definitive db rating test, but a possible use of a big dog crate. I route the cable for the lock through the bottom area of the frame and attach it to one of the axles.

Note: I'm not sure of the distance Honda uses or the db weighting (unweighted, A or C or something else) to determine the db rating. All I can say is that the EU3000is performed perfectly on our trip to Kansas. I kept 3 Airstreams batteries charged all week by plugging into the generator. It stayed on eco mode the whole time except when I ran my AC one night. Awesome generator!!
Old 10-09-2012, 06:20 AM   #34
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickerdd View Post
I kept 3 Airstreams batteries charged all week by plugging into the generator.

Just sayin'...we have been on the road an entire month with no genny, or hookups, and kept the batteries charged by driving (at least every couple of days).
Have spent 2 weeks at the beach with no hookups and no vehicle charging with 2 Gr 27 AGM's.

No A/C of course...but we run a Maxxair which is fine for us.

My point; don't get trapped into thinking you need to drag a genny along for every trip. Good power management is much less hassle. A week on the road should be easy with good batteries...

p.s. We do run a genny when ski camping...power demand is much greater in winter for us.

Rock on...
Old 10-09-2012, 06:41 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Marietta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex View Post
<snip>
My point; don't get trapped into thinking you need to drag a genny along for every trip. Good power management is much less hassle. A week on the road should be easy with good batteries...

p.s. We do run a genny when ski camping...power demand is much greater in winter for us.

Rock on...
In my situation we were camped at a music festival for 14 days with no shore power. I don't have solar panels so the genny is necessary. We had 4 TT's parked next to each other (3 were Airstreams of various sizes) and all were plugged into my generator. I ran the generator 3 hours each morning and that was enough to charge the batteries in all TT's. It worked out well.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:46 AM   #36
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Ohh…gotcha’.

Your first post read like you were out for one week and charged 3 batteries.
That is different than 14 days stationary and charging batteries from 3 Airsteams…thanks for clarifying.

Any way…I think we all see a lot of Folks run gennys constantly…just because…when really a little conservation would go a long ways

I agree...solar would be nice to have...

B
Old 10-09-2012, 07:40 AM   #37
3 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Marietta , Georgia
I wasn't very clear in my post. Sorry about that. In addition to charging the batteries in 4 TT's I also used the generator to charge 3 standalone 12-volt batteries to power LED's and cell phones in our tents. We have a pretty good sized camp at the festival.

I definitely agree that conservation and careful planning will go a long way towards extending the life of your batteries on a trip. I changed out about 1/2 of the interior lights in our AS to LED and this helped reduce our battery usage considerably. The biggest voltage draw from our setup is the furnace, which we used sporadically a couple of nights. That sucker is a power hog!
Old 10-09-2012, 10:07 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhart657 View Post
Here is a picture of the Rotopax locking fuel container.

Juergen
+100 on the RotoPax; $$ well spent! We have two under the canopy in the back of the truck. It is a super design with a superior/secure/safe mounting system.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:42 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Queens , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhart657 View Post
Hope this helps.
Safe travels,

Juergen
The 24 gallon Action Packer will not hold a Honda 2000i.
Do you use the 35 gallon size ?
thx.
Dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:04 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Guess where the Honda 3000 is on my boat. BTW I added the wireless remote start kit, well worth the cost, and a easy install. I also have 2 of the 2000 units which can't be beat for portability. But the electric start on the 3000 sure makes life easy.

1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote