Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2002, 11:21 PM   #1
Rivet Master

'85 Sovereign 25'

For a 85 Sovereign floorplan see: http://www.airstreamphotos.com/photo...php?photo=1269

I have this 85 Sovereign 25 foot with side bath, rear full bed, and a vanity/dresser. This seems to be a somewhat rare floorplan, and its virtues are not intuitively grasped. However, having lived with it for a while, I would not have any other - at least not now that I have improved it some. You may want to look at my remodel pictures.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 11:23 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Talking Nicely Done

I really like what you have done with your 25'. I have a '90 Excella 25' with the twins and envy the double. As you say, there are not many around. Hunter has a '96 double in a wide body.

Our stove and oven seem to work fine, so I plan to leave for now. We've only been out once so don't know how much the single sink would be of benefit. I like to use a plastic dish pan to wash dishes in, and the double sinks are probably too small to fit much of a dishpan into. We read that the oven will work fine if one puts in a ceramic tile / or pizza stone in the bottom to disperse the heat.

We have the convection microwave and have yet read the directions on how to use it. Hear it is a delight to cook with.

Great counter space with your addition. I have used the stove cover closed to set the clean dishes on while drying. We also have the swing up added counter where your catalytic heater was.

BTW, did you try the catalytic heater out. Looks like a great place for one. Sure helps the furnace from what I read. Thinking of a Wave 6.

Steve in Savannah
Sav'h Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 11:33 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up Nice~

Mark, I just finished looking at your project..Very nicely done~!!

QUESTION
When you took out your spice rack, did you have holes in the wall or, was this somehow fasten from the top? I've thought abt doing the same here..
Again, very nice~!
ciao
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 11:56 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Mark,
Is there any kind of divider (sliding doors) to seperate the rear bedroom from the rest of the trailer?

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 12:58 PM   #5
Rivet Master

"QUESTION
When you took out your spice rack, did you have holes in the wall or, was this somehow fasten from the top? I've thought abt doing the same here.. "

It was riveted into the wall on both sides. I have several ideas for covering the holes, but have done nothing yet. Probably my best option is to use that liquid for repairing chips in appliance enamel.

Mark
Old 10-30-2002, 07:22 PM   #6
Rivet Master

"Is there any kind of divider (sliding doors) to seperate the rear bedroom from the rest of the trailer?"

Yes. There is a folding accordian door. Formerly, this could be used only when retiring, as the floor between the bed and vanity was too narrow to stand and change clothes. When I built a new vanity/dresser I slimmed it down about three inches as there is no point in building drawers too deep to open fully (the lower drawers will eventually bump into the bed). Three inches does not seem like much, but it is half the addtional space in the wide bodies. It is now just barely possible to change clothes in the bedroom.

Mark
Old 10-30-2002, 08:22 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Mark,
I like the layout of your trailer and have been considering rear twins. I'm not really convinced that at just under 6', I'm shrinking as I get older, that twins would be comfortable for me. I had thought that the rear twins could be changed by taking the nightstand out and running a doublebed or queen mattress sideways across the trailer. Your layout looks manageable.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 09:23 PM   #8
Rivet Master

One possible downside to changing to my layout is that, just like your twins, you need a custom matress for the curve at the rear. We had one made at a local mattress factory by providing a template. We could have had it made extra long, but we do fine on standard matresses, and this gives us juuuuuust enough room to get around that corner of the bed.

It also depends on your outside storage. I have storage plus the water heater on the street side, and the lower portion of the vanity/dresser is outside storage.

Building cabinets for the corners of an Airstream is a pain. Curves in both the vertical and horizontal planes!

Mark
Old 08-07-2013, 12:11 PM   #9
Dilla Villa

1985 25' Sovereign
Alvin , Texas
I'm going to use this as a mattress for my Airstream. There's a bed inside! CordaRoy's Sleepers - Convertible Beanbags These are soft, easily manipulated around corners and comfy. Good luck.
TammyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:19 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
Okc , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by j54mark View Post
For a 85 Sovereign floorplan see: http://www.airstreamphotos.com/photo...php?photo=1269 I have this 85 Sovereign 25 foot with side bath, rear full bed, and a vanity/dresser. This seems to be a somewhat rare floorplan, and its virtues are not intuitively grasped. However, having lived with it for a while, I would not have any other - at least not now that I have improved it some. You may want to look at my remodel pictures. Mark
What size/manuf. tires do you currently have on your 85AS?
Thanks
Lee
LeeJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:20 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
Okc , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by TammyP View Post
I'm going to use this as a mattress for my Airstream. There's a bed inside! CordaRoy's Sleepers - Convertible Beanbags These are soft, easily manipulated around corners and comfy. Good luck.
Tammy
What size tires/manuf. do you have on your 85 AS?
Thanks
Lee
Old 11-06-2013, 11:19 AM   #12
Dilla Villa

1985 25' Sovereign
Alvin , Texas
They are Dynatrac Express Highway 7.00 - 15" 8 Ply Rating.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:09 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
Okc , Oklahoma
Thank you Tammy. Did you get them at Discount Tire or somewhere else?
Lee
Old 11-07-2013, 11:24 AM   #14
Dilla Villa

1985 25' Sovereign
Alvin , Texas
Wink tires

I have no idea. We purchased this used and haven't changed anything yet.

We ended up having to strip the whole thing inside because of mold. You've REALLY got to know what to look for when getting used stuff like this I guess. We were assured that there was no water damage ~ HAHAHA ... the sub floor was rotting, there are rivets missing and now the mold damage. SIGH....... but we're taking it all as it comes.

Tammy