Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2016, 11:19 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
Johnson City , Tennessee
Water Leak in water line

We have a water leak in our 1988 Excella 25' We can see the elbow which is leaking but can't figure out how to get to it. When we open the door under the sink we see the elbow down on left near wheel well cover. If anyone has ideas how to get to it let us know.
Grammie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 11:28 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
if you can't get your hand to it and use a close quarters tubing cutter to cut out the leak you are just going to have to remove cabinetry till you can.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 11:51 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Tucson , Arizona
If its the elbow I think it is,the pipe goes to the toilet.Just replaced mine.Remove the door,I cut the tubing on the run near the door,then where I could get at it to the left & behind toilet.Removed tubing & used sharkbite fittings.Not easy but it can be done.Leave the coupling off till you get it through the hole,then connect it to the tubing that goes to toilet.Connect elbow & coupling before you put it through the door.
Good luck.
winston10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 05:52 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
Sagle , Idaho
I have a similar leak in my 1987 32 ft excella. Its an elbow I can touch, so I wonder if there is any product such a a mastic I could paste around the connection between the elbow and the water line which would stop the leak. I understand I would have to get the pressure off so the leak stopped long enough to dry and then paste on the mastic. I am soliciting opinions as to what product would be most likely to work. Such as Jeld Weld or etc???
southsaglejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 10:37 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Tucson , Arizona
I tried that with no success.Used a fiberglass cloth with a 2 part epoxy.The problem is the elbows angles.Then I replaced the elbow with a snakebite fitting.Job done.
Good luck.
Old 10-03-2016, 05:00 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
Sagle , Idaho
Winston10, May I presume you used a Sharkbite push fitting? Sharkbite is a brand name. Thanks.
Old 10-11-2016, 12:34 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Tucson , Arizona
Yes. Sharkbite push fittings.Home Depot,Lowes & other stores carry them.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:46 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
Sagle , Idaho
As a followup, I was adjusting the positions of the three elbow fittings to attempt to determine if I could get a cutter to the elbow to remove it so as to put in a Sharkbite fitting. I noticed when I adjusted the location of the fitting and tubing that the leak at the elbow stopped. I still have another leak but it appears it is either at the fresh water petcock or the drain plug in the bottom of the fresh water tank, both of which can be accessed through by removing the small access cover.
Old 10-12-2016, 10:11 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Scottsdale , Southwest
Bath or kitchen sink? If Kitchen the pantry slide out can be removed and lower panel opened up to access the wheel well in that area. Good luck.
NicheVintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 11:20 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
Sagle , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicheVintage View Post
Bath or kitchen sink? If Kitchen the pantry slide out can be removed and lower panel opened up to access the wheel well in that area. Good luck.
I do not understand "pantry slide out". Can you explain? My leak was initially in one of a few water lines at an elbow connection to a water line located below the floor under the cabinet area under the kitchen sink which location is curbside. This area under the floor is access through a hinged access door in the cabinetry below the kitchen sink. Adjusting the alignment of the water line at the elbow fitting of one water line removed stress at the junction of the elbow and the water line. That adjustment properly aligned the connection and stopped the leak. So then I checked for driping under the trailer by looking between the curbside wheels. Water could still be seen dripping out of the access plate area of the belly pan just below the bottom of the fresh water tank where the the fresh water tank petcock and drain plug are located. Again: This access plate is curbside and between the two tires. There is a forum discussion about the details of replacing the drain plug and petcock so I know I can do that with no problem. In fact I did replace the petcock.

NicheVintage: What is meant by "pantry slide out".
Old 11-25-2016, 11:54 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Scottsdale , Southwest
To the right of the sink where the pantry is will completely slide out you will need to also remove the rails / tracks after the pantry is out. Then remove the bottom piece of wood. Once that is out you will gain access to the plumbing running from kitchen to bath and tanks. That maybe where the leak is originating. Hope this helps.
NicheVintage is offline   Reply With Quote