Old 05-21-2013, 05:22 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Tampa , Florida
What are the weak points 1988 31' (33'?) Excella

I'm up to my ears in a shell off restoration of my 1976 Overlander, and feel like I can help anyone with any part of this year & model's weakness, failure points and things to look for.

Can anyone help me with the 1988? Its advertised as a 33', but it only has 2 axels, so I assume its the 31'? (Doesn't the next size up have triple axles? 33' or 34'??)

Its a rear queen, center bath. Looks pretty clean in the pics, and I'm going to look at it tomorrow.

My questions are things like:
1. Subfloor: I recall Airstream went from 3/4" plywood in the 50s and 60s, to 1/2 ply in the 70s, and then went to pressboard in the 80's. Is this true? Does anyone see that as a problem or weakness?
2. Frame: This thing is long... Does the 80's frame address sag? Or is it reinforced to accomodate this length?
3. Holding Tanks: What size tanks does this have? And where are they located? Is the mounting/ tank pan designed better than the 70'sl? Are they easily accessible?
4. Axles: Will my brand new axles that I bought for my '76 fit on this? (and wheels 6x5.5")
5. Alclad: I recall reading that the 80's does not have the same aluminum as the 70's and earlier. Good? Bad? Is the only difference that it can't be polished to a mirror shine like the older ones?

Any other issues or concerns for this specific year and model?

Oh- and also, please advise any improvements or things that are cool with this.

Thank you all for your help!
Mic

Old 05-21-2013, 06:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
We have a 1988 32' Excella. Airstream referred to it as a 33' on a repair ticket. Sales brochure for that year calls it a 32' It has OSB flooring. Weak point on ours was the Vista windows in front. Leaked enough to rot the floor and combined with some battery acid probably rusted through the A frame. We had to have Airstream replace the A-frame. Other than that it has bee a solid trailer. Center bath, tanks near the axle under the floor. Al is not Alclad. Has a mill finish and clear coat. Have seen them polished to a shine and did not really like the look. Good sized tanks. Do not know about the axles. The trailer is still a narrow body. We replaced the toilet and the WH and did the dump valves. PO replace the frig. GVW about 8000 to 8500 lbs, I think. Pulls well but low and a lot of overhang at the back. We keep ours parked on a lot and take it out on 1 short trip a year. Nice size for living in.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Tampa , Florida
Thanks for the reply!

Are all 3 tanks in same place? Does yours sag at the rear? Is that just inherent to the length? Lastly, do 80's still have the bumper plate issue with water getting under the rubrail? Although i suppose if it does, its alot easier fix w rear bed vs my rear bath.

thanks!
Old 05-21-2013, 06:36 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
The rear bumper plate is a short comming of all of them. The OSB floors tend to rot and fall apart with less water exposure. Don't be afraid to look under the bed and pull up carpet in the back. Your 76 axels are probably too narrow but I am not 100% sure. The rating maybe higher as well on the 88. Your 88 axels should still be good if they still flex (rock the trailer) and are not below horizontal. Center bath is relatively easy to fix the rear floor and they should not sag unless the frame is broke.

Perry
Old 05-21-2013, 06:55 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Tampa , Florida
Good stuff- keep it coming!
Old 05-21-2013, 07:40 PM   #6
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
I think in 1988 there was a 33' Airstream trailer. It was the Land Yacht, or Squarestream.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:59 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Bonita , California
We love our 88' 32 foot. I was told I have 60 gallons fresh water and 35 gallon black and grey tanks. PO still regrets letting it go. Hardwood floors in the kitchen with no dinette. Lots of room in the front. Our unit calls it the apartment. It does ride low with a long back end. Need to watch for dips in the road.
RUMSHIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:40 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUMSHIP View Post
We love our 88' 32 foot. I was told I have 60 gallons fresh water and 35 gallon black and grey tanks. PO still regrets letting it go. Hardwood floors in the kitchen with no dinette. Lots of room in the front. Our unit calls it the apartment. It does ride low with a long back end. Need to watch for dips in the road.
The axles for your 76, if you got them from us, would have a rating of 3500 pounds.

The 88 needs 4000 pound axles, if not even 4500 pounds each.

Yes the axles will fit, but they will not properly carry the weight, and would be ruined in a matter of just a few months.

Andy