Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Excella > 1987 - 1989 Excella
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-08-2005, 08:59 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Illuminated rocker switches

I frequently and inadvertently leave on the two outside lights by the door of our Excella. These sometimes stay on overnight, wasting electricity, particularly when boondocking. Does anyone have a source for rocker switches that illuminate when the switch is on, and that will fit the openings for the original switches beside the oven? If not, perhaps a warning light or LED would be good. Advice, please.
Nick
Old 12-08-2005, 09:08 AM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Do you know the dimensions? I have a nearby electronic wholesaler that stocks dozens of different sizes. I could mail you a few.

Otherwise, Radioshack has a few in stock. I found it is harder to find 'un-lighted' switches.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 10:30 AM   #3
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I have had the same problem ...

and the lens on the patio light will soften if left on all night. Ask me how I know!

I just yesterday wired in LED as a pilot light to warn me that the water pump has been accidentally turned on since the position of the 3-way switches gave me no clue. I bought a package of 3 green LEDs at Pep Boys for $5.95 that were intended for automotive adornment. See my post under 2005 Classic 28.

The LEDs simply press into a 7/32" hole and have about 2' of wire attached. They are super bright and really need a dropping resistor to make them less bright although I haven't checked yet to find the proper value for the resistor.

I drilled a hole in the monitor panel to mount the one for my water pump. I think you have a good idea and it would be very easy for me to to drill the 7/32" holes in the wood above and below the light switch and tap into the wiring.

I think that you have suggested a great use for my other two LEDs.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 10:36 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vernon , British Columbia
Switches

Radioshack. Might not be an exact fit. I made a new backing plate out of a piece of oak from Home Depot. I split the line and made it so I could have both lights on together (originally you had porch or patio light on).

Ron
ronpovey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 11:02 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Excella
Santa Barbara , California
Outside lights indicator

Here is another approach to indicate if an exterior light is on. The previous owner of my Airstream took a short piece of clear "lucite rod", drilled a hole over the entry door and an inserted the rod to extend into the light housing over the door. The rod would pick up the light and shine through the rod to the interior side which extended about 1" into the room. The visible part of the rod would be illuminated when the exterior light was on.

I am always amazed at the ingeniuty of others.....

1984 31' Excella, mid bath, king size bed
1998 Chevrolet Suburban K2500, 7.4L/454 c.i., 4WD, Pullrite Hitch
AIR No. 2375

"You know... life is just the way it is...."
markparker22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 03:02 PM   #6
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Saw some at NAPA yesterday, but I don't know if they would be the exact size. I suspect Grainger or possibly Greybar might also carry them.

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 04:48 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
I've been thinking about wiring one of these 12 volt LED lights in-line with my water pump switch so I won't leave it on. Not that I ever have...

http://www.stylinconcepts.com/part.aspx/partid/24160
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 07:41 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
Do you know the dimensions? I have a nearby electronic wholesaler that stocks dozens of different sizes. I could mail you a few
Don, many thanks for that. I'll PM you. I think John's LED solution is my favored one at present. I managed to leave both lights on all last night! Thanks for all the input.
Nick.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:53 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska
and the lens on the patio light will soften if left on all night. Ask me how I know!
John, if your lights are fitted with the 2.1 amp 1156 bulbs, one solution is to fit the 1.44 amp 1141 bulbs, as recommended by Andy at http://www.airforums.com/forum...ting-8427.html
I have had no melting problems since adopting this suggestion.
Nick.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:58 AM   #10
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
Lighted switch

I have blue switch's in my Argosy.
NAPA has the 1"X1/2" in Blue, Yellow and Red. They are 3 pole just like the original and are easy too swap out.
NAPA also has the spot light.

Don
Gunnyusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 01:42 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
Marine supply for switch

Check some of the marine supply catalogs such as West Marine. All the switches in my Boston Whaler are this type. They look good and are a very quality switch.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 11:23 AM   #12
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcrowhurst
John, if your lights are fitted with the 2.1 amp 1156 bulbs, one solution is to fit the 1.44 amp 1141 bulbs, as recommended by Andy at http://www.airforums.com/forum...ting-8427.html
I have had no melting problems since adopting this suggestion.
Nick.
I was aware of Andy's suggestion and did that on the previous trailer. Unfortunately, the upper light was left on all night in the new 28 before I worked my way down the to-do list far enough to do anytning about the bulb. The lens just has a slight bulge at the bottom that no one else has noticed up till now.

I actually forgot and left the lower light on all night last night at the Blanco Forum Rally. It was on for my wife and neither of us thought to turn it off when she came in. My switch is a center off that controls both lights. By the end of this week, there will be two tell-tale LEDs installed beside the switch, one for each of the lights it controls.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 08:00 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Easy connection to the back of switches

I'm using Radio Shack LEDS (about $2) for this task. I need to tap into the switched power male terminal of each rocker switch. An easy way to do this is to convert the single male spade switched power terminal on the back of the rocker switch to a double male spade terminal. The original switched power wire goes back on one spade, and the red wire to the LED goes on the other spade. The black wire on the LED goes to a convenient ground. It took some time to locate a supplier of the spade adapters, but I eventually found a pack of 15 at NAPA, part# 784571, "1 female to 2 male adapters" for a couple of dollars. If you can't find a supplier, I have ten I will probably never use, so PM me with your address and I'll post a couple to the first five respondents.
Nick.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:23 AM   #14
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcrowhurst
. . . An easy way to do this is to convert the single male spade switched power terminal on the back of the rocker switch to a double male spade terminal.
Nick.
Nick,

You have my total admiration for doing it right.

I admit I would have twisted the two wires together and used the next larger size female terminal.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 08:14 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
Cole Hersee Illuminated Switch

Nick and all, I have been looking around for a source of illuminated switches that could be a plug-n-play replacement to the stock switch made by Sigma. Here is the closest match I could find:
Cole Hersee Narrow Body Illuminated switch - $7.49

I know, it's a little expensive (hey, it's West Marine), but that may help someone else find a cheaper source.

Is this the right style for you guys?
Attached Images

Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 02:44 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westfalia
Nick and all, is this the right style for you guys?
Yes, and thanks for your help.Nick.