Originally Posted by PetesPup
Thanks to all. You all have confirmed my suspicions.
Checked out your pictures. Beautiful. I have hundres of questions for you. Hope you can tolerate me. I love what you did to your trailer. You have done or am doing many of the same thing I am interested in doing.
You have the same finish. Are these Red or White Oak?
Why did you run your new flooring in the width vs length direction?
Is your tambour working ok?
Thanks for the compliment. I am not really sure what type of oak was used, but if I had to venture a guess I would say red oak with a walnut stain. I say this because when I was putting down trim in the hallway under the wardrobe cabinets and under the bathroom sliding door, I bought red oak threshold and stained it with Minwax walnut stain and it is darned near a perfect match.
There are a few reasons why I ran the laminate flooring across the trailer instead of lengthwise.
1. I set out loose planks both across and lengthwise and both the boss (my wife) and I decided we liked the look of the planks running across the trailer.
2. When I did the ciphering for layout I figured it would be less waste and fewer mitre cuts. It would also be easier to get a straight baseline to work from, we used the front of the sofa frame to get our line.
3. The flooring we used (WilsonArt Anson Cherry) was left over from a remodel of our non-mobile home and I got as far as the hallway when I ran out of planks
. I went to order more planks and of course they no longer made them in the same stain
. So I ordered the next closest match. The colors are dead on, but the finish on the new boards is a tad bit glossier. So I put a threshold in at the refrigerator and ran the rest of the trailer with the new planks. Had I run them lengthwise the gloss difference would have stuck out like a sore thumb. Now the transition is in the darker hallway and you really have to look close to see the difference.
After pulling up the lovely mauve carpet, staples, and tack strips I rented two undercut saws from Home Depot and undercut all the cabinetry so I could let the flooring run wild under the cabinets. That way I would not have to worry about the necessary expansion / contraction gaps at the ends and I would not have to use much shoe or quarter round molding.
The toughest part was getting the radius cut on the boards back in the bedroom. The bed on ours runs across the trailer so I had to floor up against the rear curb side radius. To trim out in the radius I used double sided carpet tape and afixed a strip of carpet that matches the walls.
We also lucked out with the tambour doors. All of ours work great. I lubed them with a tiny bit of lock graphite and they slide with no problems. Fortunately there are only four tambours. Two up front and two in the rear.
If you have anymore questions, go ahead and fire away.