Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Excella > 1987 - 1989 Excella
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-15-2009, 02:11 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Meridian , Idaho
Cabinet Finish

Have an '87 Excella 1000 and it has Oak cabinets in it....beautiful! Proud new owner, by the way. I am in the process of redoing the interior and wish to match the cabinet finish. It looks like Watco or a polyurethane/watco mix. Anyone know? Are these original? or did someone do a really nice job? Red or White Oak?

Thanks!
PetesPup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 06:12 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I don't know what the orginal finish is, but I've touched up some scratches in our '01 Excella by wiping on polyurethane, and it matches pretty good.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 07:03 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
PetesPup,
Welcome to the forum. We also have an '87 Excella 1000 and it too has oak cabinetry. Yours is probably original. You can see some interior photos of ours in our gallery for you to make a comparison. We use lemon oil on the wood for maintnenance. Enjoy your Excella and post some pictures

http://www.airforums.com/photos/brow...eimages&c=3361
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 10:03 AM   #4
Refurbished 89 Excella

1988 29' Excella
Sugar Valley , Georgia
Minwax makes a product that is a liquid oil for rubbing on. I clean the cabinets good with a household cleaner, then wipe down with mineral spirits to get the dust. After that is dry I put the oil on lightly. It soaks down into the scuffs, mars, and cracks. Seems to rejuvinate the original finish nicely..............Good luck ........Dennis
DKDarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 11:55 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Meridian , Idaho
Thanks to all. You all have confirmed my suspicions.
DEITZ645,
Checked out your pictures. Beautiful. I have hundres of questions for you. Hope you can tolerate me. I love what you did to your trailer. You have done or am doing many of the same thing I am interested in doing.

You have the same finish. Are these Red or White Oak?
Why did you run your new flooring in the width vs length direction?
Is your tambour working ok?

Cheers,

Bill
PetesPup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 05:18 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesPup View Post
Thanks to all. You all have confirmed my suspicions.
DEITZ645,
Checked out your pictures. Beautiful. I have hundres of questions for you. Hope you can tolerate me. I love what you did to your trailer. You have done or am doing many of the same thing I am interested in doing.

You have the same finish. Are these Red or White Oak?
Why did you run your new flooring in the width vs length direction?
Is your tambour working ok?

Cheers,

Bill
Bill,
Thanks for the compliment. I am not really sure what type of oak was used, but if I had to venture a guess I would say red oak with a walnut stain. I say this because when I was putting down trim in the hallway under the wardrobe cabinets and under the bathroom sliding door, I bought red oak threshold and stained it with Minwax walnut stain and it is darned near a perfect match.

There are a few reasons why I ran the laminate flooring across the trailer instead of lengthwise.

1. I set out loose planks both across and lengthwise and both the boss (my wife) and I decided we liked the look of the planks running across the trailer.

2. When I did the ciphering for layout I figured it would be less waste and fewer mitre cuts. It would also be easier to get a straight baseline to work from, we used the front of the sofa frame to get our line.

3. The flooring we used (WilsonArt Anson Cherry) was left over from a remodel of our non-mobile home and I got as far as the hallway when I ran out of planks. I went to order more planks and of course they no longer made them in the same stain. So I ordered the next closest match. The colors are dead on, but the finish on the new boards is a tad bit glossier. So I put a threshold in at the refrigerator and ran the rest of the trailer with the new planks. Had I run them lengthwise the gloss difference would have stuck out like a sore thumb. Now the transition is in the darker hallway and you really have to look close to see the difference.

After pulling up the lovely mauve carpet, staples, and tack strips I rented two undercut saws from Home Depot and undercut all the cabinetry so I could let the flooring run wild under the cabinets. That way I would not have to worry about the necessary expansion / contraction gaps at the ends and I would not have to use much shoe or quarter round molding.

The toughest part was getting the radius cut on the boards back in the bedroom. The bed on ours runs across the trailer so I had to floor up against the rear curb side radius. To trim out in the radius I used double sided carpet tape and afixed a strip of carpet that matches the walls.

We also lucked out with the tambour doors. All of ours work great. I lubed them with a tiny bit of lock graphite and they slide with no problems. Fortunately there are only four tambours. Two up front and two in the rear.

If you have anymore questions, go ahead and fire away.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:38 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
Hershey , Pennsylvania
We have built a new cabinet front for the fridge cabinet and modified the kitchen base cabinet with white oak stained with Minwax Gunstock. It is close, a bit more on the red side but close.
89Excella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:29 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Hey all, I'm getting ready to rebuild the bulk head walls and bathroom cabinets. I'm looking for some ideas on Stain colors. I'm going to go with "white birch" ply wood, and would like to do something close in colors to the 1960s.

Tags
excella, finish, oak, cabinet