Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Excella > 1987 - 1989 Excella
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-18-2003, 10:37 AM   #1

Question Preventative Maint.

We purchased our 89 Excella 29 last summer and used it as a lake house hooked up to shore power. All mechanical systems seem to be working just fine but can't keep the batteries charged on shore power and electric jack will not work unless hooked up to truck. Any ideas of what I should look at first? Also although the unit has been professionally serviced by the first two owners, is there any preventative maint. that I should get to right away due to the age of the unit. I'm eager to learn as much as I can about the unit. Thanks Dan
Daniel Conroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 09:42 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1996 30' Excella
Brighton , Michigan
Dan,
Have you had the batteries checked and how old are they? There is a converter which charges the batteries. This converter may have an on/off switch, I don't know what year A/S began installing them. It is located behind the curtains on the curb side between the curved front window and the side window. If you don't have a switch it may be the converter is bad. The jack works off the batteries and when your truck is hooked up will be powered thru the 12v feed from your truck.
Jim
apple 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 09:54 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
It could be.....

that someone rewired the jack to operate off of the 12V charge line from the truck. Or as apple 1 stated, the converter is turned off or defective. Try charging the batteries with a regular battery charger, they try using the jack. If it still does not work, then someone has changed the wiring to the jack.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 10:00 AM   #4
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
or it could be

that the battery disconnect is in the off position.

john
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 10:34 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
I would find it strange that somebody would rewire the jack because it works on either battery OR truck power so what would be the use? On the other hand, people do odd things when in a pinch to get something to work! Check the DC distribution panel for a reset button for the jack. My 94 has one next to the converter and it was popped when I bought the trailer and the jack was dead. I pushed it in and it has worked every since. Not sure what year they went to that type of distribution panel though. Probably won't help the charging problem, but who knows what you will find in there.
Randy
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 05:27 AM   #6

Thanks for the ideas, I didn't know it at the time but the batteries were "shorted-out" when we bought it. I found that out after towing it for 50 miles to our camp site and being overwhelmed by the "rotten-egg" smell and seeing them steaming. The local battery service center told me ( because the batteries walls were bowed out) that they had been frozen. I replaced them with Sears marine deep cycle. I have them out of the unit and on trickle chargers for the winter and will check for that switch when I open the trailer for the spring. Any other maint. I should plan for the spring? By the way what do the "rivets" mean? Dan
Daniel Conroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 06:13 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Smile Welcome

Welcome Dan,

The "rivets" come with the amount of post that you add within the forum. You'll be getting your first soon.

If you click on the search button & type in "karma" you'll be able to read exactly how they are given out.

I'd would of provided the link, but I'm a little "challenged" in the tech department, but I'm sure one of the many members who aren't will provide the link.

John
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 08:48 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Here's a link Karma & Rivets

Welcome to the Forum Dan!

Shari
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote