Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Sovereign > 1984 - 1989 Sovereign
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-20-2006, 08:32 AM   #1
WBCCI 11067 WDCU

1986 25' Sovereign
Atlanta , Georgia
Dry rot on the flooring above the stair

Hey guys,

I recently ripped up the carpeting in my new 86 and found some moisture issues in the front and by the front door and navigation table. The chip board sub-floor near the door is rotted out and I was able to poke my finger through it. I think I am OK on repairing the section of flooring, but I was trying to figure out the cause.

I noticed they sealed up the seem between the underbelly and the plastic transition strip with expandle foam and probably took care of the problem in the front. I think the area around the front door my be an unsolved problem. I noticed that there is a gap between the stair well and the plastic underbelly that I don't remember having on my 1978 International. Do you guys have any gaps?
2007 Chevy Silverado 1500
2007 Toyota Land Cruiser
ckeysor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 08:40 AM   #2
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Chris, My 86 Excella had a similar situation. to a much lesser degree. No floor replacement needed. My problem was a leaking gasket on top of the roof where the center lights are. The water was leaking thru and running down the inside of the interior walls, then migrated to the floor and behind the stove. I'm currently resealing all my roof holes. Hope this helps Tim

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 10:14 AM   #3
WBCCI 11067 WDCU

1986 25' Sovereign
Atlanta , Georgia
ah yes

Thanks, I didn't think about that as a possibility, but very likely. Which center lights and/or gasket are you referring?
2007 Toyota Land Cruiser
Old 09-20-2006, 12:14 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Columbia , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorgunner
Chris, My 86 Excella had a similar situation. to a much lesser degree. No floor replacement needed. My problem was a leaking gasket on top of the roof where the center lights are. The water was leaking thru and running down the inside of the interior walls, then migrated to the floor and behind the stove. I'm currently resealing all my roof holes. Hope this helps Tim
Hey, I have a much older trailer but what did you use to replace the gaskets??
McLogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 12:39 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Porch Light or A/C Gasket?

We had a leak around the edge of the "porch light" over the door on our '25, and that dripped water insode door frame and onto floor just inside the door... A little Vulkem and some work replacing the bulb with an amber version (think "bug light..") and cleaning up the frosted plastic lens and all was well.

We also had a leak around the air conditioner "gasket", which is 14" x 14" piece of black foam between the roof and the bottom of the A/C.. When it hardens and leaks, water will drip onto floor of trailer in rain or when A/C is running and condensate pools above roof level. This can also get water between inner and outer skins and then gravity will do its thing, and water will somehow make floor wet...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 05:27 PM   #6
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
use the search butto to find out about sealing-Chris my rig is a little longer than yours it has had the light in the dining are replaced with a fantastic fan. That's where the leak is. As far as sealing I'm gonna wait up till I go to the Nor Cal Rally and speak with some other folks. In the marine industry we used to use a product called Dolfinite, I know this stuff works that was 20 years ago, hey any one know if it exists? going google

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 04:15 PM   #7
WBCCI 11067 WDCU

1986 25' Sovereign
Atlanta , Georgia
Thanks to all. I think that the center light is the issue and certainly easy enough to fix.
2007 Toyota Land Cruiser